The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-01-2012, 03:26 PM

Default My Walden sounds as good as a Taylor!

No, not really. Of all the guitars I've played at GC, I like the Taylor 314ce the best and Taylors almost always sound the best to me at open mics.

Having said that, I did buy an inexpensive Walden G640 (grand auditorium, solid sitka top, lam mahogany back/sides) recently and it sounds quite decent. I just installed a Schatten HFN active pickup and must say it now sounds really good. I suppose if the plugged in sound is better than the acoustic sound, the pickup must be coloring the sound and perhaps it is or perhaps it's just because now I'm hearing the sound coming at me instead of going away from me. In any case, it sounds good enough that my lust for a 314/GA3 is now on hold. Will play it an an open mic tomorrow to see how it sounds in a big room with a sound guy running the PA.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:08 PM

Waldens do indeed rock.

IMO, they are the best-sounding budget (chinese-made) acoustics currently being made.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 05-01-2012, 06:42 PM

Thumbs up

Waldens do indeed rock! I'm very happy with mine. It's far from the best guitar I have, but for that reason, it's the one that sits out on a stand, ready to play on a whim. It sounds much better than I expected for the price and is a very playable guitar.

And, it sits there whispering: "Cmon - you know you wanna play me. You know you do. It'll be soooooo much more fun than what you're doing...".

You've got to love a guitar like that.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:04 PM

Well I was going to respond by asking how many years you've stood in front of a drummer on stage, but I see your point now.

I haven't played or heard a Walden, but the Epi Masterbuilt series is astonishingly good. I have a love for older MIJ acoustic guitars, and currently own two of them. They're on the stand, ready to pick up whenever the urge presents itself, while my Morgan sits safely in it's humidified case.

Congrats on finding a good player.
70s Guild M-80 (modded)
70s Partscaster (rebuilt)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion