The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2012, 09:55 AM

Default NGD Taylor GS Mini Ltd !

I went down to my local mom and pop Taylor dealer to purchase a music stand for my daughter on yesterday. I wondered back to the acoustic room to check out the inventory. I was hoping to audition a GS mini mahogany top but they were sold out like most seem to be right now. SO the salesman says, let me double check because the truck just came in and I know we had 1 on order. He comes back with 4 GS mini boxes. There was 1 standard sapele and the other 3 were the new spring limited models. I was hoping the standard would be the winner because it cost the least and it had an awesome bear claw top. It was the first one I tried and it was good. The maple was good but a little thinner sounding compared to the rest. The rosewood was ok. But the blackwood was outstanding! This thing has volume and punch with lots of sweet mids. The bass was thunderous and the highs were round and sweet. Needless to say, I brought it home and its a keeper for sure!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:59 AM

Congrats!!! You had your pick of the litter. Consider yourself fortunate. My buddy told me last night that the local shop finally has one in stock. I've never seen or played a GS Mini before and I'm always looking.

So, is it a comfortable couch guitar?

Enjoy!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:04 AM

Don't the minis have laminated back and sides? You could hear a difference in the laminates?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 04-21-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Don't the minis have laminated back and sides? You could hear a difference in the laminates?
You are correct, there is no tonal difference between the laminate back and sides but there could be subtle tonal differences between several guitars. To me the Maple LTD sounded the best probably because I think it looks the best.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:20 AM

Laminates or not - The woods used in creating these sides and backs can absolutley effect the sound. Compare a modern Taylor 214 RW to a 214 Sapale laminated guitar - To me they sound diffrent but in a Good way.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

The pictures of the Limited Mini's look like they have grain filler under the finish. Is that so or just low res photography?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Im sure that is has something to do with it. How much, I couldn't say. What I am saying is that this was projected a great deal more than the others and the tone is richer. So some may think that tone doesn't vary that much when the guitar has laminate construction, but it indeed does. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to pick and choose. I have auditioned the GS mini on at least 4 other occasions and find them to be constantly good. But this one is something special. It has extra punch and sparkle. The spruce top has a very silk wide grain . Im beginning to wonder if it might be something other than sitka.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:16 PM

Congratulations, you definitely lucked out there! Really like the look of the TB.

Please get some pics up... aside from the publicity shots no one's posted any pictures of these ltd's as yet!
Old 04-23-2012, 07:24 PM

Congratulations! I agree, pics please.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:56 PM

As far as laminate back and sides not having much affect on tone, I've played several Beard/Goldtone Squareneck Reso's. I've played the maple laminate and the mahogany laminate and in every case, the maple laminate was brighter than the mahogany. I've played at least three of each, probably more. That would be one heck of a coincidence.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny1948golf View Post
As far as laminate back and sides not having much affect on tone, I've played several Beard/Goldtone Squareneck Reso's. I've played the maple laminate and the mahogany laminate and in every case, the maple laminate was brighter than the mahogany. I've played at least three of each, probably more. That would be one heck of a coincidence.
But perhaps the difference in tone is owing more to the difference between maple and mahogany rather than the fact that both are laminates? Maple does tend to be brighter than mahogany, laminate or not.

My personal opinion is that laminate vs. solid back and sides in a guitar the size of a GS Mini isn't going to make a huge difference. If there were a significant difference, I'm sure Taylor would have used solid woods for the Limiteds because there are people out there who would pay the upcharge.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:29 PM

Wow, so cool you got to try them all. I love my Mini (original) and play it often. I do like the maple tho' and would like to see one sometime. Congrats on NGD!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion