The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-19-2012, 06:26 AM

Default Anyone ever try a Neumann KMS 105 with a Soloamp SA220?

Just curious if anyone was able to make this work. I am interested in trying the 105. I have a strong breathy baritone voice and always wanted to try the KMS 105. My main rig is currently a Soloamp and a Heil PR35 which is great but I was always curious about the 105.

I have read the KMS 105 can have issues with feedback, sibilance, and pops/booms but all mics have their quirks.

The soloamp has a little different placement and projection than a PA but also usually firing towards the singer/mic so I am not sure if the 105 is specifically workable with the SA220.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Hi I do not own a 105 but have used one on several occasions . Overall it is an excellent stage condenser mic. I have not used one with my Solo Amp , however I do use an AKG Emotion 900 stage condenser which has similar characteristics, sensitivity, detail etc. In brief it works fine for most venues that are smaller and less noisy. I have had feedback however in a few places where I've had to ramp up the volume . Which I addressed by making sure I kept my head and chest between the mic and the Solo.

I have no experience at all with a Heil but in general a good condenser vs a dynamic is going to be somewhat more sensitive and detailed, especially in the upper mids and highs.

I would suggest if possible taking your Heil to a store with a 105 an make a direct shoot out comparison. Keeping levels the same.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Agree w/ Kev

Aloha Shawn,

I agree with what Kev said:

"I would suggest if possible taking your Heil to a store with a 105
and make a direct shoot out comparison. Keeping levels the same."

I owned & used a Neumann KMS105 for many years. My voice really liked it & I used it mainly for larger venue gigs. The KMS 105 is among the best live vocal mic's in every sense & works on many voices. The Shure KSM 9 is another great one.

As I have for over 30 years, my voice chose the AKG 535 ($150 used) cardioid condenser for small to medium sized gig. Love that one & it sounds great on acoustic guitar too.

But as you know Shawn, you cannot always use a vocal condenser mic in the typical gigger's venue. That's why....

I've owned a Heil PR 35 for the last three years. Because it is the best live dynamic vocal mic I have ever used, I use it indiscriminately with the 535 for my gigs. Detailed, clear, warm, accurate & works very well for solo gigs. My voice loves it. Less than half the price of a 105 too.

I also bring along an EV N/D 967 HYPER-cardioid mic to gigs for the absolute worst venue's. That's my feedback-buster. Decent sound too.

As Kev said, do your own A/B mic shoot out. Let your voice & ears make the final call, Shawn.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 04-19-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:37 PM

I have a KMS 105 and have not had any feedback problems with it using a pair of QSC speakers. It is by far the best sounding vocal mic I have ever used..highly recommended for a male voice. It is a very clear sounding mic but smooth and warm at the same time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification