The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-07-2003, 11:56 PM

Default going to buy 312ce or 412ce ES for wife / flat wound daddario exlights? ?

She plays 6 nights a week down here in key west. A friend of mine who is a great guitar player in hollywood fla. is going to look at some for me, he says there are some special ones with high gloss. I know nothing and my wife was a drummer i made her learn guitar she is self taught. She plays without a pick. She plays with the flat wounds to avoid that zip on 4 or 5 songs she does. She has been playing an ovation. I bought her a rainsong but it was to big for her. Then tried a line 6 variax but she had never played an electric guitar. So when she started to play it live at work even i could tell it wasnt right. Plus she kept hitting the selector switch. She works 6 nights a week so i cant ask her to practice she wouldnt any way. So i might be driving the 350mi roundtrip on our only day off to pick up one of these taylors. She plays sloppy joes this wed from noon to 4 you can watch and listen to the show at sloppyjoes.com she could well be playing one of the taylors with flat wounds. Are there other types of flat wounds? does anybody use them? Should she be using the extra lights? I made her play guitar now i have to be a soundman guitar tech. My previous life experience as a carpenter, auto restorer hasnt helped me to much. Down here there only seems to be burnt out musicians who only know their own equipment. So all i have is this computer. This small bodied taylor with the ES seems to be what ive been looking for i have been reading all the archived posts for the last 3 days . Thanks for being here.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:57 AM

Either guitar should be fine-would use elixir nanowebs lights not flat wounds on an X12 acoustic; available at most music stores. Flat wounds are used primarily for electric jazz guitars, to get that Wes Montgomery sound -where you want a lot of bass smoothness and very little highs and want to negate overtones- which makes the acoustic sound of Taylors so special. Elixirs are coated strings so the squeak is less present than normal acoustic strings. Elixir polywebs are even more coated than nanowebs and have less highs so they may be more to her liking. I don't know anyone who uses flatwounds on an acoustic-they're better on an archtop hollow body jazz guitar.

Gardner

Last edited by JGG; 06-08-2003 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:20 AM

thanks i will have her try some . We will try anything. Lights or extralights?
Old 06-08-2003, 11:04 AM

Only a very few 4XXCEs are Rosewood, glossy and have the ES system. It is a "special" right now and a terrific value IMO.

If you can't find one right now, Taylor will be making more in August I think, and you can probably order one.

Check out this link for more info:

http://www.edg.cc/taylor/summer-ltds.htm

Similarly, if you prefer Imbuia or Koa, you can get a Gloss Taylor ES for a whole lot less than their higher-priced bretheren during this "special."

If you actually find one it will come with Elixir Nanoweb Lights on it. Try those and go from there.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:32 AM

I assume your wife plays mainly "plugged in" . . .

I find the D'Addario "Flattops" rob a lot of tone, especially bass, from the guitar. If ONLY plugged in, OK. Otherwise, try either the the Elixers: Nanowebs - my preference, a little more tone and squeak, brigheter or the Polywebs. She'll probably like the Polywebs, slicker and less bright (unplugged).

Any X12 you can get will make her and her audience a happy camper for sure!

Good luck!
714ce
814c (Florentine cutaway, tobacco sunburst)
Big Baby
Larrivée L-05
Gibson J-55
Gibson S.J.
Guild D-55
Seagull Grand Artist (Rosewood Parlor)
Gold Tone PBR (maple deluxe resonator)
Regal RC-51 (tri-cone)
Fender F-48 (metal body resonator)
Cort Earth 900
A&L AMI
Ariana Classical
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Harmony archtop

Les Paul Custom
Fender Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion