The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-13-2012, 10:14 PM

Question Can someone help me with bill lawrence pickup?

I am a guitar player who got two Stella guitars (one made in 50's with John Pearse strings and a 70's one with nylon strings.) and play blues most of the time.

I play a lot of Elmore James these days and I just love the tone of his DeArmond pickups!!! Problem: they are freakin' expensive these days...

So, as a substitute, I thought Bill Lawrence pickups would be good idea. (Seymour Duncan's Woody was my initial choice but figured out that my parlor guitar's sound hole is too small for the pickup)

But there are so many models: FT-145, A-300, A-400, A-245, A-345......

What pickup should I buy to get Elmore James sound?
Old 03-14-2012, 04:55 AM

I don't know which one will get you the sound you need, but I like the A-245 (volume knob) & A-345 (volume knob & adjustable poles) both are great general use pickups.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
I don't know which one will get you the sound you need, but I like the A-245 (volume knob) & A-345 (volume knob & adjustable poles) both are great general use pickups.
As chitz said. The DeArmond is a different animal than the modern offerings, so nailing the Elmore tone with a Lawrence may prove a bit difficult. Still, with either of the two recommended, you should be able to find a happy medium. Good luck!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:53 PM

So I guess, I just gotta buy A-345C... since it's the model with most "ornaments"
Old 03-14-2012, 08:09 PM

I would say, bite the bullet and get the deArmond, if you get the lawrence you will use it for awhile then decide that it dont sound quite right the replace with another, then finally you will get the DeArmond, and will have spent way more than if you had got it in the first place ( dont ask me how I know this...LOL )

Dave
Old 03-18-2012, 09:40 PM

From my experience from many years ago, the Lawrence sound hole pickups sounded OK with the old Ovation guitars and that's about it. I agree with others here that if the DeArmond sound you are seeking, then you should just get one and and be done with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
bill lawrence, dearmond, elmore james, pickup