The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-19-2003, 12:55 PM

Default Baby Taylor questions

I'm in the market for a travel guitar. I'm really stumped about the differing qualities of the Baby models. How much can can the different woods used in a small laminated body make a difference in sound? Are they just for looks? I haven't test driven all the models but what I have tried sounds marginal at best. However it's the size of the guitar, not the sound, that I need. BUT if there are obvious differences, I'll certainly go for a certain model over another. Any Baby Taylor experts out there?

Cheers

Chris
Old 08-19-2003, 01:49 PM

tenthumbs: Look through the "Choice of Baby Taylor" thread. If you take the trouble to read every post there, I am sure you will see that your concern has been answered.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:22 PM

A Friend is correct, of course, but in case you don't feel like tracking down another thread, it is safe to say that there is some difference of opinion concerning tonewoods (or tonelaminates) in the Baby. I have owned 3 Babys (and still own 2) and I can hear no difference at all between the spruce-top models, although other owners feel differently. The mahogany model seems to me rather more mellow (or more dull, if you think of it that way). All models are very light and somewhat fragile. None have the kind of sound that comes from bigger boxes, but the neck is pretty comfortable (to me). The new Martin mini-guitar is somewhat more heavily built, and might be more durable.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:26 PM

I have come to the conclusion that only the Spruce tops and the Mahogany top actually make different sounds...the laminated backs and sides should not logically produce different sounds, as they are actually the same wood (only with different surfaces!). If there are differences between the Spruce tops, I am inclined to think that it is because each guitar is unique unto itself and therefore a slight variance is only to be expected, but this is not to be attributed to the laminated woods.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:44 PM

I'm a new owner of a Mahogany Baby. I too was looking for a travel guitar, and found the Baby to be the best playing and sounding of all. I tried the Martin, and a Takamanie, and though both were nice, none were as light and well made (to my eyes) or sounded as good (to my ears) as the Baby. I had a choice between a spruced top Mahogany body and a spruced top Koa body model. I chose the Mahogany toped Baby for the warmer sound. It was a 2003 model and I found it played better and had better fret work than the one example that was made in 1998. I guess they made some improvements.

I just love this guitar. I can leave it laying around and it's right there to pick up and play. I'd never do that with my 810CE-LTD. It's extremely light-weight and the neck plays real nice. The scale is short, but not too much different from a Les Paul. It does lack volume, but that's not what I wanted in this kind of guitar.
2001 Taylor 810ce LTD
2003 Taylor Mahogany Baby
Old 08-19-2003, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by A Friend
tenthumbs: Look through the "Choice of Baby Taylor" thread. If you take the trouble to read every post there, I am sure you will see that your concern has been answered.
Thanks for the direction. I read your thread and feel somewhat foolish that I had not seen it before. It confirms my thoughts about the back and sides of the Baby's.

Thanks to everyone else for your replies.

Cheers

Chris
Old 08-19-2003, 03:08 PM

No prob. So does this mean that you have made a decision on which Baby to buy? Keep me informed!! I'm very interested to know your preference!!
Old 08-19-2003, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by A Friend
No prob. So does this mean that you have made a decision on which Baby to buy? Keep me informed!! I'm very interested to know your preference!!
No I haven't decided. I know I'm not happy with whatever they have at the local Guitar Center. It was a spruce top for sure but I don't know what the back was. I think sapele but I didn't look that close. Frankly, I've never really understood the interest in this guitar. It certainly doesn't sound all that great. But now that my job requires travel, I don't want to lug my 510 around so the Baby seems to be a logical choice. My problem is that I'll go play a few Taylors and Martins and then pick up a Baby. Not a smart thing to do. Anyway I'm going to go back and do a little more research now that I'm armed with information. Thanks Again.

Cheers

Chris
Old 08-19-2003, 04:54 PM

Chris,
The Baby T works well plugged in, too. Electronics are a wonderful thing.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:15 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

I couldn't tell the difference in tone between any of the Baby Taylors I tried out when looking for mine a few years back. I believe Bob Taylor is on record stating there is no tone difference attributable to the different b/s materials on the baby's. I am looking to sell mine. Decent travel guitar, but not the real thing. I ended up buying a used Martin OM18V and keeping it at my in-laws for those long visits.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff M
I couldn't tell the difference in tone between any of the Baby Taylors I tried out when looking for mine a few years back. I believe Bob Taylor is on record stating there is no tone difference attributable to the different b/s materials on the baby's. I am looking to sell mine. Decent travel guitar, but not the real thing. I ended up buying a used Martin OM18V and keeping it at my in-laws for those long visits.
I tried to email you in regards to your Baby Taylor but it bounced. If you're interested in selling, send me the details.

[email protected]

cheers

Chris
Old 08-19-2003, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tenthumbs

No I haven't decided. I know I'm not happy with whatever they have at the local Guitar Center. It was a spruce top for sure but I don't know what the back was. I think sapele but I didn't look that close. Frankly, I've never really understood the interest in this guitar. It certainly doesn't sound all that great. But now that my job requires travel, I don't want to lug my 510 around so the Baby seems to be a logical choice. My problem is that I'll go play a few Taylors and Martins and then pick up a Baby. Not a smart thing to do. Anyway I'm going to go back and do a little more research now that I'm armed with information. Thanks Again.

Cheers

Chris

take a good look at the Big Baby..good sound and alot of fun to play...it has a nice gig bag and you won't stress over traveling with it...that is of course if you don't become really attached to it....which you will....
Old 08-19-2003, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4Gtrs
Chris,
The Baby T works well plugged in, too. Electronics are a wonderful thing.
YES IT DOES!! I got an LRBaggs iBeam Active installed into my BabyT, and I still cannot get over the sound it gave me when I plugged it into the amp!! Honestly, I'm even more excited about what I heard from the plugged in BabyT than my 314ce...I know it sounds crazy, but try it and you'll see what I mean!!

Also, I'm not sure why many people have complained that the iBeam gives too much feedback...none at all from mine. Why do you suppose that is so?
Old 08-20-2003, 06:17 AM

Location: Playing guitar (or piano, or bass, or drums, or singing....)

I'm gonna get an lr baggs element active system put in my baby koa
of the forgiven and the lost
of the redeemed
Old 08-20-2003, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by prodigy3
I'm gonna get an lr baggs element active system put in my baby koa
Yup, you should. Many people complain that it has feedback, but it never happened to mine, even when I stood like less than a metre away from the amp. It worked wonderfully!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion