The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 06-07-2013, 06:19 PM

Default One of A Kind Gryphon Acoustic Guitar - Early 70s - Like Martin

Here is one of only 40 Gryphon acoustic guitars ever made by famous repairman / Luthier Frank Ford in the early 1970s.

Frank told me himself that each of the 40 Gryphon guitars were custom made to order for specific customers. He couldn't remember who this one was specifically made for (I actually spoke with Frank and he said he had lost the master list he had from long ago that identified each of the 40 guitars and who they went to! Bummer!) but it is sure a beautiful instrument regardless. This is a true ONE OF A KIND guitar and a piece of history!

Has beautiful Abolone inlays down the fretboard and gorgeous herringbone trim around the edges and spine on the back of the guitar. The little details are what make this guitar so special. Has the Gryphon logo on the headstock. Some of the 40 Gryphon's did not have the logo. There is only one other Gryphon I have seen for sale online and it did not have the logo on the headstock and they are asking $3,000.00 for it.

The guitar sounds incredible, I have been playing it for years now and has always delivered both live and in the studio. It does need a little bit of work done on it, the bridge needs to be re-glued as it is lifting a little on one side. There is one big crack in the top and a few cracks on the back, these could probably be fixed or glued by someone who knows what they are doing. After a little TLC this guitar will be a perfect gem.

Neck feels great and plays great.

Back and sides are most likely Walnut. Top is either Spruce or Pine. Fretboard is either Rosewood or Ebony.

Has vintage 70s "Made in W. Germany" Schaller tuners on the headstock.

I will ship it in a nice quality hard shell fur lined case within a cardboard shipping box. (Case has a slight dent in the top but it does not go through, its a great solid case).

Asking $800.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
martin gryphon gibson