Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 10-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Default 1969-70 Custom Shop Guild F512 Braz. with Florentine Inlays

Guild 1969-70 F512 with Florentine Inlays, Hoboken Made, Custom Shop For Sale

My wife is selling her much-loved 1969-70 F512. Here is her ad, below. Thanks,
Chris
----------------------------------------------------------------
After owning this baby for nearly 30 years, it's time to send her to a new home.

I bought this guitar from a large pawn shop in New York City in 1985 after my 1972 F312 was stolen out of my car. My then-husband found this Guild at the bottom of a stack of guitars in the back room of this seedy pawn shop, run by a guy who looked like Sidney Greenstreet. When I saw the guitar, I was stunned - it was obviously an incredible instrument, but also in some mighty disrepair. "I want $800," rasped the Greenstreet guy. My then-husband countered with $650. "The price goes up every time you bargain with me," replied Mr. White Suit. "The price is now $850."

We wisely capitulated, and then brought the guitar immediately over to Matt Umanov, who made the required repairs. Now, keep in mind that in 1985, I was 30 years old and I knew next-to-nothing about luthiery. Looking at my Guild now, I can see evidence of old repairs, so I have to assume they are the ones Matt did.

Fast forward to 2007. After joining a few guitar forums, including the one at Lets Talk Guild, and learning more about my guitar in particular, I was encouraged to bring her to Carlo Greco for a setup. I lugged this heavy cannon up 3 flights of skinny stairs to his shop, laid it on his counter, and opened the case. Carlo paused for 2 beats, then said, lifting the guitar out of its case, "I built this guitar." He went on to declare that he only made 16 of them, including one for Jerry Garcia. Carlo also said that he made it in 1968, although the serial number dates it to the end of 1969. Regardless, this guitar is pretty considerably not commonplace.

Here are some specs, followed by photos:

Upper bout: 12 3/8"
Lower bout: 17"
Nut width: 1 13/16"
String spacing at the bridge: 2 1/2"
Action at the 12th fret: Low E = 5/64"; High E = 4/64".
Serial # OC-247, with a Hoboken label. Guild website and Hans Moust's book dates this to the very end of 1969.
The dark endpins were replaced by Carlo Greco in 2008.

Condition: Well, as you'd expect with a very old instrument, which was clearly gigged with, it has blemishes. There is a 4" stabilized crack on the top (probably repaired by Matt Umanov). There is an area just on the edge of the lower bout on the treble side which showed evidence of a past repair. There are a few areas where the binding was repaired. The fingerboard extension has a shim underneath it, and the nut has been shimmed (this nut shim was done recently by Mandolin Bros.). The bridge is shaved down, and the original pickguard, which was lifted up when I bought the guitar, has been reglued. Both of these repairs by Matt Umanov. There are 2 parallel hairline truss rod tension cracks on the back of the neck. And last, there are flat pick marks by the rosette, which are not surprising.

Now, the question about the woods. Several authorities, including Lark Street Music owner Buzzy Levine, as well as Carlo Greco himself, believe this is Brazilian. Given the history of the instrument, I don't see any reason to disagree.

And now for the photos:

So, you've made it this far. And you want to know the price. I am asking $4,400, not including shipping, but it does include a brand-new hard shell Guild case, made to fit an F-512.

Please PM my husband Chris if you'd like more pictures, have questions, etc. etc.

Thanks.

Barbara
Old 10-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Default More photos of 1969-70 Guild F512 Custom

Here are a few more photos of my wife's Guild F512 for sale:

Old 10-09-2012, 04:44 AM
Charter Member

Bump back to the top.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:12 PM

Default Guild F512

GOOD GOD!!!!!!!! This IS beautiful! Yeah this Guild is one of the older 512s.................. [My good friend Bob owned a 1967 312 BR] that were made with Brazilian Rosewood. I'd love to own this as I have been looking for a vintage 12 and this one has all the bells and whistles, beautiful patina, and history I could want. I'd have to sell several of my higher end guitars to swing this one and I'm on the edge about doing anything like that of course. This is a incredible piece to be sure..................now if you could just lower the $$$$$ down to the original purchase price you payed I'd come running.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Just a note to onlookers: Just posted on eBay. Mr. Yamaha: Thanks for the good words! Much appreciated.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:20 PM

Default The Story!

Heck, the story is worth the price! What a beautiful instrument.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Smile Brazilian Guild

Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars