The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-08-2011, 10:57 AM

Default Opinions on Huss and Dalton?

What are your general thoughts about these guitars? How do you think they compare, in terms of reputation, to Collings, Bourgeois and Santa Cruz?
Old 11-08-2011, 11:09 AM

Not meaning to be unkind but if I were to spend $3k or more on a new guitar (and I have), I'd buy the one that I like. If you don't know which one you prefer, you need to find out before shelling out that kind of money. I have heard that they are the most vintage Martin-like for the least amount of money.
I don't know as I have never been within 100 miles of one. You need to find out for yourself. Chances are, you will like any small builders guitar that sells for that much money. Most people do.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:12 AM

I have both an H&D and Collings. I think reputation wise Collings has more of a reputation.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:17 AM

I have owned 4 Huss & Daltons and still own two. I think that, along with Webbers, the Huss & Daltons are the best values in the used guitar market. They are simply elegant and awesome guitars - impeccable build, sweet sweet tone, comfortable necks - everything that I want in a guitar. My TOM-R is the best OM that I have ever played and just makes the music flow. My DR-H is a do-it-all dread and, IMO, the best looking dread made.

I have GAS for a H&D TD-M - they are the quintessential bluegrass/celtic rhythm guitars and blow away all other hog and spruce dreads... IMHO of course.

The Huss & Daltons definitely have their own tone. I find that they are a bit more lush and full than similar offerings from Bourgeois, SCGC, and Collings. They keep the classic Martin bass response but have less of a mid-range scoop than Martins and have more overtones than similar Martins. They have nice fat trebles. Nicely balanced and LOUD!

Very highly recommended!

Scott

Last edited by smpetty; 11-08-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt20dbl View Post
Not meaning to be unkind but if I were to spend $3k or more on a new guitar (and I have), I'd buy the one that I like. If you don't know which one you prefer, you need to find out before shelling out that kind of money. I have heard that they are the most vintage Martin-like for the least amount of money.
I don't know as I have never been within 100 miles of one. You need to find out for yourself. Chances are, you will like any small builders guitar that sells for that much money. Most people do.
Thanks for posting. I've never been within 100 miles of one either...
Old 11-08-2011, 11:31 AM

Well, if you compare to Collings or a SC, H&D does not have as much reputation. But that does not translate into a bad reputation, they simply don't have as much of a history. It's a newer company in comparison. I owned 1 H&D guitar, 2 Bourgeois and 3 SC and played dozens more. In my opinion quality wise, they are on the same level. Out of three SC would be my favorite, but it's purely based on the what sound you like. H&D is definitely on the par with other brands mentioned.

However due to a fact that they have not been around as long, you may be able to score a very good deal on the used one. Their resale value seems to be a bit lower than Collings or SC and that gives you an advantage on the used market.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 AM

NAFIGATOR said exactly what I was thinking..."if you compare to Collings or a SC, H&D does not have as much reputation. But that does not translate into a bad reputation, they simply don't have as much of a history."
Old 11-08-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt20dbl View Post
I don't know as I have never been within 100 miles of one.
Who has? That's the problem in the US - the disappearance of smaller boutique-style stores means that the closest most of us will come to a guitar such as H & D is to take a wild risk with an online company that has a generous return policy.

Now if it's a D-28 you're after ...
Old 11-08-2011, 11:51 AM

Thanks everyone for posting. This is pretty much what I expected. Some of these guitars look so well built and cold that I'm afraid of ending up with another Taylor in my hands (no ill intended, I own one).

And I'm actually looking to buy their 12-string CM or one of their fingerstyle models. I'm a bit conservative and would stick with Martin for dreadnoughts.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Who has? That's the problem in the US - the disappearance of smaller boutique-style stores means that the closest most of us will come to a guitar such as H & D is to take a wild risk with an online company that has a generous return policy.

Now if it's a D-28 you're after ...
Now, imagine Canada...
Old 11-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNewbie View Post
Thanks for posting. I've never been within 100 miles of one either...
I live 15 miles from the factory and feel tingly all over....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-08-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
I live 15 miles from the factory and feel tingly all over....
That's called shingles. It has nothing to do with guitar accessibility.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:23 PM

own a charles hoffman j, martin hd-28-2r, bto taylor ga and jumbo 12 string, cole-clark fl3ac and a huss and dalton custom ds 12 fret. Of this group the huss and dalton is my favorite. like it so much have a custom 00-sp on order. they make an outstanding guitar. took the shop tour last month and was amazed at the level of workmanship that was evident.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:39 PM

H&D is right there with Collings/Bourgeois/SCGC and higher end Martins in my book. They all have their own "sound" and it depends on what please you, but yes they are excellent guitars, just not as well known (that does impact resale somewhat), happy shopping!!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-08-2011, 12:50 PM

No intent to be offensive here, but why consider reputation? Obviously H&D makes fine guitars, but the proof of course for you (or any of us) would be in the playing and listening.

So, find one and do so...

Ray

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion