The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-12-2012, 12:34 PM

Default amp cant handle transients?

I play my Martin OMCPA4 through a yamaha powered mixer. the EMX512SC. The Martin has the fishman analogg pickup system. when I hit achord or hard I get a slight delay. Its like the power amp cant handle the transient attack. No I dont have the delay effect on. I get a weird spikey sound with hard single notes too. Anyone else experience this? My action is pretty low and I am wondering if a bit of fret slap could cause it. I need to try it through a beefier power amp to see if it that has anything to do with it but I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar problems.
The Yamaha doesnt have pre gain so its difficult to discern if it is some kind of preamp distortion in the mixer
Old 03-12-2012, 01:06 PM

I would be very surprised if the amp can't handle the transients, unless you are playing at ear splitting levels. My first thought would be that the battery in your onboard preamp might be dying (or bad; I've had a new battery be bad before). You might try replacing it even if you've done that recently.

Plugging into another amp would be a good idea, mainly to rule out a problem with the onboard preamp/pickup system. You could also try a different input on the mixer, just to make sure you don't have a bad channel.

One last thought: have you tried a different cable? Bad cable's can cause lots of different issues.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighAndDry View Post
I play my Martin OMCPA4 through a yamaha powered mixer. the EMX512SC. The Martin has the fishman analogg pickup system. when I hit achord or hard I get a slight delay. Its like the power amp cant handle the transient attack. No I dont have the delay effect on. I get a weird spikey sound with hard single notes too. Anyone else experience this? My action is pretty low and I am wondering if a bit of fret slap could cause it. I need to try it through a beefier power amp to see if it that has anything to do with it but I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar problems.
The Yamaha doesnt have pre gain so its difficult to discern if it is some kind of preamp distortion in the mixer
Never mind. Bad reading skills. Is there a master volume control aside from the individual controls? If so I would lower the channel and raise the master.

HE
Old 03-12-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Never mind. Bad reading skills. Is there a master volume control aside from the individual controls? If so I would lower the channel and raise the master.

HE
I have experimented with that and not been able to get rid of it. Yes it would seem surprising if the amp couldnt handle it. I am using yamaha club speakers. 15 and a horn. I am going to try it later with QSC 2450 and my other mackie board
Thanks for input..And I will check battery
Old 03-12-2012, 11:09 PM

I am surprised no one has experienced anything like this
Old 03-12-2012, 11:47 PM

i would suspect the guitar before the amp.
have you conducted all of the above tests?
did you run a mic thru that pa channel to test it?
did you run the guitar thru a different amp, or, a different guitar thru the pa?

good luck
play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-13-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighAndDry View Post
You need to methodically troubleshoot this...

- try a different channel on the mixer
- different cable
- different instrument or mic in that channel
- I don't know what kind of pickup you have, but they usually need an outboard preamp, or a DI to match instrument output level and impedance to a line level input on a mixer. You can usually get away with not doing this, but not always...
- try it with the compression circuit on the channel OFF

Has your guitar sound ever been good while plugged into this mixer, or did this problem just mysteriously start one day?

You really have to try the guitar on another system, or another guitar on your system and compare...

Good luck with it.

j

Taylor 714ce
Old 03-13-2012, 03:41 PM

Thanks I still havent tried it through a different setup but will tonight.
I need to clarify. The guitar sounds great other than when I give it a strong attack. And I am wondering if somehow my low action is contributing. I have tried other channels, with and without compression, I also have tried different cables.
Thanks so much to everyone for your input

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification