The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-03-2013, 07:43 PM

Default Can anyone help me figure out what kind of Guitar this is?

New member here. Have this beautiful acoustic but have no idea what it is? Has headstock and fretboard abalone inlays and nice inlay trim all around. No markings whatsoever, only the tuning pegs which I can tell are vintage Schaller's as they say "Made in W. Germany" with the Schaller "S" symbol. But have no clue as to what the guitar is or where it comes from! Please help!!!

Old 06-03-2013, 08:04 PM

It looks like an early 70's gryphon guitar built by noted repairman Frank Ford.

Here's a link to a gryphon om that shares many similar characteristics.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Muse...gryphon17.html

And here's a gryphon dreadnought

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Muse...gryphon24.html
Old 06-03-2013, 08:12 PM

Thanks so much Brian! Its so great to finally know what this is!

Any idea what it might be worth!?

Cheers.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:02 PM

Probably the best person to ask about the guitar's value is Frank Ford. The number there at their store is (650) 493-2131. Call during business hours Pacific Daylight Time and I'm sure he or Richard can answer your questions.

How long have you had the guitar, and how did you happen to run across it?

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-03-2013, 11:12 PM

I talked on the phone with Frank once years ago and he was wonderful. I'm sure he'd enjoy the call. Looks to me like the tuners might have been changed...or is there another explanation for the little holes above each one?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
I talked on the phone with Frank once years ago and he was wonderful. I'm sure he'd enjoy the call. Looks to me like the tuners might have been changed...or is there another explanation for the little holes above each one?
First thing I noticed too. I'd guess it had some waverly type open tuners.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
First thing I noticed too. I'd guess it had some waverly type open tuners.
Back when this guitar was built, that would be doubtful, as decent quality open gear tuners were no longer being made and it would be a few more decades before Stewart-MacDonald starting making Waverlys. I mean, it could have been Grover Sta-Tites, as those have never gone out of production, but Klusons are my guess.

Of course, I could be wrong, but my guess is that it's more likely that the guitar had Klusons on it. Those were still in production back then.

It's something to ask Frank when you get him on the phone.

By the way, just so you're aware, Frank Ford is a wonderfully generous soul, happy to talk about this sort of thing and willing to share his vast musical instrument knowledge with others. But don't call him on the store's toll-free 800 number when you want to ask him this sort of question; use the number I included in my earlier post. That 800 number costs his business money, and is for people buying instruments or checking on their orders. Use the other number instead.

Hope that makes sense.

whm

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 06-04-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:48 AM

"Waverly-type" is not the same as Waverly branded. I picked that name because many are familiar with the butterbeans on practically every slot head you see today. Yes, they could have been Kluson's with the cover.

The point I apparently failed to make is in regard to the 2 screws for each tuner, instead of 1.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:56 PM

Well, now you know what it is, and hopefully Mr. Ford will fill you in on when it was built and where.

I get the feeling that this is a pretty special guitar, so hopefully you're enjoying it.

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
griffin schaller abalone