The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-17-2012, 02:46 PM

Default July 17, 1996

Today is the 16th anniversary of the TWA flight 800 crash off Long Island. I was actually stationed at the Coast Guard Group Office in Moriches that was the nerve center for the search and recovery effort.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...rash&FORM=IGRE
Old 07-17-2012, 03:52 PM

Thank you for the reminder. All too often we forget.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:54 PM

Lost Marcel Dadi on that one.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:34 PM

That was the news story that "made" MSNBC's reputation as a cable-news channel (just as CNN made its bones on its coverage of Desert Storm). Before that, it was sort of a curiosity: I watched it more for the MS part than the NBC part. Almost nobody else was covering computer technology, especially the online world, as well or with as polished production values. Remember the flagship of its nightly prime-time lineup, "The Site?" It was hosted, in her national TV debut, by Soledad O'Brien. It also had a segment in an on-set espresso bar (product placement by S.F.'s Cafe Trieste) with a hunky "toon" barista (I forget his name), voiced by tech reporter Leo LaPorte, who would banter with O'Brien as he reported the latest tech news headlines. Most of MSNBC's tech shows even originated from a studio in the Bay Area. It had recently moved its hard news operations to Hoboken, NJ.

That night, I watched MSNBC for several hours straight. Its coverage was so riveting, with blow-by-blow commentary by the likes of Pierre Salinger (eyewitness) and Jim Tilmon (TV meteorologist who was also a commercial pilot), that it didn't occur to me to switch to (my then "go-to" for breaking news) CNN or any of the broadcast networks. Had I not tuned in for "The Site," I probably wouldn't have thought to watch MSNBC for hard breaking news.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
That was the news story that "made" MSNBC's reputation as a cable-news channel (just as CNN made its bones on its coverage of Desert Storm). Before that, it was sort of a curiosity: I watched it more for the MS part than the NBC part. Almost nobody else was covering computer technology, especially the online world, as well or with as polished production values. Remember the flagship of its nightly prime-time lineup, "The Site?" It was hosted, in her national TV debut, by Soledad O'Brien. It also had a segment in an on-set espresso bar (product placement by S.F.'s Cafe Trieste) with a hunky "toon" barista (I forget his name), voiced by tech reporter Leo LaPorte, who would banter with O'Brien as he reported the latest tech news headlines. Most of MSNBC's tech shows even originated from a studio in the Bay Area. It had recently moved its hard news operations to Hoboken, NJ.

That night, I watched MSNBC for several hours straight. Its coverage was so riveting, with blow-by-blow commentary by the likes of Pierre Salinger (eyewitness) and Jim Tilmon (TV meteorologist who was also a commercial pilot), that it didn't occur to me to switch to (my then "go-to" for breaking news) CNN or any of the broadcast networks. Had I not tuned in for "The Site," I probably wouldn't have thought to watch MSNBC for hard breaking news.
Too bad that they later focused on politics instead of broader news coverage, and then decided to become a partisan outlet (along with others). CNN no longer has any real competitors, which is good for CNN, but not for viewers.

Regarding the original post, it's hard to believe how long ago some of these events were. Even 9/11 is approaching the 11th anniversary, which means incoming high school freshman probably have no memory of the actual event and immediate aftermath. Or, if you go the other direction in time by 5 years to 1991, you find yourself at the end of the Cold War, which many college aged students probably don't understand very well, if at all. To me, it's spooky how something that was so pervasive throughout my life (the Cold War) is hardly ever mentioned anymore. I guess maybe that's a good thing...? OK, I'm rambling.!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:33 AM

I remember the ValuJet crash in the everglades happening about the same time. Just looked it up. Yup, it was 16 years ago this past May. A friend of mine caught a flight out of Ft. Lauderdale and was supposed to be on THAT PLANE after it landed in Atlanta and headed on to Charlotte. I noticed that his flight was delayed...and delayed again. Of course, everyone in the outside world knew what was going on except for those of us inside the airport. I didn't find out anything until I got back home that night.

Geez, what a farce ValuJet was. Each airlplane in the fleet was at least 15 years old, and the one that went down was almost 30 years old. Makes me shiver at the thought.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic