The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2012, 11:38 AM

Default Montreal Icons

Steve Kirman, proprietor of Steve’s Music Store in Montreal, died March 6 following a brief illness at age 65.

Steve (he was never known as “Kirman” – few even knew his last name) opened the shop in 1965. At that time Montreal had other stores that sold musical instruments, but these sold mostly violins, pianos & wind instruments, plus a few classical guitars. Steve saw the potential in “guitar-based” folk and rock music, and his store carried acoustic and electric guitars, drums and all accessories. He also put the instruments out on the floor, where customers could handle them and play them at will, rather than keeping them behind glass or otherwise out of reach.

The store opened on St. Antoine Street in Old Montreal, in a block occupied chiefly by pawnshops. As the business expanded, it took over adjacent stores, and now occupies the entire block. There are also stores in Ottawa and Toronto.

I remember making the pilgrimage downtown to visit Steve’s in the 70s. For years it was the only place in town that had a decent selection of instruments & accessories. Musicians often hung out there, and you’d never know who you’d see.

The next generation is carrying on the business. RIP Steve.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...712/story.html

And in other Montreal news…..

Another iconic Montreal establishment is Schwartz’s delicatessen, on St. Laurent Blvd (not far north of Steve’s). Schwartz’s was established in the 1920s, and is the leading purveyor of smoked meat in a city that’s famous for this delicacy.

The family is no longer interested in running the restaurant, and the entire city has been holding its breath in fear that the place would close. Fortunately, a wealthy local benefactor has purchased the delicatessen and vowed to keep it running.

The new owner is Celine Dion (among others).
Old 03-08-2012, 11:54 AM

Very sad news indeed. I knew Steve, having shopped at his store since 1975, when his store was on Craig Street, long before the street name was changed.

RIP.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:00 PM

My wife was born and raised in Montreal, and I have visited Steve's several times over the past 20 years - as well as Shwartz's - as well as the Steve's in Ottawa.

RIP Steve. If there's a rock and roll heaven ...
Collings OM2H Custom
Old 03-09-2012, 06:07 PM

I bought all my guitars at Steve's. RIP....If any of you ever come to Montreal for a visit, you gotta stop at Steve's Music Store. As soon as you walk in there is such a "feel good" in there. The place is huge, yet feels warm...Its guitar heaven.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:11 AM

His legacy as starting a great music store is undisputed. When I started playing harmonica in 1973, I bought all of them at the Toronto store as they had the craziest selection, diatonic, chromatic, bass harps, and some of the more esoteric models made by Hohner. And, they had ALL of the keys. When I moved to western Canada in the 1980's, every time I'd come back to Toronto, I'd stock up on new harps.

Fast forward to the modern era and I'm living in Toronto again have long since taken up the guitar, I have come to realize that the Toronto store is not exactly in favour with most guitarists and other musicians in the area - in comparison to the Montreal store. It is unfortunate, but it really is like walking into a three ring circus, and if you have to deal with management regarding returns you better be ready to put up a fight. Unfortunately, about the only thing that I would buy there now would be strings, picks and harmonicas.

RIP Steve, and thanks for the memories.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion