The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 AM

Default TruPlug - how to replace Taylor ES system

About a year ago I developed a problem with the ES system (original AA) on my Taylor 414. After having a replacement tail unit sent and doing everything I could it was determined that it needed to go in to Taylor for some more serious work. Only problem - Taylor has yet to expand to anywhere close enough to Istanbul to make it worth my while.

So I took the opportunity to do something I'd always wanted to do - try out another pickup. After researching I really wanted to put the K&K pure western in. I'd played a couple of guitars with it and loved the sound, so why not. Of course, as with anyone who has tried to replace the ES system the problem is the footprint left in and around the pin in the tail.

Several months ago I posted on here and was contacted by Butch Boswell, a California luthier who was developing a product called the TruPlug to solve just this problem. Though not in full production yet, he said he'd be happy to sell one to me. Great! Not wanting to ship stuff through customs I waited for a visitor to haul it over and I received the TruPlug and the pickup before Christmas and installed it New Years Day.

For any and all interested, I documented the process - it was so beautifully simple.

First ripped out the old system including tail piece, control knobs/circuit board and body sensors.

While I'm at it, do a bit of adjustment to the saddle that was needed...

Installing the new pickup (used directions that came with it...very simple)

Maybe a little heavy with the glue, but perfectly aligned

The adapter for the ES tail unit. This thing is very well built, lightweight but very sturdy aluminum and fit perfectly...Just slide the plug through the hole and adjust the width on the pickup sleeve with the nuts/washers

Remove the adhesive backing

In she goes

Replace using the screws from the ES

Also provided is a piece to cover the holes left by ES control knobs

And there she is!

Total time including removal of ES, saddle adjustment and installation is a bit over 1 hour. If anyone is looking for a simple way to replace their ES that is not a cheap fix, I highly recommend contacting Butch. He is a great guy, fast communication and shipping. Thanks a million, Butch!

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 01-09-2012, 09:11 AM

Thanks for posting. Threads like this are great for the AGF community at large.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 01-09-2012, 09:36 AM

Excellent. Thanks for taking the time to do this, and to document your work with good photos.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:09 AM

Very cool, and nice work! How does she sound?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:47 AM

Man it sounds great. I was never unhappy at all with the sound the ES produced, but the K&K is just so smooth...a bit less bright. Anyone questioning their system or needing to replace it I'd recommend this in a heartbeat; not to mention at 25% of the price of replacing the ES system it's a great deal.

I'll probably not change out the ES on my other Taylor just to have variety and the ES does well in loud stage situations but I'm very happy to have chosen to put the K&K in my build with the Burners.

I also added a K&K classic to my Classical guitar before Christmas which sounds great.

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 01-09-2012, 01:04 PM

This is great. I went through the trouble of hand-making all these pieces for my 114 a while ago, and I would've preferred to simply buy such a kit.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:12 PM

Did you remove the ES transducers sans neck pup? How much better does it sound? I wonder if the newest K and K could use the three holes for transducers vol controls? I curently have K and K mini's in two guitars and really like them. My Taylor has the ES system with the 9 volt batt. It realy sounds good to me but I'm open to new ideas.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitner View Post
Did you remove the ES transducers sans neck pup? How much better does it sound? I wonder if the newest K and K could use the three holes for transducers vol controls? I curently have K and K mini's in two guitars and really like them. My Taylor has the ES system with the 9 volt batt. It realy sounds good to me but I'm open to new ideas.
I ripped out anything metal - luckily my hands couldn't get a grip on the truss rod

But yes, I did remove every component of the ES system, even from the underside of the neck which was a bear to get at.

I haven't A/B'd my two Taylors yet (716 has the 9 volt system, though not newest one) but since tone is so subjective I doubt I'll be too worried. I liked the ES a lot, so far I love the K&K personally but had my ES not gone flat I probably would not have replaced it.

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 01-15-2012, 04:03 PM

If you don't mind...

- How does the tailpiece cover come off so you can remove the screws?

- How do you remove the volume and tone pot nuts?

Taylor GS8
Godin A6 Ultra
Old 01-15-2012, 04:15 PM

The tailpiece is easy to remove. If you open the battery compartment you can stick something small (I used a flat head eyeglass screwdriver) and it is just a plastic piece with some adhesive. Once you pull that off you expose 4 small philips head screws. Take those out and the whole unit comes out and you unhook the cable at the back.

For the volume knobs they just pull right off. The pots are connected to the circuit board which, if I recall, was just glued to the side so some gentle flexing it came off. Now this being the part of the process I spent the least amount of time educating myself on (I really just stuck my hand in and started feeling around) please look before you take my word. I'd hate for you to end up with a hole in the side because I couldn't remember!

Anyhow, what I do remember is that except for removing the neck sensor, which I really didn't have to do, it was very, very simple.

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r

Last edited by jeastman; 01-15-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:23 PM

One step regarding the pots - I recall the sleeve being threaded once I took the knobs off. I was able to remove them just with my thumb pressing and turning.

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 01-15-2012, 04:30 PM

Thanks! I'm not interested in removing the system permanently (yet), I just wanted to know for repair purposes.

Taylor GS8
Godin A6 Ultra
Old 09-06-2012, 09:07 PM

Thanks for posting. Just ordered a TruPlug kit.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

I'm all for replacing the ES in a Taylor but those open holes would make me sick every time I looked at them. I like the MiSi solution that replaces the ES pre-amp with it's own so that you still have on-board volume and tone controls.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe white View Post
I'm all for replacing the ES in a Taylor but those open holes would make me sick every time I looked at them. I like the MiSi solution that replaces the ES pre-amp with it's own so that you still have on-board volume and tone controls.
The holes are not left open. A piece is included in the kit to plug the holes.

The Mi-Si Align XT is interesting, and a nice drop in solution, but doesn't allow you to try other pre-amps.

I'm glad there are a couple of options to choose from though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair