The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-19-2012, 10:36 AM

Default Dazzo. Which end is up?

So which side gets glued to the bridgeplate? One side is smooth and the other is slightly grooved. Or does it matter? If this information is in the instructions I just can't find it. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:29 PM

If it's like mine then one side is black and grooved, and the other is red yes? In that case the black grooved side gets glued to the bridge plate. It is a main active surface (though tapping elsewhere on the pickup will pickup sound).

Hope that helps

EDIT: BTW what model did you get i.e. 35, 45, 52 or a 60? And did you get it with the MiSi preamp attached or without a preamp?

2005 Lakewood D54 - Sunrise and Dazzos
2004 Taylor Big Baby - K&K Trinity
SR Technology Jam 400 + QSC K10
TC Electronic 2240
Kurzweil Rumour
(Digitech 2120 for electric duties at home)

Last edited by methodinsane; 03-19-2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Omitted a question
Old 03-20-2012, 06:23 AM

Thanks. I hadn't noticed the difference in color. But my red side is the grooved one. I assume that's the glued side.

I have a 52 with the MiSi attached. I'm really anxious to get it in.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:56 AM

I sure hope the instructions that come with the pickup (if there are any) are better than the ones on Teddy's site.

Be sure to let us know how the install went!

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 03-20-2012, 02:58 PM

Oh that's weird. One side should be Red and the other black with all 3 sides black. The black side (I glue the black) has, not grooves per se more like light ripples. He may have changed the casing.

http://www.dazzopickups.com/www.thed...s/DSCF0161.jpg Here's a pic from the install instructions. See he applies the glue to the black side, it's the flattest with ripples and sharp edges along the 3 sides. This side needs to be glued on.

Email him, he always gets back to me. In fact I emailed him yesterday and got a mail this morning. He has a new email address, pm me if you need it.

With regard to his instructions I found them to be fine but you may need to experiment without glue for practice sake. Moving them around dry on the raw wood will give you a clear indication of what positions sound better.

For 52s keep them away from the saddle for a thicker, less cutting sound. I've them around 2mm away from the saddle and some day this week I will be removing them and moving them further away from the saddle. The sound, while incredibly acoustic, is a little harsh. Also make you sure you try your best to get one Dazzo as centered opposite the B and the other as centered opposite the A as you can, even have them slightly closer to the G and D as my G and D strings are weaker in output than the outer strings. DOH!

Also when you do get it done could you comment on the output level and noise levels? Mine is a bit low and noisy. I keep wondering if it's the MiSi and not the pickups.

Thanks,

2005 Lakewood D54 - Sunrise and Dazzos
2004 Taylor Big Baby - K&K Trinity
SR Technology Jam 400 + QSC K10
TC Electronic 2240
Kurzweil Rumour
(Digitech 2120 for electric duties at home)
Old 03-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitom View Post
Thanks. I hadn't noticed the difference in color. But my red side is the grooved one. I assume that's the glued side.

I have a 52 with the MiSi attached. I'm really anxious to get it in.
Glue goes on the black side
Old 03-21-2012, 07:21 AM

Glue always the black side!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification