The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2012, 07:21 AM

Default 1973 Yairy DY-77

I have mentioned this guitar in a few previous Yairy threads and since several members who seemed very knowledgeable about Yairy lore have noted some seeming contradictions and inconsistencies between my description of the instrument and what is 'out there' I'd thought I'd start this thread to help fill in the perceived gaps.

I bought this guitar back in the early to mid `70s. Memory tells me it was in late `73 or early `74 but a nearly fifty year old memory can not be fully trusted, so I dug into the available info and this is what I have found.

First the guitar itself, in pics...

Note that this guitar is according to the headstock simply an "Alvarez." Only the inner label tells us it was made by Kazuo Yairy. This in itself marks it as a very early American-marketed Yairy instrument.

Perhaps even more unique, based on info shared here on the AGF, is its being clearly labeled as a "DY-77." The common knowledge seems to be that Yairys dated this early used only numbers in their model designation and that the "DY" suggests that this would have to be an instrument from at least a year or two later.

But is the 1973 date correct? Yes. The date is discernible (barely) on the guitar's inside label (more so when seeing the actual label then in the photo), but I also have the hanging tag that came on the guitar. Here it is in a composite photo of the front and rear sides:

The date there is clear and matches what is on the guitar itself: April 4, 1973.

And then there is this copy of the St. Louis Music 1973 Yairy price list which lists this guitar on page 2:

So my memory seems to be vindicated and Yairy 'lore' such as it is may need to be a bit revised.

In any case, and by far most important, is that this early American-sold Yairy is one sweet guitar. As the photos show it has stood the test of time admirably -- and this with no babying whatever. Early on she flew in the luggage bin regularly in just her standard hard-shell case, she has never been humidified or dehumidified. Aside from needing the bridge re-glued about 25 years ago she has never needed any adjustment at all. And she sounds and plays absolutely marvelously.

Anyone care to give a thought on her value today?

-don
Old 04-21-2012, 09:27 AM

I'm no expert, but I bought a 1988 DY39 Yairi a while ago and it is such a nice guitar for the money that I have been thinking about buying another one. So I have been watching the ads.

The two DY-77's I saw sold on Ebay recently went for $582.90 (a 1979 DY-77) and $670 (a 1976 DY-77).

I think the Yairi market right now is a great one for buyers (you can get a really nice guitar for $300 to $500) but a bad one for sellers. Someday people are going to start noticing that Yairis last forever and sound and play fantastic, and the prices are going to change.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:42 PM

Default I have the same guitar

Hi Don,
I have just started looking into the history of my guitar. It is the same as yours. It is a DY77 with 3 piece back and "Alvarez" in script on the head stock. Based on the number inside on the neck block, it was built Jan 1973.I bought it new in 1973 and when the store received another for stock it was new new version. The store manager looked into it and was told mine was a production prototype. I always thought that was a bit of BS, but now that I look into it I find it may be possible.
Anyway...it has always been my favorite guitar (and I have had many) and has only gotten better with age.
Ben
Old 08-22-2012, 05:59 PM

Not to be a nit picker, but the correct spelling is Yairi, (as shown on the label in the photo), and I do believe the correct pronunciation is "ya-ear-ee".

I agree that Yairis are excellent guitars. My DY-77 still plays beautifully and it has never needed a set up in 21 years. The action is still low and fast. I do need to replace some worn frets as I'm starting to get a buzz on the B string.

The neck is dead on when I placed a straight edge on it not long ago...it was flush w/ the top of the bridge w/ no daylight.

Great tone and well made.

There is a dating system that is coded into the serial number. See the linked website below:

http://yairiluvr.wordpress.com/2009/...r-dating-code/

Here are a couple videos showing a tour of the Yairi workshop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPRyLPouYZM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky56o9gBDR4

Last edited by architype; 08-22-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:49 PM

Yeah, that would be the native North American English speaker pronunciation...in Japan it sorta flows, no stopping ... over here it sounds like the first bit in...Yikes... Yeye...then ree...with a slight roll of the R, not as hard as in Spanish, anyways, there are Japanese people all over the place now, find one and ask them to say it. Are we havin` fun yet?
By the way, as I have written here before, I own several old Yairis but they are Sadao Yairi nylon strings, and they are outstanding and all are dated on the labels...either with Gregorian years on the blue labels or written in Japanese numbers on the washi labels. Up until recently I was seeing them for very little money but prices are on the way up though still very reasonable for great guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion