The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-09-2013, 07:04 AM

Default Playing Less to say More - and how your gear evolves (Deep Guitar Thoughts...)

...for a Sunday morning

So I have played for 35+ years - started on acoustic (pawn shop Yamaha FG-75), primarily played electric for a couple of decades, but am really focused on acoustics now.

Every guitar player is different - there is NO right answer and NO ONE's approach is better. For me, I have always wanted to say more while playing less - in other words, I have felt I over played - over strummed, over-dweedled my leads, played a scale when a single note would do, etc.

The basic thought this morning while I have a cup of coffee and wait for my Sunday paper to arrive is: When I find myself playing better, it is because I am playing a simple, excellent guitar that provides less support to my sound.

What do I mean?

- When I played electrics, I went from having a lot of effects boxes, to fewer and fewer. Effects could be near-term inspiring for a bit, and are essential in a gigging covers band, but became a distraction for me. Same with amps - the fewer controls the better - and I moved towards Telecasters because they have a super-simple layout and you control your tone with your hands and by operating the on-board knobs which have a huge effect on tone. (what's the saying? You can't hide with a Tele.)

- Moving to acoustic -
---> I went from loving rosewood to embracing mahogany. Less ring, less harmonic overtones.

---> Then I began digging into vintage Gibson flattops - and even more simple, stripped-down mahogany thunk. Many folks don't "get" the Gibson acoustic tone (or get it fine, but don't like it), I think because they are simply more used to having more "foundation" of harmonic overtones and sustain and can't quite / don't want to process how to sound good with a very different sonic base underneath their playing - which is totally fair and reasonable for them.

---> I have recently gotten a great old Gibson archtop - I, like most players on this message board I assume, have had very little experience with archtops. Basically, imagine a spectrum in your mind - put a rich, reverby/sustainy RW Martin to the far right - moving back to the left on that spectrum, at about halfway, put a classic mahogany Gibson flattop - far less ring/reverb, somewhat less noticeable sustain. Now go all the way to the left on the spectrum and put an archtop - big note up-front, but no sustain and no reverb/overtones that ring out. Really different-feeling when you are used to a flat top. To be clear: each note sounds wonderful and rich; they just decay a very different way vs. a flattop.

What I am finding is that this archtop with its different foundation, is helping me to say more with less. There is nothing to distract my focus - using an effect, an amp, extra sustain, etc. - either the note/chord I am playing works or it doesn't. I am therefore much more conscious of my note choices and more inclined to "sell" my lead by trying to make a cool melodic phrase vs. trying to sustain a note and transition it to a scale run or bluesy riff.

So - while I had thought of body woods as lying on a spectrum (maple, mahogany, rosewood, etc.) I hadn't thought about Martin, Gibson Flattop, Archtop being on a "Harmonic overtones and Attack Decay/Sustain" spectrum, but for my needs, they are.

I also hadn't put my whole Guitar Journey(tm) on a "Quest for Less" - but it appears that I have been. The more I gravitate towards an excellent guitar that provides a simpler foundation to the sound, the more I am inclined to choose my notes - and choose fewer and more focused on melody - rather than "lean on" the added qualities of the gear I am playing which can lead to overplaying in my case.

If you made it this far - thank you for taking the time. I'd be interested in your experiences. And again, I am NOT saying that if you have a ton of effects for your electric or think rosewood is the best acoustic tonewood that you are wrong - that would be awful. I am saying that, for me, the more I focus on a simpler set up, the more likely I am going to focus on my playing.

My $.02

Last edited by WordMan; 06-09-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:11 AM

Not sure I follow. It sounds like you are finding guitars that fit the sound you want to produce. I can't see where others would give "more" or "less" support. They would certainly sound different but may not fit your goals. As far as musical content, you do what you need to to convey the idea, might be 1 note or a hundred.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

...i get what you're onto....i've taken a very similar path with electrics and acoustics...telecasters and archtops...pawn shop instruments...2 knob amps...i built a drum kit out of cardboard boxes....don't laugh i've gigged with it and it worked.......i find that i just like the stripped down dry harmonically non-complex tones.... the rhythm melody and lyrics become the main focus and even though i don't play any better i can feel my way through the music more intensely....i don't expect many others to relate to it and i do still appreciate listening to great players playing fine instruments...but....my finest guitar gets played the least and my most humble one the most...
Old 06-09-2013, 08:26 AM

What you said makes a lot of sense, but it has to be put in context to the style of music you are playing. A lot of fingerstyle and celtic tunes sound so much better if the notes sustain and have a little natural reverb IMHO.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...i get what you're onto....i've taken a very similar path with electrics and acoustics...telecasters and archtops...pawn shop instruments...2 knob amps...i built a drum kit out of cardboard boxes....don't laugh i've gigged with it and it worked.......i find that i just like the stripped down dry harmonically non-complex tones.... the rhythm melody and lyrics become the main focus and even though i don't play any better i can feel my way through the music more intensely....i don't expect many others to relate to it and i do still appreciate listening to great players playing fine instruments...but....my finest guitar gets played the least and my most humble one the most...
That's where I'm going, in terms of "feeling your way through the music more intensely." That's the effect I find - but per Anand00028, some types of music are anchored on overtones and sustain, and I don't wish to disrespect them. As I have tried to find *my* voice, it has been helpful to me to find a simpler voice; as stated above, more humble. And yes, I have gravitated towards genres that exploit that tone effectively...

Now, cardboard drums are a big step - and archtops are known for typically being pricier vs their flattop brethren, so this isn't about a vow of poverty or stating that cheaper-sounding instruments are better. I am just reflecting on how I seem to be continuing a process of stripping down the tone I use, and that it has happened from electric to acoustic, and across a spectrum of acoustics. The guitar tool groups suited for each spot on the spectrum have their Holy Grails...
Old 06-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

As I posted in the "lunch with guitar hero thread"; I devolved to more simplicity a la Jeff Beck by letting my hands be my volume control and effects pedals. There is so much you can do to affect tone and playing via several techniques/attack and feel on both electric and acoustic. That's why an inherently bright guitar can become warmer in the right hands. ...and listening itself is an important aspect of playing and in regards to your less is more point if you get my meaning...and Jeff Beck is a master at that.

eric
Old 06-09-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
As I posted in the "lunch with guitar hero thread"; I devolved to more simplicity a la Jeff Beck by letting my hands be my volume control and effects pedals. There is so much you can do to affect tone and playing via several techniques/attack and feel on both electric and acoustic. That's why an inherently bright guitar can become warmer in the right hands. ...and listening itself is an important aspect of playing and in regards to your less is more point if you get my meaning...and Jeff Beck is a master at that.

eric
My first and biggest guitar hero has been Jeff Beck, so we must be connecting some dots here ...
Old 06-09-2013, 09:58 AM

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got is the notes you do not play are as important as those you do play.

Even playing in a journeyman Chuck Berry-esque blues rock band from the mid-1960s to the early 1980s I was never much for boxes and gadgets. Pretty much an old Tele plugged into a tweed Fender Twin with a touch of slap back echo.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
That's where I'm going, in terms of "feeling your way through the music more intensely." That's the effect I find - but per Anand00028, some types of music are anchored on overtones and sustain, and I don't wish to disrespect them. As I have tried to find *my* voice, it has been helpful to me to find a simpler voice; as stated above, more humble. And yes, I have gravitated towards genres that exploit that tone effectively...

Now, cardboard drums are a big step - and archtops are known for typically being pricier vs their flattop brethren, so this isn't about a vow of poverty or stating that cheaper-sounding instruments are better. I am just reflecting on how I seem to be continuing a process of stripping down the tone I use, and that it has happened from electric to acoustic, and across a spectrum of acoustics. The guitar tool groups suited for each spot on the spectrum have their Holy Grails...
....no its not about a Spartan approach to instrumentation...its about the sound and how it shapes what happens musically....when i built my cardboard drumkit i had a top of the line Tama Starclassic kit sitting right next to it...for a lot of the acoustic music i play and the folks i play with a cardboard box makes the right sound...for some music i play a more sophisticated setup is required....i'm an explorer when it comes to musical instruments and music in general....some of my discoveries and creations have missed the mark...some have worked for me and others...when trying out new approaches i have found its sometimes difficult putting the results across without them being perceived as some sort of novelty... if the music is good than its usually a non issue....still there is some merit in doing things differently even if its partly just to gain attention...after all getting a listeners attention is the first step...it could be the first big chord strummed on a pre war D-28....or it could be a sweet arpeggio plucked on an archtop or it could be some brushes on a cardboard box... it has a lot to do with context i suppose....

Last edited by J Patrick; 06-09-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:38 AM

You seem to be nearing True Guitar Nirvana. Just you and the simplest, least complex and complicated instrument. You'll know you've arrived when it's just you and the music in your heart and head.

Ah, Grasshopper, when you can remove this Blue Chip Pick from my hand...

I really enjoyed your post. I too have simplified my "rig" over the 40 + years of playing. And yes, my electric is a Tele, simply plugged into an amp. (As if plugging into an amp is truly "simple"). I've arrived at the realization that great sound is 95% operator input, 5% gear.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:51 AM

It sounds like some kind of zen progression where you'll eventually retreat into silence...
Old 06-09-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvertone62 View Post
You seem to be nearing True Guitar Nirvana. Just you and the simplest, least complex and complicated instrument. You'll know you've arrived when it's just you and the music in your heart and head.

Ah, Grasshopper, when you can remove this Blue Chip Pick from my hand...

I really enjoyed your post. I too have simplified my "rig" over the 40 + years of playing. And yes, my electric is a Tele, simply plugged into an amp. (As if plugging into an amp is truly "simple"). I've arrived at the realization that great sound is 95% operator input, 5% gear.
- I'd rather play Kind of Blue than Yngwie...
Old 06-09-2013, 11:38 AM

Great post. I'm right there with you. I have nothing against electrics or effects, but these days I mostly play my 00-15 or a Cordoba nylon string. It's easier for me to focus on the music and my technique.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
- I'd rather play Kind of Blue than Yngwie...
+1...while we are connecting dots here my friend I whole heartily agree with you. I played with Yngwie's touring bass player Barry Dunaway in a band called "Squirrell Tooth Alice" on a cruise ship for a year here in Florida. On occasion he would express to me the joy of playing with "less" of everything compared to arpeggio madness of the gifted Swedish Shredder.

eric
Old 06-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Guest 235664

Good topic. Keep it simple... Less is more. After 46 years playing I am down to a GS mini hog with thumb and finger pick (Carter style). Electric guitar, like others here, is a Tele plugged straight into the amp, no boxes, no gimmicks. Straight forward. And I like the neck pup on the tele, on low volume, clean, almost acoustic sounding.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion