The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars is offline

Default Which one means the most to you?

My first guitar: Samick solid top. $200, 17 yrs later sounds/plays great!

Second: My Martin wife bought for my 40th
Old 12-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Musical minimalist

'nuff said??

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=267336

Old 12-29-2012, 11:36 AM

Well, quite hard comparison or option but here it is.........wives come and go and marriages, nowadays, rarely endure 17 years hahahahahaha sorry, kidding. Both are great .
Old 12-29-2012, 12:11 PM

Talking

My 1st wife bought me my 1st expensive acoustic guitar, a Gibson Hummingbird. Unfortunately the guitar was a lemon, and the wife passed away. I held that guitar for about 15 years, even though on it's best days and in magical hands it sounded like our cat when another cat perpetrator invades her space in the middle of the night. Selling that guitar helped close the book on a tragic marriage, and in psychological ways helped me heal.
It can work both ways.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:19 PM

This one means the most to me because of what it is and how it came to be.

Here's the background. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=197767 The presentation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJe4a3czcYs

Still brings a grateful lump to my throat when I remember, which I do every time I play this wonderful guitar!

cotten
Old 12-29-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
This one means the most to me because of what it is and how it came to be.

Here's the background. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=197767 The presentation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJe4a3czcYs

Still brings a grateful lump to my throat when I remember, which I do every time I play this wonderful guitar!

cotten

WOW ! Beautiful, congratulations Mr Cotten ! Happy 2013 to all of you.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:42 PM

Cotton, those are lovely, very well executed photos of your treasure.

-Raf
Old 12-29-2012, 12:56 PM

Has to be my first guitar. A washburn WI64. Nothing special about it we just have a connection.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:14 PM

A mid-1950s Epiphone FT-79. I really can't say why this one. I have had it a long time but it is far from the best sounding guitar I own. There is just something about this guitar that gets to me. When I found it the original pickguard had been removed and replaced by a thick homemade double thing held in place by ten screws, the binding had popped off in several places, the end pin was broken off, and the bikini logo was dangling from one brad. It is presently sitting at the shop getting a put off way too long and and well deserved facelift.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:04 AM

My GS5 is my go to baby and one that I will hold on to forever and pass down to my boy. You can tell that it is a factory made guitar with small blemishes that you would not find on a smaller shop build (glue smears on inside, discoloration in the binding, roughness around soundhole, etc.). It is not the most beautiful, blinged out guitar (basic hog back without figuring, drab ivoroid binding, no elegant inlays, etc.) It wasn't my first guitar and isn't my last. It has a nice feelin neck, but not the best IMO. It has several dings in it and scratches from my nails/picks. It has a fairly simple/fundamental sound. However, with all of these things said there is just something about it, more than any other guitar I have owned or played, that makes me want to pick up the guitar everyday and continue this journey. It is truly my diamond in the rough!

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 12-30-2012, 02:13 AM

Default Which one means the most to you?

The one I'm playing at the moment.
Nimbus 2000 (2000)

Kamaka Gold Label Soprano (c. 1960s) / Nameless "Chicago-style" Soprano (1910s-30s[?]) / Keli'i Gold Series Tenor (2012?)

Kamoa E3-T Tenor (2012-13?)
Old 12-30-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselynne View Post
The one I'm playing at the moment.
Double ditto
Old 12-30-2012, 06:39 AM

If I was telling stories I would start with my 79 Yamaha and move next to my love affair with my Seagull guitars. If my house was on fire and I could save only one, I would grab my Larrivee.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
A mid-1950s Epiphone FT-79. I really can't say why this one. I have had it a long time but it is far from the best sounding guitar I own. There is just something about this guitar that gets to me. When I found it the original pickguard had been removed and replaced by a thick homemade double thing held in place by ten screws, the binding had popped off in several places, the end pin was broken off, and the bikini logo was dangling from one brad. It is presently sitting at the shop getting a put off way too long and and well deserved facelift.
Zomby,
My favorite is my 1966 FT-45. I bought it new in 1966 and have played it practically everyday since then. As you have said, it is not the best sounding guitar I own but there is something magical about it. It is a very special guitar and has been a comfort to me, through the good times and the bad for the past 47 years.

Willie

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr
Old 12-30-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Which one means the most to you?
As much as I love guitars, including one's I've owned since I was a child, the love of a person will always trump my love of a thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion