The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-21-2012, 11:54 AM

Default Anthem ... are you still satisfied?

It's been my experience that I have to live with a pickup through quite a few gigs to really judge it's usefulness. Based on that assumption, I'd like to know if those who have used the Baggs Anthem for a while are still satisfied.

One reason I ask is that the demos on YouTube are all very different, which, of course, is to be expected since the guitars, sound chain and recordings are all different. They range from the ones on the Baggs website done in a recording studio by John Standefer to reviews by Doug Young, SoundPure and others. In general, which (if any) demo approximates what you are hearing with your Anthem?

Here are the best of the lot that I have heard:
SoundPureStudios
Doug Young's Review
Teja Gerken's demo
Richard Gilewitz live
Variety from the Baggs siteBaggs site

There are also several at the Baggs blog

I'm strongly considering installing an Anthem in two of my guitars, so thanks for the input.

RB

Last edited by rb1591; 03-21-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

I have had the Anthem SL installed in both my 6 and 12 string Mark Angus acoustic guitars, for about a year now. Prior to the Anthem, I had been using a Fishman "Acoustic Matrix Natural" UST w/ internal pre-amp. The signal chain is: Anthem > Bose L1 Classic, no additional pre-amp, straight into the "head" of the Bose.

I like the sound of them just fine; a very workable tone quality and quite simple, as I was wanting to avoid going the whole "dual source/pre-amp/eq/blender" route... I am pretty much a "plug in and play" type of guy! One thing is that the "blend" between the Tru Mic and the Element is CRITICAL to overall sound; be willing to take the time to get it the way you want it... the adjustment is a small set screw on the volume control module, which sits just inside the soundhole. This will "blend" the True-Mic (150hz and up) w/ the UST (180hz and lower).

I had a problem with the unit in my 6 string; I had it taken out and sent to Baggs, and they replaced the unit and got it back to me within a week! GREAT service from Brian and the rest of the folks at Baggs...

Now, my 6 string Angus (basically a Concert Jumbo shape/size w/ maple and spruce) is a VERY responsive instrument and I've played it for over 30 years. Installing the Anthem definitely changed the tonal response and volume of the guitar when played, unplugged. The 12 string is more heavily built and did not seem to "suffer" from the Anthem installation. Overall, the difference in volume is <5%, I'd say; the tonal response is 'flattened out", meaning that the overall "q" is more even; my 6 string is pretty juicy in the mids and the Anthem seems to have evened that, across the board.

Overall? If it's a guitar that you absolutely LOVE the way it sounds, unplugged, I wouldn't go for the Anthem, because it WILL change that a bit. If you really need a guitar that can be plugged in for performance, it's a solid system w/ great support from the company. DEFINITELY talk with Brian, the tech at Baggs, to decide which of the 2 systems will work best for your needs before you buy...

I have a newish Goodall Grand Concert and I love it, and I'm unwilling to change or alter the tone of the guitar, so I'm looking at the PW Mini for that... but I don't really play "out" all that much, and I have the Angus guitars should I want/need them...

No doubt that going the dual-source route would produce a better sound; as I said, with all the incumbent pre-amp, cabling and cost involved, the Anthem is a good "plug in and play" alternative.

Hope this helps! Oh, I play mostly solo acoustic guitar and voice, everything from Fats Waller and Leadbelly through Hendrix and the Beatles up to current tunes...

play on..........................................>

John Seth Sherman
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Me

I still like the Anthem SL I have installed in my all koa guitar. It replaced the DTAR Wavelength as my favorite pick up. I still like it a lot but I have moved on and now my favorite pick up is the PUTW dual source.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:45 PM

jseth and SteveS,
Thanks much for your insight. Either of you see a need for the full Anthem rather than the SL. As I understand it, the difference has to do with being able to determine the mic/UST X-over point. Important?

jseth, I'm use to dealing with a dual source system, but I would love to simplify. Maybe an anthem + ParaDI ... and call it a day. Anyway, I'm not sure more complex systems are much better for me. My favorite all-time system was an a mid-80s Tak run through an old Yamaha multi-effects for a touch of reverb ... not near perfect, but musical, responsive and simple. I allowed me to concentrate on playing rather than tweaking.

BTW, after I wore the frets off that guitar and it developed a slight neck twist, I told myself it wasn't worth a refret and repair. Anyway, I thought I needed something fancier. My mistake. I finally sold it for next to nothing.

RB
Old 03-21-2012, 07:10 PM

I've got the full blown Anthem in a hand built guitar. Best pickup I've had yet. I received several comments from other guitarists about how good my acoustic sounds thru the PA.

I run it into an LR Baggs Para-acoustic DI.

At some point when I have the budget, I'm going to replace the ES in my Taylor 810 with an Anthem.

Last edited by 815C; 03-21-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:31 PM

David,
Thanks for your comments. i visited your Guitar Planet. Very interesting site. Plan to explore more.

RB
Old 03-21-2012, 08:58 PM

I'm reading this thread with much interest. I ordered a Rainsong Jumbo with a unidirectional top. I ordered it without the factory Fishman system and had the Anthem SL installed. I won't take delivery on the Rainsong till early April. I've read a lot of reviews on the Anthem and it appears the change in tone from the ribbon UST is more a problem with smaller bodied guitars. As far as a preamp goes, I'm guessing the Baggs Para DI would be the best. What preamp are you using with the Anthem?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:29 AM

I was a very early adopter of the Anthem, and I'm still loving it. It's the best sounding (most like the actual guitar) plug-and-play solution that I've yet heard. No PU is perfect, and I've flirted with the idea of trying a stereo set up (Laurence Juber style: DTAR UST, Audix or similar like DPA mic) to gain more adjustment capability, but so far, I'm staying with the Amthem. When I plug into a great PA or my Bose, I almost never have to EQ much if at all, depending on the room. I highly recommend it.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

A brief update, of sorts...

I just picked up my Goodall GC from James' shop... I'm going to be moving away from the area and wanted James to "have a look" while I'm still local. While he was checking her out, he installed the K&K PW Mini in it...

Thus far, I have only heard the K&K through James PA at his shop (a Dawn 2 satellite/subwoofer arrangement), but I AM STUNNED by how nice the K&K sounds! I am so looking forward to running it through my Bose and really giving it the "once-over", but I have a gig tonite and am crunched for time right now...

Just run straight into the mixer, eq'd flat, the K&K sounded wonderful... I am certain that it will be quite workable through my Bose w/ the T1 mixer. No batteries, nothing under the saddle... I'm stoked at this point!

Oh, as far as the "full" Anthem vs. the SL? One thing is the control module is MUCH bigger with the full version; however, it will let you use JUST the UST, if higher volume levels preclude using the mic (for feedback issues)... and yes, the full version lets you "set" the crossover point for that event... I'm not going to be playing my acoustic with a loud band, so did not see the need...

John
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-23-2012, 11:57 AM

I've had the full Anthem installed in my Breedlove Revival OMM for a year now. I love the sound and simplicity. I like it so much that I just installed the Anthem SL in my Martin LJ and it sounds great in the Martin too.

I've owned and used at least 11 acoustic guitar pickups in the past and the Anthem is by far the one I like the most. I just plug straight into a A&H Zed 10Fx, EQ flat and send the output to a QSC K10. Fantastic sound and I can get real loud too.

Gordon
Old 03-23-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
A brief update, of sorts...

I just picked up my Goodall GC from James' shop... I'm going to be moving away from the area and wanted James to "have a look" while I'm still local. While he was checking her out, he installed the K&K PW Mini in it...

Thus far, I have only heard the K&K through James PA at his shop (a Dawn 2 satellite/subwoofer arrangement), but I AM STUNNED by how nice the K&K sounds! I am so looking forward to running it through my Bose and really giving it the "once-over", but I have a gig tonite and am crunched for time right now...

Just run straight into the mixer, eq'd flat, the K&K sounded wonderful... I am certain that it will be quite workable through my Bose w/ the T1 mixer. No batteries, nothing under the saddle... I'm stoked at this point!

Oh, as far as the "full" Anthem vs. the SL? One thing is the control module is MUCH bigger with the full version; however, it will let you use JUST the UST, if higher volume levels preclude using the mic (for feedback issues)... and yes, the full version lets you "set" the crossover point for that event... I'm not going to be playing my acoustic with a loud band, so did not see the need...

John
John,
Please report back with your thoughts on the K&K when you have a change to hear it through your Bose gear.
Thanks, RB
Old 03-23-2012, 07:21 PM

Still love the Anthem SL. Excellent sound and feedback rejection with very little fuss.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification