The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-24-2012, 01:57 PM

Default Nut size 1 3/4 and 1 7/8ths?

Do you think there is any noticeable difference between a 1 and 3/4 nut and a 1 and 7/8ths nut. (Does the 1/8 inch cause any frustration or woe). I have small hands.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:02 PM

There's definitely a difference in the feel between a 1 3/4" nut and a 1 7/8" nut. I've owned guitars with 1 7/8" nuts, and while I navigated them without much trouble, I would never buy a guitar with that wide a nut without trying it first. It's not a minor issue or a trivial concern.

I happen to have long fingers, longer than most people's, and I find 1 7/8" nuts to be a bit of a handful.

So make an effort to seek one out that you can try before committing to a 1 7/8" nut.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-24-2012, 02:15 PM

My first good guitar was my 00-21NY which I got in high school and has 1 7/8", I also have guitars with 1 3/4" and 1 11/16" ... I find I can move from one to the other fairly easily mainly because I've been doing it for so long. But, yes, it really is amazing what a difference even 1/16" makes. Back when I got the 00-21NY I really liked the wide neck for having fun bending and choking strings playing the blues. Now it's just part of playing my favorite guitar. Comfort I think is a combination of the width and neck profile. I agree that you really need to try out different necks to see how they feel and play for you. Good luck and have fun now that you've got a new excuse to play and play and play!
Old 07-24-2012, 02:17 PM

Yeah, you must try before you buy. That little bit of difference can feel huge to some folks. I can simply grab a guitar neck and tell you right away by feel if it's 1 7/8. I generally prefer 1 3/4, but can tolerate smaller necks. I have fairly long fingers. 1 7/8 is just too wide for me for a six-string, unless it's a baritone or a 12-string, then it's okay. Since you have small hands, 1 7/8 is probably not going to work, but it can depend significantly on the neck profile, too.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:33 PM

Big difference, at least for my playing.

I love the 1-3/4" nut size, moved my early Martins from 1-11/16" nut to models with 1-3/4", it made a difference especially with fingerstyle, even though I am primarily a flatpicker.

I bought a wonderful custom shop Martin 0-28VS, gorgeous sound, and I couldn't play the darn thing without pain. It had a 1-7/8" nut and I have arthritis, that 1/8" made my wrist bend the tiniest bit more and just did not work for me.

For some folks nut size doesn't matter, for others neck profile doesn't matter, for still others nut size or neck profile matters very much.

For me I am flexible with neck profile but I need the 1-3/4" nut. Find out what matters to you before you buy, it saves a lot of money............

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-24-2012, 02:38 PM

Hey RiptonVT - like others here, I can tell the difference. Just to compare, there's only 1/16" difference between the 1 11/16" and 1 3/4" but 2/16" (1/8") between the 1 3/4" and 1 7/8".

I find the 1 7/8" just a little too wide for my tastes, but like others have said, I would strongly recommend playing any guitar with a 1 7/8" guitar prior to buying one just so that you know what to expect.

Are you planning on buying?
Old 07-24-2012, 02:50 PM

The main issue is the string spacing. You can get guitars with 1 7/8 nuts where the string spacing is actually tighter than on 1 3/4 ones (it shouldn't be but it is). In general both sizes can be set up with an agreeable string spacing. Once that's done, then certainly to me, the extra (or missing) 1/8" is no big deal. It's the string spacing. I mean, look at neck thicknesses and shapes - players will happily accomodate quite a range of different ones in their guitar collection. So given that, I don't believe that for most players, a difference of 1/8" nut width is a big deal, but the string spacing, yeah maybe.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 07-24-2012, 05:03 PM

You wouldn't think an eighth of an inch would make a difference, but it really does. I have average sized hands and "hate" 1 7/8" nuts. Go and try some guitars with difference nuts to see what you like. Most of the guys I know who like larger sized widths have big mitts.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed C. View Post
You wouldn't think an eighth of an inch would make a difference, but it really does. I have average sized hands and "hate" 1 7/8" nuts. Go and try some guitars with difference nuts to see what you like. Most of the guys I know who like larger sized widths have big mitts.
In England, in over forty years playing, I have never heard anyone even comment or talk about the nut width issue, let alone fret about getting a guitar with the 'right size' one fitted. Yet in the US, it seems to be a major thing.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 07-24-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyam View Post
In England, in over forty years playing, I have never heard anyone even comment or talk about the nut width issue, let alone fret about getting a guitar with the 'right size' one fitted. Yet in the US, it seems to be a major thing.
Maybe on guitar forums. Not out in real life, not as a general rule. The only time it's ever come up in actual conversation for me is when I've been discussing the details of guitars I've been ordering from hand builders.

whm
Old 07-24-2012, 06:03 PM

I agree ... in general face-to-face conversation, I seldom if ever hear guitarists discuss nut width, bridge pins, scale length, strings, picks, tone woods or almost any of the various heavy issues that get maximum coverage here. Mostly, they just play their guitars ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Maybe on guitar forums. Not out in real life, not as a general rule. The only time it's ever come up in actual conversation for me is when I've been discussing the details of guitars I've been ordering from hand builders.

whm

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 07-24-2012, 06:13 PM

I really like the 1-13/16" nut on my Recording King... right in the middle.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:04 PM

There's a difference for me ... though I was eventually able to play on a 1 7/8" neck ... though I'm not entirely sure if it was because of the nut width or the fact that the guitar was also a 12-string. I don't think I've ever played a 6-string (other than nylon crossovers) with a 1 7/8" neck.

My 6-strings are between 1 11/16" - 1 13/16" and I don't have a problem switching between them.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:07 PM

If the profile fits my hand well....I have zero issues with 1 7/8.

My hands are quite small too.

14fret 0
12fret 000
Old 07-24-2012, 07:24 PM

Classical guitars have 2" nuts on a chunky neck. 12 strings usually are made with a 1 7/8" nut. Usually NP, just get used to it. The only time a wide neck bothers me is if I do a thumb wrap for a 6 string D chord, due to some arthritis.

I have what are called "philosopher's hands": large but my fingers are stubbier. No one would mistake my hands for Robert Johnson's! I don't like 1 11/16's nuts but anything else is easy to get used to.

My Martin dread has a modified V neck and it makes the width of the fretboard feel wider, if that makes sense.
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion