The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-31-2003, 10:35 PM

Default So this is the ES system everyone always talking about?

Well, I just recieved my 614ce via ups today. It was having an ES tune up at taylor this past week. And after close examintation of its sound through my little digital recorder I have come to this conclusion:
The ES is the absolute best system ever created in the entire world.
It was so clear and vibrant. It just blew me completely away. I was having so much fun recording I just can put it into words. See, when I first hooked my taylor up about 4 months ago, I pretended to be impressed. The truth was that there was not really any life present at all, beside a horribly annoying buzz. I thought the ES was all hype. But after playing it now, I have to go out and by myself another one (which I actually found allready )
I just have one question. I first plugged into my recorder using the XLR cable, and it sounded awefull. Very buzzy. In fact, my heart dropped because I thought I would have to send it back to taylor again. But then I took a chance with a 1/4, and it sounded amazing. But Why? Do you think my cable is bad? Or for that matter my recorder (boss BR 532)? I'm just a tad curious right now. Because if it sound this good with a 1/4, shouldn't it sound a million times better with a xlr?
Well i'm gonna get back to recording
Old 08-01-2003, 12:12 AM
Me

Congrats on the new guitar. I have no idea why the XLR gave you trouble. Have you pluged the XLR into anything else? Did you have the volume knob on the guitar turned all the way up?

I see you are in So Cal. Why don't you show off that new guitar in the SO Cal TGF campout in October?
Old 08-01-2003, 01:03 AM

That is an encouraging report.... I have a 455 summer Ltd ordered and have really hoped that I will like the ES System.

Dennis
Old 08-01-2003, 01:05 AM

Haha...well it's not exactly new. Ive had it since February. The ES broke down last week, and since it came back from Taylor it has blown my mind.
The get-together sound fun. I'll have to see what my work schedule is like that month. I know I'm going to be gone one weekend for a canoeing tournament.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:40 AM
Winning!

good news! congrats on your 'new' 614ce

reagsbydesign (ree-g'ss-b'i-d'sine) n.1. expect the unexpected.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:54 AM

I'm wondering if the buzzing problems you having are due to the output of the ES system being very hot using a balanced connection which would explain why it goes away using a normal unbalanced connection.

Does anyone know what the balanced (db) output from the ES is? - I'd guess the normal -4db standard but they could be using the -10db standard, which is ALOT more output... Alot of devices (such as my RME multiface soundcard have switchable balanced input db levels to cope with this)
355KCE LTD ('03)
Ibanez RG550EX
Yamaha RBX270 Bass
Old 08-01-2003, 05:09 AM

Make sure that your recorder doesn't have the phantom power turned on. This will cause the ES to sound very poor.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:15 AM
Undignified

Congrats.

Same thing here. Sent my 614ces back to Taylor and it came back a different guitar. Blew me away.

I had to send it back a second time. I changed the batteries and could not get rid of a hiss or hum. Back it went for repairs.
I just got it back last week and it really sounds incredible. Hopefully this will be it for es repairs. My 614 has a January 2003 birthday and was one of the earlier models.

As far as cables. I have found the results much better with 1/4 cable than the xlr using an Ultrasound 100ds2.

2004 Martin OM28V
Old 08-01-2003, 08:09 AM

The Boss BR 532 has issues of it's own related to grounding. If you search you will find some answers on the internet.

I don't have the time to elaborate on the technical stuff here but always remember...the ES is a "Balanced and Low impedance" system.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:10 AM

Someone said
Quote:
Congrats on the new guitar. I have no idea why the XLR gave you trouble. Have you pluged the XLR into anything else? Did you have the volume knob on the guitar turned all the way up?
I don't want to sound like a knowitall guys but volumn knobs on ES systems should not need to be raised past 12 o'clock (detent) for any reason other than overdriving the signal. "Wide Open ' will produce more noise and sensitivity to user clothing and all the other complaints about ES . It really is important to know that if you want to get the cleanest sound possible . Think of it as flying in the face of everything we ever knew about electric guitars . Volume half open or detent for ES OK? Hope this helps.
By the way the
XLR Chord on my pa has 300 percent more volumn plugged straight into the Pa . That of course is with the v knob at high noon. Later gaters

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 08-01-2003, 11:27 AM

yeah, I kept the ES at 12 o'clock since it's come back from the factory. Maybe it's a phantom power issue, but i don't know if my recorder has phantom power. But my guitar sounds fine in a 1/4 inch, than I might as well keep it like that. I'm going to end up buying a ultrasound amp, and I'll have to see how they work together then.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:35 AM

I never turn mine up past 12 0'clock either. Usually leave it at 11 o'clock and compensate with the amp. Sounds better I think. I'm using a Whirlwind cable directly into a SWR Strawberry Blond amp.
W65ce
Old 08-01-2003, 01:47 PM

I have a 714SPEC with a June born on date and my ES won't even produce any signal, just a loud horendous buzz !!!!!!

I am running the cord that came with it directly into a JBL eon, and have also tried running it through my Mackie 12020VLZ board (with phantom power off), and still get the buzz !!

I have also tried a 1/4 cable both bal and unbal ?

Is there anything I can do, or should I just call customer service ?

Regards,
DeadHead

Guitars

Martin Custom 000
Kopp Roy Smeck

Mandolins
'03 Gibson A5L
Old 08-01-2003, 01:59 PM

Deadhead, call customer service right away!!!!! Don't pass "Go" because you sure won't collect $200!!

We can give you lip service...er, forum service...but they are "da man" who can fix it for you.

Good luck!!!!
Old 08-01-2003, 02:10 PM

yeah...the customer service treated me very well...and they'll treat you well too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion