The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-10-2011, 12:39 PM

Default ES Question

I am interested in getting a 816ce 2011. The only concern I have is that I noticed that Taylor is selling extra fuses on the website. They state that the fuse will blow due to a surge. Should I be concerned about this? I do not want to keep shipping guitar back to Taylor because of blow fuses. I really want to buy this guitar. Please put my mind at ease.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguemahone View Post
I am interested in getting a 816ce 2011. The only concern I have is that I noticed that Taylor is selling extra fuses on the website. They state that the fuse will blow due to a surge. Should I be concerned about this? I do not want to keep shipping guitar back to Taylor because of blow fuses. I really want to buy this guitar. Please put my mind at ease.
You don't need to be worried about surges.

If a fuse does blow, do you need to have it replaced by a tech? I wasn't aware of that.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:53 PM

Haven't needed to replace a fuse with the 2007 ES, or the 2010 ES, but I'm glad the fuse is there to protect the pre-amp. Would rather replace a fuse than a pre-amp!
1905 Steinway 7ft. Grand, Model B (the wife's)
2008 Epi BB King Lucille/Vox AD50VT
I miss my: (purchased new)
1973 Takamine F360S (Martin lawsuit special) and
1977 Takamine F400S 12 string
Old 07-10-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
Haven't needed to replace a fuse with the 2007 ES, or the 2010 ES, but I'm glad the fuse is there to protect the pre-amp. Would rather replace a fuse than a pre-amp!
I didn't even realize the 2007 ES had a fuse. I have a 2007 314ce. Anyway, since I'm not plugging in I guess it's irrelevant to me (until I do, that is).
Old 07-10-2011, 01:18 PM

the fuse is a fused string ground not a protection for the preamp. incase you play at a venue with improper grounds it will not make YOU the ground( blue spark from mic sindrome) when it blows it will still play just may have some noise. The user can replace the fuse.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

I'm thinking the fuse is replaceable by the guitar's owner, otherwise Taylor wouldn't make them available to their customers. I've never had a Taylor blow a fuse so I don't know how difficult it would be to replace one. I'm also thinking that blowing a fuse in a Taylor ES-equipped guitar is a rare occurrence.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 07-10-2011, 01:26 PM

Yea, this is a serious safety feature for guys playing out, definitely a plus.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:28 AM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I'm thinking the fuse is replaceable by the guitar's owner, otherwise Taylor wouldn't make them available to their customers. I've never had a Taylor blow a fuse so I don't know how difficult it would be to replace one. I'm also thinking that blowing a fuse in a Taylor ES-equipped guitar is a rare occurrence.

Regards,

SpruceTop
This is my thinking/understanding as well. No need to send the guitar anywhere to swap the fuse out. Should be a simple procedure.

I've yet to blow a fuse on my Taylor after 2+ years of regular use.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 07-11-2011, 07:02 AM

Our antiquated PA system blew my fuse last year. It's a 5 minute job to replace it. Pull out the section that holds the battery, remove two phillips screws, slide the battery compartment out enough to see the fuse, pull the old one out, stick the new one in, slide the battery compartment back in, put the screws back in, put the battery holder back in. If it takes the whole 5 minutes, you're slow!

My symptom when the fuse blew was a 60cycle buzz.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguemahone View Post
The fuse is there to protect the player; it is a safety feature. I would be concerned if Taylor didn't sell replacement fuses. Lack of replacement parts is generally seen as a drawback not a benefit.

Should it ever blow, it is user or local technician replaceable but one always has the option of bypassing the fuse rather than incurring the cost of replacing it.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:22 AM

Thanks guys!! Looking forward to the guitar. Should have it in a week or two.

Tim
Old 07-11-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Should it ever blow, it is user or local technician replaceable but one always has the option of bypassing the fuse rather than incurring the cost of replacing it.
Yup. While I was waiting for my fuses to come in, I used a straight piece of very small wire to replace it. I used that for a week and did not get electrocuted!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
The fuse is there to protect the player; it is a safety feature. I would be concerned if Taylor didn't sell replacement fuses. Lack of replacement parts is generally seen as a drawback not a benefit.

I beg to differ; IMHO the fuse is there to protect the player's ears from GROUND HUM... it was implemented in an attempt to fix an ongoing grounding issue with the ES. "Protecting the player" is nice Marketing Speak, though... I'm no electrician but a 10mA fuse isn't gonna keep you from lighting up like a Christmas tree if you accidentally plug into a really poorly grounded system. And that's more likely to happen in countries where they run straight 230+v DC (like in Europe) rather than AC like we use over this side of the pond.

Taylor states on their website that should the fuse blow, the pickup system will continue to function, however most likely with ground hum. Of course if a player had actually been harmed by excess voltage when playing, he probably wouldn't be around to plug in again. But that's just my opinion... perhaps an electrical expert will weigh in.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:00 AM

I used to have ground noise issues with my brand new Jumbo BTO so I asked my tech to "jump" the ES fuse. Now It works fine with lot less ground noise.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:33 PM

Back in the early 70's before grounded wall outlets were common, I never knew if my amp was the same polarity as our pa. I left one guitar string longer than the others at the tuning peg, and used to drag it across my microphone wind screen. If I got a spark, I knew the polarity was wrong, and flipped the polarity switch on my amp. It saved me more than a few times from having numb lips or worse.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion