The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-04-2012, 11:31 PM

Question NGD/SGD (GS Mini HOG)

New Guitar day/Sold Guitar day.
So,I picked up a new GS Mini Hog today .I sold my GC3 ,not because I didn't like it but because the Mini
will suit my needs for a true travel guitar much better .
I tried (over the last 2 weeks) every Mini available including all the Limiteds.The Mahogany just seems to suite my
ear more so than the others.
Have those of you who have owned a Mini for a period of time noticed an opening up of your instrument as one would expect from a solid wood guitar,considering the Mini is laminate back and sides ?

Martin OM-21 (2010)
Gibson J-45TV (2011)
Gibson J-35 (2017)
Old 08-05-2012, 02:05 AM

I've had mine for awhile it was great from the start

I did change the saddle to bone and it made it sound more scooped in the mids I'm thinking of putting the new bone back in and I changed the tuners to Sperzels I think the sperzel locking tuners are fantastic

and I put Allparts ebony bridge pins they are very nice

as far as opening up I can't tell because of the bone saddle but its a lively guitar from day one BTW mine is a spruce top
Old 08-05-2012, 06:27 AM

Congrats Rosewood! Regarding the travel guitar, is it the size that you prefer over the GC3? Or is it that the lower cost means you worry less in the event a travel "accident" happens?

Enjoy!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Congrats Rosewood! Regarding the travel guitar, is it the size that you prefer over the GC3? Or is it that the lower cost means you worry less in the event a travel "accident" happens?

Enjoy!
Hey Dru and to the OP,

I am not trying to hijack the thread, but wanted to provide an additional response to Dru's question.

For me, I have tried several travel guitars and alternatively, "nicer" guitars that I have taken on trips. For me, ahem taking the nicer instrument (same size or slightly larger than the Mini), I always had a bit of heartburn about some sort of accident. Also, travel cases other than the Mini case are a bit larger and for me, a little less comfortable.

In the end, the Mini ended up being the answer for me. It sounds good, travels well and I am not anxiety ridden about something negative happening to it.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
Hey Dru and to the OP,

I am not trying to hijack the thread, but wanted to provide an additional response to Dru's question.

For me, I have tried several travel guitars and alternatively, "nicer" guitars that I have taken on trips. For me, ahem taking the nicer instrument (same size or slightly larger than the Mini), I always had a bit of heartburn about some sort of accident. Also, travel cases other than the Mini case are a bit larger and for me, a little less comfortable.

In the end, the Mini ended up being the answer for me. It sounds good, travels well and I am not anxiety ridden about something negative happening to it.
Thanks for the input KH. That's also my thoughts when I think of a travel guitar. Something very playable and enjoyable but a guitar (cost wise) I don't have to worry about.

I wonder if that is also Rosewood's (OP's) thoughts (which is why I initially asked the question).
Old 08-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewoood View Post
New Guitar day/Sold Guitar day.
So,I picked up a new GS Mini Hog today .I sold my GC3 ,not because I didn't like it but because the Mini
will suit my needs for a true travel guitar much better .
I tried (over the last 2 weeks) every Mini available including all the Limiteds.The Mahogany just seems to suite my
ear more so than the others.
Have those of you who have owned a Mini for a period of time noticed an opening up of your instrument as one would expect from a solid wood guitar,considering the Mini is laminate back and sides ?
Congratulations on the Hog! I picked one up on Friday and other than taking a picture and posting my "NGD" here, haven't hardly put it down. Have fun.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post

Enjoy!
Actually you are correct on both counts. Size (mostly) and less worry.Although I certainly would hate anything to happen to it as I'm
already warming up to the guitar. It's coming with me on my trip Tuesday.

Martin OM-21 (2010)
Gibson J-45TV (2011)
Gibson J-35 (2017)
Old 08-05-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Actually you are correct on both counts. Size (mostly) and less worry.Although I certainly would hate anything to happen to it as I'm
already warming up to the guitar. It's coming with me on my trip Tuesday.
You're going to love that GS Mini! I'm sure the Mini would love the Ontario wilderness.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:24 PM

Just a quick update.
I switched to another brand of strings . Never really liked the Elixirs.
The new strings are not coated and medium Phos/Bronze.
A world of difference (for the better) in feel and tone .(IMO)

Martin OM-21 (2010)
Gibson J-45TV (2011)
Gibson J-35 (2017)
Old 10-21-2012, 06:31 PM

Congrats on new guitar bro is a good week for ngds I just got my Irish Avalon S101 the other day and I to will be traveling with it often
Old 11-26-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Just a quick update.
I switched to another brand of strings . Never really liked the Elixirs.
The new strings are not coated and medium Phos/Bronze.
A world of difference (for the better) in feel and tone .(IMO)
What brand?
Did you stick with mediums?

I use lights on my other guitars, Martin and D'Addario so far. Happy with either and can't really tell the difference. <g>
Eastman E10-OM AE - SOLD
Eastman AC 122 CE - SOLD
Eastman AC 420 CESB - SOLD
Taylor 320 (LR Baggs Lyric) - SOLD
Pono ATDC-Ce (tenor ukulele) gCEA
Oscar Schmidt OU53 (baritone ukulele) - SOLD
Gold Tone model "BUT" (tenor banjo ukulele) gCEA

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion