The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-05-2012, 12:21 PM

Default Bought my first Nylon and think I have a problem

Hi there,

New member here. I wouldn't call myself an acoustic player but I've been playing electric for 35 years. I strum an acoustic here and there, mostly for recording in my home studio.

Bought a used Taylor NS24CE - a crossover nylon string guitar that is fun to play. My issue is that when plugged in, the E, A & D strings buzz like crazy (unless I play ever so gentle). The buzzing is not audible acoustically - I don't think the string is vibrating on the frets. Makes me think that the pickup (wherever and whatever it is) itself is vibrating.

Anyone have any insight for me?

Also, while I have your attention: the strings sound pretty dead and I should replace them, but searched as I may, I cannot find any tips for what strings I should consider. Advice much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:55 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Could be a lose connection somewhere or a rattling piece like a knob or something similar, could also be a loose brace (less likely) or even a loose battery (does that model have a battery?). It would have to be a pretty specific kind of buzz to be inaudible acoustically and then show up when plugged in - maybe some issue with one of the piezos/soundboard mounts (again, I don't know which system is in your guitar) or in the electronics setup itself. I hope you can figure out what the issue is and fix it, those Taylor NS models are so great plugged in that it would be a shame to only use it unplugged!
Old 06-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Buzz

I've had two of those NS24ces. Both of them seem to easily get out of adjustment and need periodic neck adjustments. I am certainly not sure if that is what is going on with yours, but it might be worth looking into. Maybe they are very sensitive to the climate..I do not know. It was difficult to keep the action reasonable low and keep them from buzzing. As for the strings...considering the scale and neck configuration, I would try a set of D'Addario Extra Hard Tensions (EJ44s I think).
Old 06-05-2012, 02:00 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFingerstyle View Post
As for the strings...considering the scale and neck configuration, I would try a set of D'Addario Extra Hard Tensions (EJ44s I think).
+1 on those strings - either the EXP, which last forever, or the Pro Arté, which may be a bit "sweeter" - they're a solid, relatively inexpensive option.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:02 AM

Default Frayed Pickup Under Saddle

Hello there,

If you change the strings gently lift up the saddle and see if any of the foil is off the actually magnetic pickup.

This was my problem on one of my Martins. I did the new bone saddle install and learned what most luthiers already know.....pressing or moving a saddle with an undersaddle pickup can damage it.

You will get a hum that is constant and noise when you pluck the strings.

How to check?
1-Plug guitar into amp
2-Turn amp on and full volume on guitar
3-Put your right finger on the jack and touch some metal. You will not get shocked but if the buzzing and humming go away you have a ground issue where part of their magnetic pickup is touching the top/bridge that is conducting sound (thus the buzzing/noise/humming).

Hope that helps. It is about a 60 buck fix on my Martin. Really helped.

Jon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical