The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-18-2011, 06:27 AM

Default (Andy Mckee) For My Father "cover" - feedback needed!

Hi everyone! I recently uploaded a new Andy Mckee cover, a song called "For My Father". The song is very beautiful, and calm, and it's played in ECDGAD tuning.

Please write a comment or something, give me some feedback

Don't forget to Subscribe to my channel if you like my music!
The more subscribers I get, the more songs I will compose!

Thank you very much!

- Chris

Link to "For My Father (cover)":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No-XXzOtVvQ

PS. I'm going to record my debut album in February 2012, I hope some of you would like to buy it maybe! If you "like" my facebook page, then you'll know when it's released!

Link to facebook fan-page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Christ...12936235459762

~ Never Give Up, There's Always Hope ~
Old 10-18-2011, 07:54 AM

Hi Chris, Very nice song. You certainly have a great start to a difficult song. Maybe it needs a little refinement in transitions. WOW you undertook a project with this song. I liked Andy McKee and think his style is all his own. Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed it.

Hoffman L-00 w JJB
Kronbauer TDK w K&K
Martin OM-35 w K&K
Gibsons: J-150 w Fishman, CL-35 w JJB, Hummingbird w JJB, Les Paul Custom
Crafter TM-035 w JJB
Recording King ROS-647 w JJB
Voyage-Air OM-04, Washburn Red Rocker
Amps: Crate 2x12, Peaveys, LoudBox Artist
Pickups: JJB & K&K Mini
Callaway Big Bertha Clubs
Old 10-18-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbyguy View Post
Hi Chris, Very nice song. You certainly have a great start to a difficult song. Maybe it needs a little refinement in transitions. WOW you undertook a project with this song. I liked Andy McKee and think his style is all his own. Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed it.
Thank you very much

Old 10-18-2011, 04:24 PM

Needs a bit of work but it's sounding good and for your age you're doing great!
Well done, it's a beautiful song and I enjoyed it.

Steve

Website
|
Downloads | Youtube | Soundcloud
Guitars : Yairi CY118 │ Maton M225 │ Taylor GC11
Recording│Sony SX712Sound Forge | Sony Vegas
Old 10-18-2011, 05:50 PM

Chris, that a great start to one of my McKee fav's. You really have a nice touch with the right hand.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double G View Post
Chris, that a great start to one of my McKee fav's. You really have a nice touch with the right hand.
thank you

Old 10-19-2011, 07:58 AM

Great job, Man! I'm subscribing to your Youtube Channel! I sure like seeing younger people (im not old, 36), playing this style. You younger people have had such and advatage over me than when I started. Fingerstyle was kind of dead, other than the Top names, but you had to see them live to get an idea of whats goin on. Now, you have YouTube access to all kinds of other players, internet lessons ect.... Advise on picking, nails, all kinds of stuff that I had to learn on my own without help. Yea, no fingerstyle players where I live! Keep it up!!!

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫

Last edited by Fngrstyl; 10-19-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:11 PM

Great job man. That was nice!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fngrstyl View Post
Great job, Man! I'm subscribing to your Youtube Channel! I sure like seeing younger people (im not old, 36), playing this style. You younger people have had such and advatage over me than when I started. Fingerstyle was kind of dead, other than the Top names, but you had to see them live to get an idea of whats goin on. Now, you have YouTube access to all kinds of other players, internet lessons ect.... Advise on picking, nails, all kinds of stuff that I had to learn on my own without help. Yea, no fingerstyle players where I live! Keep it up!!!
Thank you very much! All your comments on youtube are really appreciated!
Yeah, internett, youtube etc...helps a lot! Sungha Jung wouldn't been that famous if it wasn't for youtube! :-) It's great that so many young players begin with fingerstyle now... It's important for the future, when all the legends stops playing!

Old 10-19-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickpat View Post
Great job man. That was nice!
thank you!

Old 10-19-2011, 04:37 PM

This is a good effort. However, you're losing the meter of this song quite regularly throughout the recording. The song itself has challenging timing (I know it well), but there are segments where you're adding or losing as much as 1-1.5 beats.

I say this as constructive criticism and do not in any way mean to offend you or your playing. It just sounds like this one needs some more rehearsal at a slow pace before putting it all together for a recording.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
This is a good effort. However, you're losing the meter of this song quite regularly throughout the recording. The song itself has challenging timing (I know it well), but there are segments where you're adding or losing as much as 1-1.5 beats.

I say this as constructive criticism and do not in any way mean to offend you or your playing. It just sounds like this one needs some more rehearsal at a slow pace before putting it all together for a recording.
Yeah, I know that I have some trouble with the "timing", (I'm not good to "time" everything right) I just try to play the song as nice as I can, and try to get the timing as good as I can, but it's difficult! Thanks for some constructive criticism.
I think I have to practice with metronome, that would help I guess.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbrandsborg View Post
Yeah, I know that I have some trouble with the "timing", (I'm not good to "time" everything right) I just try to play the song as nice as I can, and try to get the timing as good as I can, but it's difficult! Thanks for some constructive criticism.
I think I have to practice with metronome, that would help I guess.
Try listening to the original and tapping your finger to the beat. The time signature in this song changes between 4/4 and 3/4 (more likely 6/8 now that I think about it), and the tempo changes between sections as well. It's important to get a good feel for this in order to polish your performance. You'll probably find it a lot easier to play if you've listened to the song 10 or 20 times while mapping out the time signature and tempo in your head by tapping along.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
Try listening to the original and tapping your finger to the beat. The time signature in this song changes between 4/4 and 3/4 (more likely 6/8 now that I think about it), and the tempo changes between sections as well. It's important to get a good feel for this in order to polish your performance. You'll probably find it a lot easier to play if you've listened to the song 10 or 20 times while mapping out the time signature and tempo in your head by tapping along.
Thank you for the tips! I'm doing that on my next cover, which I will record and upload tonight, or tomorrow! "Canon" by Trace Bundy.
Everytime I play the song, I have the "original" track playing in the meantime. That help me get the timing better! :-) Hopefully, the result will be pretty good, but "Canon" is a very hard song, you've heard it? I'm gonna post my cover on AGF when it's uploaded

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell