The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 PM

Default "Alternate" method for changing strings

Can someone point me to that video/instructional on changing strings by hand wrapping rather than turning the tuners?

Thanks
Old 02-22-2012, 10:09 PM

This may be what you're looking for, but I don't know why anyone would choose to do it this way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXn8s...eature=related
Old 02-22-2012, 11:06 PM

That video should be how not to restring a guitar. REALLY pliers on a bridge pin.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:22 AM

That dunderhead lost ALL credibility with me when he went after the bridge pins with the pliers. End of video as far as I'm concerned. He at least mentions using a string winder early in the video. Does he not know that the slot in the head of the string winder is for removing bridge pins? Without damaging the bridge pins or something else if the pliers slip. Geez! As Bugs Bunny would say, "What a maroon!"

You don't need a video to learn how to restring a guitar. You just need to learn it from someone who knows. It's the way did it and I've been restringing my own guitars since I was about 10 years old. Seriously. It's not rocket science. If a 10-year-old kid can learn it. . . .

After you've taken the strings off of the guitar, put the anchoring end of the new string in the proper hole for it. If it's a guitar that uses bridge pins, make sure the string and bridge pin are snug. Let's start with the 6th (bass) string. Measure the string up to the peg for the 5TH string taking out the slack. At the 5th string peg, put a 90-degree bend in the string. Now put the string in the 6th string peg, using the bend to help anchor the string. Use your string winder to take up the slack. Do this for the rest of the strings (you measure the 5th string to the 4th string post, the 1st string you measure the the 2nd string post, the 2nd string you measure to the 3rd string post). Pretty simple, isn't it? Hint: Strings 3 and 4 might be a little tricky, but you should be able to figure it out after you've done the other four. After the strings are on, get it in tune.

If you do this right, you'll have three to five perfect wraps around the post (what most experts recommend) of each string (depending on the string gauge) and the strings won't slip. No fancy string locking procedure or guesswork involved. And it works for just about every steel string guitar I've ever restrung. You can replace the strings one at a time or take them all off at once and do it like that. I've done it both ways with no problem either way. It's just a matter of personal preference.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:45 AM

As long as you don't do this you should be OK:

Old 02-23-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombras View Post
As long as you don't do this you should be OK:

Why!!! This just distributes the tension on the headstock..
Old 02-23-2012, 09:58 AM

There are many way to skin a cat when it comes to restringing guitars, but I must admit, that's the weirdest example of how to change strings that I have ever seen. I sure wouldn't recommend it for many reasons. I went to "The Taylor Method" years ago and find it the quickest and most efficient for me.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:08 PM

I have changed a ton of strings and done different methods. Over first, under rest, under all, etc., etc. I have been using the Taylor method for the last couple years, but I remember this video of a guy changing it by handwrapping which intrigued me. I like the idea, because no matter how many times I have changed strings, I always get nervous of scratching the headstock with the end of the string. This way seemed less likely to do that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion