The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-05-2013, 08:21 PM

Default Taylor low calorie...

My beloved 2008 Taylor 416ce Fall LTD Tasmanian Blackwood (minus the e ) went on a diet today... K&K goes in tomorrow.

I decided to rip off the knob assembly from the preamp, with great joy might I add , so I could put the knobs back in to fill the holes.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Default why

That's unfortunate.

If you had removed it all carefully you could have sold it for $100-200

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-05-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
That's unfortunate.

From what I've seen on line, old ES preamps are pretty much worthless. Saw one just like mine sit in classifieds for weeks at $40... Add shipping from Canada and nobody will touch it.

My ES system didn't work right... worthless. Bought mine used and later found that ES was a dud. Supper hot B string. Taylor basically said that some neck pu's were bad. Could pay to replace neck pu which "might work"... could be the preamp so then that has to get replaced... or upgrade whole system. I've heard the new ES a few times; some still have volume imbalance with plain strings. Tone changes too much from plain to wound for me. Love the guitar, not the electronics.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:07 PM

How did you plug the void from the ES power supply at the end jack? Did you use the TruPlug system? I think they come with plugs for the three pre-amp holes too... although the knob assembly may look better for that. It would be even cooler if you could use the knobs to control a pre-amp with your K+K!!

ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING: Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Yamaha, Guild...
Old 06-11-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMC Bob View Post
How did you plug the void from the ES power supply at the end jack? Did you use the TruPlug system? I think they come with plugs for the three pre-amp holes too... although the knob assembly may look better for that. It would be even cooler if you could use the knobs to control a pre-amp with your K+K!!
You would never know by looking at my guitar that I ever took out the ES.

I was pleasantly surprised when I took apart the end-pin assembly. As long as you don't want to ever put the ES back in, it is VERY easy to use the existing Taylor end-pin for any other system. Look at this pic I took

The strap pin screws into the circuit board with the oval end-pin plug like thing in the middle. You clip the wires going to the battery box and the circuit board is completely free. Then you are left with a 7/16 hole. I needed a 1/2 for the K&K jack so that was only 1/16 of reaming to do. The installer (also a luthier) said it would work fine. He stuffed some foam in the battery box so it wouldn't make noise and bingo... ready to go.

I thought about placing a basic passive volume control (cut type) into one of the pot spots. I'd have to get some actual functional pots for that though, these will never do anything but fill the void now. Still, looks a lot better than holes or black plugs IMHO...

The shame of it is that people will think that natural plugged in sound is actually the ES. This is the first time that I played my guitar plugged in, and it sounded like MY guitar... No regrets what-so-ever.

Don't get me wrong, ES is ok. I just had a horrible experience with it and prefer the K&K reproduction of my tone more.

"Oval" looking end-pin assembly showing 7/16 hole
Old 11-04-2013, 06:34 PM

Nice work on getting your instrument to a point where you're happy with the sound, in the end that's all that really matters right? Great job.

Just for future reference or for others: If you're eliminating the preamp altogether (and have some basic soldering skills), you can just use the Taylor 1/4" jack by soldering the K&K pure mini piezos right to the tip and sleeve terminals. Be careful here as I believe the Taylor 1/4" jack is a TRS jack so one of the 3 terminals is the ring. If you reuse the Taylor jack, then you don't have to ream the hole out and can keep the assembly as is.

If anyone ever figures out a mod to use the Taylor preamp knobs to control a K&K UltraPure onboard preamp, please send me a PM!

Cheers!

Joe
Old 11-14-2013, 11:54 AM

I probably would have removed the unit as carefully as possible. But who cares as long as the goal you had was met.
Epiphone Chet Atkins CEC (1997)
Old 11-14-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
I probably would have removed the unit as carefully as possible. But who cares as long as the goal you had was met.
I removed the preamp VERY carefully... THEN I ripped the preamp to shreds
Old 11-21-2013, 07:58 PM

Old 11-21-2013, 08:42 PM

Check out the "Truplug" system. I am taking my ES system out as well and installing the Truplug. It's a way to fill in the three tone knobs and add a jack to the endpin without anyone really noticing that the ES was ever in. I agree though, there's no sense in trying to sell that system. I have a ES system from 2006 and it's useless. It died on me two years after I bought the guitar. Still really surprised that Taylor not only released these but that they still use them.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Wink

I have to admit, and I see many threads regarding the general bashing / tearing out of their ES systems on here for several months, I see these as some pretty extreme scenarios or maybe I'm just not seeing the Es as being as bad as some say. Granted I have the 3rd generation in my 2011 914CE and personally I'm actually kind of liking it. No...it's not as good as it could be or maybe as Taylor hoped for, hence the reason they keep updating / tweaking it etc. But personally I wouldn't dream of doing these kind of minor guitar surgeries to re-do. Even if I did, i would personally be taking them to a good Taylor service / Luthier person. Just my .02. Frankly i even like my barn-door Fishman pre-fix system on my 2002 614CE.

And please...before someone insults my "ear" or guitar / pick-up / PA / AMP / electronics knowledge, I assure you, although my guitar skills are limited to a couple hundred covers and 0 originals and completely OK with that, I've got 25+yrs playing and working with live sound / PA (small to 200K house systems). Give me something about the systems specifics where everyone has had such problems / specific complaints.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFuzzyMcPickle View Post
I have to admit, and I see many threads regarding the general bashing / tearing out of their ES systems on here for several months, I see these as some pretty extreme scenarios or maybe I'm just not seeing the Es as being as bad as some say. Granted I have the 3rd generation in my 2011 914CE and personally I'm actually kind of liking it. No...it's not as good as it could be or maybe as Taylor hoped for, hence the reason they keep updating / tweaking it etc. But personally I wouldn't dream of doing these kind of minor guitar surgeries to re-do. Even if I did, i would personally be taking them to a good Taylor service / Luthier person. Just my .02. Frankly i even like my barn-door Fishman pre-fix system on my 2002 614CE.

And please...before someone insults my "ear" or guitar / pick-up / PA / AMP / electronics knowledge, I assure you, although my guitar skills are limited to a couple hundred covers and 0 originals and completely OK with that, I've got 25+yrs playing and working with live sound / PA (small to 200K house systems). Give me something about the systems specifics where everyone has had such problems / specific complaints.
Hi there. thanks for the reply. By no means would I say that all ES systems are bad. I heard some that were fine, better than the average quacker piezo. The 3rd gen did sound better to my ears on the one I heard, unwound were just a pinch louder still. My B string was so loud that it was ridiculous! Could barely even hear the D & high E strings when doing chords.

There are no service centers within 400 miles of me. I would have to pay around $150 shipping (Canada) there and back plus whatever parts cost are. What really steamed me is when Taylor told me that some of the neck pickups were put in wrong... yet mine wasn't covered because it was used. I was surprised that quality control didn't catch it on the way out and fix it. Would have been a cheap fix while still at the factory. Pop the neck off de-solder old pickup then re-solder a new pickup in place!

For me it was the best fix that looked like I did nothing.

It should be stated that I have a VERY picky ear. I hear the slightest of tuning variances and also volume imbalances. I always have been picky, then 15 years of sound man work made my ear even more picky.

They're my ears, I have live with what they hear. Although sometimes it drives me (and those around me) absolutely crazy!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification