The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2012, 10:39 AM

Default Guild GAD m-120 or Guild GAD F20 or Taylor GS mini Hog

I play mostly counrty,Delta fingerpickin blues and looking for a second guitar,
I am have been taking online lessons for the past 6 months and startng to get into differnt tunings so a second guitar well be handy to have.I have played
electric blues for years but around 6 months ago i went all acoustic,the guitar i am playing now is a Epiphone EL00 and i think its wonderful,after a pro setup
and quality medium strings it plays and sounds as good as any Gibson i have played.I want a guitar about the same size as my EL00,narrrow nut width,
short scale,soild top,with mahaogany sides and back,it dont have to be solid.
Been checking out the Guilds GAD M-120 and the GAD f20 and also the Taylor
GS mini Hog top.No shops near me has any to play so i will have to order online
from a big music store that has a good return policy.Which of the these guitars
do you think would work for me?Any other guitar do you think i should take a look at?I have the cash,just kinda of shy of pulling the trigger on something i have not the chance to play.Cheers,
James
Old 03-08-2012, 11:17 AM

I had a Guild GAD-M20 for a little over a year then I sold it. It was really nice and small but to my ears it also sounded tiny. It was very well made and I didn't have any problems with it.

The GAD-F20 would cut a little better in the mix than the GAD M-120 because of the spruce top. I was a little worried about the new GAD 100 series but the finish was up to par with the my old GAD-M20 and the new satin neck felt nice. I still preferred my old GAD-M20 (bone nut and saddles, Grover tuners, tort pickguard).

The Taylor I'm not as familiar with but I'm planning on buying one. I'm undecided on what top to get (Spruce vs Mahogany top, also there are going to be Spring Limited coming soon...) Even from clips on the internet I find the Taylor GS Mini's bigger sounding the Guild GAD M-120 and GAD-F20. I know the Taylor Big Baby sounds bigger than my old GAD-M20.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion