The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Man makes bike out of cardboard!

Love guys like this who just have to figure things out.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articl...ver.aspx#page1
Old 07-18-2012, 05:49 AM

That's amazing!

It is obvious that the fellow has design and manufacturing experience.
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)
Old 07-18-2012, 05:58 AM
Guitar Gourmet

This guy reminds me of my dad, who is a retired environmental scientist. Someone once told him, "Womack, if they decided to send a man to the moon using paper clips, rubber bands, and tape, I would hope you'd be the project engineer." He told me, "That was about the greatest compliment I ever received." A big part of my memories of early life are of some appliance dying and us pulling it apart. My dad would stand and stare at the problem for a while and then we'd disappear into the basement. A while later we would return with some improbable but elegant creation he made from scraps that did exactly what was needed then he'd fix the appliance with a little smile of satisfaction. Meanwhile my mom silently prayed that the problem was something he couldn't fix so she could have a shiny new appliance.

My part was, "Here, hold this, just so."

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-18-2012, 06:15 AM

I used to live in Cambridge, Mass. home of MIT -- the home of more bizarre inventions than you can imagine.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:23 AM

What a great post. Thanks for sharing this.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:37 AM

The world could use a lot more guys like this. People who know how to make "things" as opposed to "deals".
Old 07-18-2012, 07:56 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Gotta love it! As great as it is, unfortunately it'll likely never make it to market in any significant way due to pressures (including unscrupulous) by the bicycle industry.

It's interesting that the guy is also shown crafting a wood electric guitar. I'm now wondering if 'quality' electric and acoustic (and other instruments) could be crafted from cardboard. Based on what this guy has been able to do, I'm sure it could be done with some success for a solid-body electric. For acoustic guitars, I wonder if the soundboard/b&s could be designed with the tonal characteristics of wood, or even something close but different, like is the case with carbon fiber? Hmmm.

Last edited by Acousticado; 07-18-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:09 AM

Interesting. They also show him working on what looks like a one piece solid body electric guitar made from wood. I wonder if he plays.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Gotta love it! As great as it is, unfortunately it'll likely never make it to market in any significant way due to pressures (including unscrupulous) by the bicycle industry.

It's interesting that the guy is also shown crafting a wood electric guitar. I'm now wondering if 'quality' electric and acoustic (and other instruments) could be crafted from cardboard. Based on what this guy has been able to do, I'm sure it could be done with some success for a solid-body electric. For acoustic guitars, I wonder if the soundboard/b&s could be designed with the tonal characteristics of wood, or even something close but different, like is the case with carbon fiber? Hmmm.
I saw a show that didn't last, but it was a couple of venture capitol guys that would evaluate inventions and decide if they would invest in developing them into products.

One of the contestants made a cardboard upright bass that was designed to be assembled by the buyer, (Ikea style). The venture capitol guys assembled it and had a bass player try it out. It sounded really good. They even did a blind test between a wood upright and the cardboard version w/ bass players selecting the one that sounded best. The cardboard bass won.
I don't know if they are planning on bringing it to market, but it really did sound good.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:35 AM

I'm a cyclist and I read a lot of this stuff... I've seen bikes made of bamboo, PVC tubing, wood, and near anything else you can think of.
One was made of solid rebar in various sizes. Not for your "weight-weenies"....

With modern 3-D printing technology advancing apace, I imagine it's just a matter of time before we see a 3-D printed bike, if one hasn't been made already.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
I saw a show that didn't last, but it was a couple of venture capitol guys that would evaluate inventions and decide if they would invest in developing them into products.

One of the contestants made a cardboard upright bass that was designed to be assembled by the buyer, (Ikea style). The venture capitol guys assembled it and had a bass player try it out. It sounded really good. They even did a blind test between a wood upright and the cardboard version w/ bass players selecting the one that sounded best. The cardboard bass won.
I don't know if they are planning on bringing it to market, but it really did sound good.
Yeah, I remember that show. Here's the link to the bass.
http://www.edencompanies.com/bogdon/
I don't think that shows on any longer, but there is at least one other that is. I believe it's called Invention Hunters.

Cool bike and post. I'd like to see that for sale someday!

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 07-18-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
Yeah, I remember that show. Here's the link to the bass.
http://www.edencompanies.com/bogdon/
I don't think that shows on any longer, but there is at least one other that is. I believe it's called Invention Hunters.

Cool bike and post. I'd like to see that for sale someday!

Mark
Yeah, that's the one...thanks for posting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic