The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-04-2013, 09:01 AM

Thumbs up Need help choosing a guitar...

Hi Everybody

I have been playing guitar for 2 years now. I have an electric guitar but want to get an acoustic. I am torn between the Seagull S6, a Martin DX1ae, and an acoustic-electric Yamaha FGX730. Only the Seagull is pure acoustic, and I was also wondering if it really pays to have the option of plugging in. The Seagull is $419, the Martin is $479, and the Yamaha, used, is $279. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:09 AM

My advice is play the guitars.

I bought a guitar 3 weeks ago. I went to buy a fender telecaster made in japan. I came out with a michael kelly guitar. Why? Because the price/ playability/ looks/ sound/ versabilty was equal or some better or worse. Never heard of the brand and i love the guitar.

For example i bought a guitar walked home told everyone i bought a freshman (for past few days went played many guitars) Got home then i remember it was a tanglewood. Tbh i couldnt care about brands i took the guitar home because i enjoyed it the most. For acoustic for me it split up in

SHAPE
SIZE
PLAYABILITY
SOUND
LOOKS (To an extent)
PRICE (Even then if i find one twice the price i might even save up for it)
Old 06-04-2013, 09:37 AM

From what I've read about these models, the Seagull seems to be all laminates. The Martin and Yamaha have solid tops. If you have a chance to play them, that's always a good idea.

My first impression would be to go with the Yamaha. If you wanted to go a little higher end in the future you could probably sell the Yamaha for pretty much what you paid for it, since it is used.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete12string View Post
From what I've read about these models, the Seagull seems to be all laminates. The Martin and Yamaha have solid tops. If you have a chance to play them, that's always a good idea.
So far as I am aware, all the Seagull S6's have solid tops. I'm assuming the OP is looking at "The Original" given the price mentioned, which is a solid cedar top over laminate cherry B&S.

To the OP: the Seagulls seem to be highly respected around here, but there is a benefit to buying used. I'd go by sound and feel first, but buying used is a benefit for resale later, as you are unlikely to lose as much if you keep the guitar in good condition. As to whether a pickup is worthwhile: do you intend to use this on stage? If yes, then maybe it is important to you. If not, then I'd say it probably isn't critical. You could always add a pickup later if you then discovered you needed one. Or you could buy a different guitar if conditions changed. If you do not now intend to plug in to a PA system or anything I'd suggest you are probably fine without, but YMMV.

Last edited by estayton; 06-04-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: better answer to original question
Old 06-04-2013, 09:50 AM

Until very recently every Seagull had a solid top and the higher-end models had solid wood back & sides as well. The Seagull S-6 mentioned by the OP is solid cedar over laminate wild cherry. It's a wonderful guitar!

A couple of months ago, Seagull has came out with an entry level line called the "Excursion" line which is all laminate. I haven't seen a lot of first-hand reviews yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete12string View Post

My first impression would be to go with the Yamaha. If you wanted to go a little higher end in the future you could probably sell the Yamaha for pretty much what you paid for it, since it is used.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 06-04-2013, 09:58 AM

First, the Seagull S6 is NOT all laminated. It's got a solid top.....same as the Martin and Yamaha you're looking at.

As for whether you need one for "plugged in" use, that would depend, IMO, on whether you plan to play outside of the home. For strictly home use, I personally wouldn't have any use for anything other than straight acoustic guitar......but, YMMV. It's up to you.

Of the three you mentioned, the Yamaha sounds like the best bang for the buck. But, again.......that's just my opinion. You need to make up your own mind about which is best for you.

I've bought new guitars AND used guitars and I seem to always get the best deal when buying used. You stand a much better chance at selling it for little loss if and when the time comes to let it go.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:00 AM

I now see the Seagull "The Original" S6 Acoustic Guitar. It does have a solid cedar top. However, for the price, I would still recommend the used Yamaha.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:00 AM

Assuming the Seagull and the Martin are new and not used, at $419, the Seagull S-6 Original is priced at full street, while at $479 the Martin DX1ae is lower than average street. Both are solid top with laminate back and sides. The Seagull has a cedar top with wild cherry b/s, a 1.8 inch nut width and is made in Canada and the Martin has a solid Sitka spruce top and what they call HPL (high pressure laminate) b/s, 1 11/16 inch nut and is made in Mexico.

At the prices you state, the Martin is the better deal, but honestly, you should be able to find a Seagull S-6 with Quantum I electronics for around $500 at places like GC on a sale weekend/coupon, etc.

I know very little about Yamahas in general. Some people love them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm1017 View Post
Hi Everybody

I have been playing guitar for 2 years now. I have an electric guitar but want to get an acoustic. I am torn between the Seagull S6, a Martin DX1ae, and an acoustic-electric Yamaha FGX730. Only the Seagull is pure acoustic, and I was also wondering if it really pays to have the option of plugging in. The Seagull is $419, the Martin is $479, and the Yamaha, used, is $279. Thanks!

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 06-04-2013, 10:07 AM

I would suggest looking into Guild GAD guitars. Used they can be found in the $350-$600 range, and they are handmade all solid wood guitars. Amazing quality for the price, but if you can't get your hands on one and like something you play in person that fits the bill go for it. I personally think the GAD series of Guild guitars are the best budget guitars out there, but obviously others have different opinions. Also they are a little bit hard to get your hands on, they aren't on the wall at every guitar shop, so it takes a little searching. Best of luck though.
2011 Guild M120E

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion