The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-29-2012, 10:42 AM

Default NGD-Voyage Air VAOM 4

Hi everyone,

I must have been good this year, as my wife got me a new Voyage Air VAOM 4 for Xmas. This is a really sweet, great sounding guitar for the price, not to mention great to play, plus it go can with us on vacation. Attached is a pic. Last night had finally had some time to spend with it and I did notice fret buzz on the 13th fret. It happened on all strings except the high E. Also, the neck joint is nearly flush at the high E but has a slight (perhaps 1-2 64ths) step up at the low E. It must be the unflush joint causing the fret buzz, as the 14th fret is sounding and buzzing when playing on the 13th. I know not much is played above the 12th fret, but for those times I do get up there, I would like it to sound nice. This morning the high E and B strings sound good, so maybe temps and humidity come into play. I do plan on keeping this stored in an OM case with a humidifier, and use the transit case only when traveling. Anyway, the question is, would a fret job on the 14ths fix it or should the neck joint be flush. A lot of reviews I have read say the neck joint is flush an undetectable on these guitars. Thanks for your advice.

Chris

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Taylor 416ce
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 12-29-2012, 11:29 AM

Chris - Congrats on the Voyage Air! Do you think you'll use it much at home or mostly on trips?
Old 12-29-2012, 12:06 PM

It will probably get a lot of use at home as well, it sounds so good. I am even contemplating selling the silver creek, as tbis voyage air fits that OM nitch and seems to sound a little richer and fuller than the all solid wood silver creek.

Chris
Taylor 416ce
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 12-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Looks like you live in a pretty dry part of the country. You might want to give it a bit of time to adapt and then, if there are still issues, bring it to a tech who might level the frets or slightly lower those beyond the hinge. Or maybe Harvey Leach will chime in with suggestions. He did invent these things, after all.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Very good, Chris! Congratulations on your new Voyage-Air guitar!

- Glenn
Old 12-29-2012, 02:28 PM

Congrats! I sure love mine and I am sure you have a keeper too.

Like any wooden guitar, the VA reacts to humidity and temp swings. (Do try to keep it humidified) Coupled with the de-tensioning of the neck when folded, it will react when you first tension the neck after storage. It will soon settle in. Harvey Leach recommends that long term storage be done with the neck tensioned.

I have a spare case and keep the guitar in it at home and it stays completely in tune.
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Old 12-29-2012, 02:45 PM

Default NGD-Voyage Air VAOM 4

Sweet! I love my VAD-06! Voyage air makes great stuff.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoph1366 View Post
... my wife got me a new Voyage Air VAOM 4 for Xmas. This is a really sweet, great sounding guitar for the price
Congrats. They are gems. I don't generally agree on "sweet...for the price". To me a guitar is right or not - regardless of price. I would never own an instrument that's - great/sweet/okay for the money. I have guitars from $200 and up and the least expensive guitar I own is as great sounding and playing as the most expensive guitar I own. It's a keeper or it's not. The VA VAOM 04's are definitely keepers.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:42 PM

Congrats on your new Voyage Air, I'm sure you will be playing it at home as well as on the road. Have fun. I'm sure it will get used to your climate and do just fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion