The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-27-2012, 08:56 AM

Default Anyone have thoughts on this guitar .

I Just tried out several guitars and the one i thought was the better sounding guitar for me was a Guild Gad -140 dreadnought acoustic guitar
with solid spruce top and with solid mahogany back n ' sides , this guitar features the Rosewood back n' sides also, and with a hardcase

I also noted theyre the same price as on the internet for this guitar at £500.00 , anyone any thoughts whom know this particular model .

Last edited by Rock N' Roll; 09-27-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

I almost bought one of these a while back. I have played it quite a few times at the local music store and I liked the tone. Realize of course that these are the Asian made guitars of the Guild lineup. I think they are on par with Epiphone Masterbilt and have good tonal qualities. I personally like the Blueridge and Easton offerings in this price range slightly better, but it's still close. I think the build quality is just as good on the Guild. If you like the tone then I'd go ahead and get it. I have heard no negative reviews of the GAD series.

Todd
Old 09-27-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I almost bought one of these a while back. I have played it quite a few times at the local music store and I liked the tone. Realize of course that these are the Asian made guitars of the Guild lineup.
they are on par with Epiphone Masterbilt and have good tonal qualities. I personally like the Blueridge and Easton offerings in this price range slightly better, but it's still close. I think the build quality is just as good on the Guild. If you like the tone then I'd go ahead and get it. I have heard no negative reviews of the GAD series.

Todd
Hi Todd,

Thanks for your answer above ..

Ive just dug up on the net the cheapest price of this guitar below , although im pretty sure the store here can and shall match this price, i was actually in the store trying out several acoustics all hanging on the wall , and Yes i preferred this Guild-Gad acoustic guitar built in Asia to any other guitar in store including all of the Martins which were much more expensive the £2000 Martin sounded very dull and far to base a sounding for my liking , and i had to reach up for to try this Martin in which the hook came crashing down from the wall , as all the hooks i noted after this happening were all not tightened against the wall at all , in which for guitars at such prices you would think they would be , luckily no guitars were damaged, and i then heard another hook fall from high up in which was another expensive guitar hook crashing down and just missing hitting any other guitar, this time some other guy , though this is the stores problem, BUT i realise folks should ask for help in the getting the store guy, to get such guitars down for us to try out, but the guitars really should be well secured on the wall whilst hanging high up .

Anyway this was the best guitar out of them all, in which was also much more cheaper than the many Martins, and other guitars in store i tried out .

Stats from the site where i seen this same Guild gad D-140 guitar below
thing i liked also was its solid wood also back n ' sides .

Guild D-140 Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar with Case, Natural
Guild D-140 acoustic steel guitar, dreadnought, GAD series, solid spruce top, back & sides solid mahogany, scalloped bracing, mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, 20 frets, scale 648mm, nut width 43mm, graph tech nut and saddle, black... more
Only
£469
Old 09-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Regardless of what anyone may say about a guitar, regardless of who makes it, and regardless of the price, the real factor that needs considering is whether you like the way the guitar sounds and plays. If you thought it was the best of the best in the store and it felt right to you, there is NO REASON at all to not buy it (assuming you have the funds).

What I would recommend is don't buy the same guitar online. Go ahead and haggle with the store and get the price down some, but if you liked the sound of THAT guitar, then you need to get the one you played, not a copy online.

As for the store guitar hooks... It sounds like they have a catastrophe just waiting to happen!

Good luck with the guitar and please post up some pics when you get it!

Todd
Old 09-27-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock N' Roll View Post
I Just tried out several guitars and the one i thought was the better sounding guitar for me was a Guild Gad -140
If it's the one for you, then it's the one for you.

It's good to ask in case there are any huge red flags or something, but I say go for it.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 09-27-2012, 10:15 AM

I have owned a Guild GAD 50 since around 2005. It's a great guitar that has just gotten better with age. It is the guitar that ended my prejudices against Chinese made instruments.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:50 PM

Ok , thanks for all your answers guys , do you think "IF" i do go for this guitar then whats the best way to ask regards aprice cut to the store guy
about the guitar i played in the store with regards it being on display hanging up on wall for how long ? about a price cut which is £500 in store

Ps
The cheapest ive seen this guitar is about £30 cheaper at Thomann and which gets sent free of charge im sure, when i last checked .
Old 09-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Just go up with cash and make an offer. Worse that can happen is they say no, or perhaps you can get a few extra sets of strings to go with it.

Todd
Old 09-27-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock N' Roll View Post
Anyway this was the best guitar out of them all, in which was also much more cheaper than the many Martins, and other guitars in store i tried out .
Hey, if that is "the" guitar for you, by all means buy it and feel happy you could get such a great guitar for such a nice price. Would love to see pictures if you pull the trigger on it.

Bryant
1991 Takamine EF350MC
Fender T-Bucket 400CE
$19 Silvertone Bobby Labonte SNBLA
Old 09-27-2012, 06:59 PM

I always start with a "Would you consider ....". That seems to work for me.

I have owned and played some of the original Guilds that were made in the USA, and they were, and are fine guitars. Guild guitars have been played by some of the best in the world, especially their 12-strings, which are among the best 12-strings out there. One example only is that Stevie Ray Vaughn often played a Guild 12 string.

The GAD (Guild Acoustic Design) made in Asia models are built on the original specs developed by some of the best guitars makers of the day who worked for Alfred Dronge at his original Guild factories.

I would recommend you look up Guild on-line and read the very interesting history of the brand. They are a distinctive brand among the best on the market. "Made To Be Played" since 1953.

Once you know the distinctive headstock design, you will be surprized how often it pops up on big band stages.
Collings OM2H Custom
Old 09-27-2012, 11:10 PM

A gentle way to start negotiations, which I used successfully once: "I've seen this same guitar offered on the Internet for $xxx. I know you might not be able to meet that, but would you take $xxx plus $25?" (Or some such number.) I think it IS important to get the actual guitar that you've heard and like....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion