The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Epiphone Ultra 339

Hey all,

Does anyone have any experience with this guitar? I played one today and am strongly considering trading in a 30+ year old Epiphone 335 for one of these. I'm barely 5' 6" and find the 335 too large and uncomfortable to play, especially seated, and the 339 is a MUCH better fit. Still, when so many features are built in to a single guitar (this has the Nanomag pickup for acoustic tones as well as magnetic pickups), I wonder at overall reliability.

Also, which of our forum retailers or e-tailers would be the go-to for making this purchase?

Thanks very much,
Mike

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-20-2012, 04:50 PM

The epiphone semi-hollow products are highly regarded by many posters on the other forums I frequent. Another smaller semi-hollow worth considering is the Ibanez AM73, which ironically, many say the Gibby/Epi is based on b/c the Ibanez in this size came out before the 339s. They are essentially identical in dimensions.

I bought the Ibanez rather than the Epiphone based on price... I usually deal with Musician's Friend, although there are other good internet retailers out there as well...
Old 09-20-2012, 04:52 PM

I'm only 5'7" and felt the same about the 335 as you do.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timallums View Post
I'm only 5'7" and felt the same about the 335 as you do.
I'm 5'9" and had the same issues - I had an Epiphone Sheraton II for several years, and while I loved the way it played and sounded, could never get really comfortable with it. A semi with smaller proportions is high on my wish list...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all. I'd look at that Ibanez, but I like the acoustic sounds of the Nanomag pickup. I can easily see bringing one guitar to a gig and getting close enough sounds. And blending the Nano and the mags gave some really nice tones. PRS has one, but it is something close to $2500, and there's no way I'm spending that. I may pick up the Epi, as long as there is a return policy, just in case after owning it a few days, it isn't as great as it seemed in the store.

Have a good night,
Mike

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 09-24-2012, 07:21 AM

I own the Epi 339 Standard (not Ultra) and I really think it is a great guitar for the money. I purchased mine from Sweetwater - and I really recomend them because if you talk to a sales Rep - you can have them set it up with your choice of strings before they ship it. Mine came out of the case brand new ready to play. Hard to complain about that. The fit and finish on the Epi was not exactly to the USA made standards - but for $400 - you cant ask for much more.
2004 Fender Classic 50's Telecaster
2011 Fender Blacktop Telecaster
Old 09-24-2012, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Thanks again, all. I bought the Ultra at GC. I brought in my Epi, they made me a decent offer for it after I found out that there were some modifications on it before I bought it that removed it from the "Vintage" category (I bought it used in 1980, and it appears the pickups had been changed, then I added an out-of-phase switch), and we couldn't find a serial number. They gave me close to $400 for it. Then they immediately took 15% off the retail price of the new guitar, then another $30. I walked in with a guitar that was uncomfortable to play and left with a guitar (on order because I wanted a color they didn't have in stock) I believe I will thoroughly enjoy for about $300 out of pocket. Overall, I'm pretty happy with that!

I'll report back on fit, finish and sound when I get the guitar, possibly as early as this Thursday.

Thanks again,
Mike

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 09-25-2012, 07:29 PM

Hey mike, I have the 339 Pro and love it....and I'm 6'1".
1971(?) Yamaha FG-180
Old 09-26-2012, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Thanks CF! I really think I'm going to love this guitar. Should be delivered tomorrow. I'll post feedback as soon as I get to spend some time with it. I do know I will be much, much more comfortable with it than the 335.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 09-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

I got the guitar, played it a bit, and my preliminary impressions are that this is going to be a great guitar to own. The action was a tad high out of the box, but a couple of turns with a screwdriver at the bridge brought it to a terrific level, and it sounds great through my Fishman amp, with and without overdrive. I have to tweak the pickup heights to my desired level, but otherwise, I'm am extremely happy with this guitar. I was out of 9V batteries, so I couldn't test the acoustic pickup or tuner. I bought some and as soon as I get a chance, I will pop one in and play the heck out of it over the weekend. I would certainly recommend this guitar to anyone looking for an electric that can handle acoustic tones as well.

Thanks again!!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 10-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quick follow-up...the guitar was buzzing, and quick adjustments to the bridge weren't helping at all. Per the tech at GC, the guitar needs a fret-leveling. Because the guitar is brand new, they are opting to order a new replacement. I asked if another I saw on the wall was in good shape, and if so, I would be willing to take that one (different color, but nice), and the tech said that it also "has its issues". I asked if, based on having two that needed work, wouldn't it make sense to simply fix the new one and not waste time waiting on another that could have issues as well, and he said that the store is opting for the swap. So it's good that they are standing behind the product, but a challenge because I was hoping to use it at a gig this Friday. Oh well. We'll see how it goes!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 10-02-2012, 02:46 PM

I'm sorry to hear about that. Epi quality has usually been better than that as of lately... But it's probably 'better' for GC to get another guitar than to be bothered with a fret leveling...
Old 10-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timallums View Post
I'm sorry to hear about that. Epi quality has usually been better than that as of lately... But it's probably 'better' for GC to get another guitar than to be bothered with a fret leveling...
Thanks, and I agree. The timing could be better, but I have another electric I can play on Friday, so it's only a small bump in the road. I would rather get one that is in good shape to start.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 10-03-2012, 08:38 AM

This is why I only buy from Sweetwater - GC doesnt care if you get a quality well set up guitar the first time. When I purchased my 339 - Sweetwater set it up with my choice of strings and made sure that I got a quality instrument from the get go.
2004 Fender Classic 50's Telecaster
2011 Fender Blacktop Telecaster
Old 10-03-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
This is why I only buy from Sweetwater - GC doesnt care if you get a quality well set up guitar the first time. When I purchased my 339 - Sweetwater set it up with my choice of strings and made sure that I got a quality instrument from the get go.
That's good to know. How much extra did they charge for that?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars