The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-09-2011, 07:51 PM

Default Seagull S6 Mahogany Spruce v. Larrivee OM-02?

I own an older Seagull S6 Mahogany Spruce. Solid mahogany back with laminate mahogany sides. I love this guitar but...

I've been GASSING for a Larrivee OM-03 for about a year. Well an older OM-02 is available and I plan to look at it this week. It is also spruce and mahogany.

Can I expect these guitars to sound (very) similar? I don't want to duplicate what I have. I am primarily a strummer but do like the wider nut of both the Seagull and the Larrivee.

I know ALL the specifications of both just asking for opinions on tonal considerations.
Thanks.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naolslager View Post
I own an older Seagull S6 Mahogany Spruce. Solid mahogany back with laminate mahogany sides. I love this guitar but...

I've been GASSING for a Larrivee OM-03 for about a year. Well an older OM-02 is available and I plan to look at it this week. It is also spruce and mahogany.

Can I expect these guitars to sound (very) similar?
I would be shocked if they sounded similar. There's a lot more to the sound than just the types of wood. I am also lusting after an OM-size Larrivee but haven't been able to find out to play yet and I hate to plunk down $$ without a clue as to how it's going to sound. (Although I did this with my Gibson Gospel reissue and was not disappointed.)
Old 07-10-2011, 07:59 AM

The Seagull S6 is a great entry level guitar. Of the two, I'd choose the Larrivee OM-02 or OM-03. They're more expensive; however, I think they're also a step up the chain.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
The Seagull S6 is a great entry level guitar. Of the two, I'd choose the Larrivee OM-02 or OM-03. They're more expensive; however, I think they're also a step up the chain.
Big differences but you need to make that choice yourself. Personally I prefer the 05's & up, not just for the bling and finish (although the gloss makes them look pro grade, and although the satin sounds ok they just don't appear to be finished to me.) I must have glossy ears because I prefer the sound of the upper end too.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065

Last edited by Michael T; 07-10-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:35 AM

I have a lot of respect for Seagull -they put out a great guitar for the money- but larrivee does mahogany well - its a tough call in my book- im a big believer of playing a guitar before buying if you can - i know sometimes its not possible -
Old 07-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

If your financial situation permits it, why don't you buy the Larrivee and just own two guitars for awhile? You can always call one your travel/beater guitar and the other your never-leaves-the-house instrument. Or, if you become disenchanted with one or the other, you can always recoup most of your investment by selling it.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:07 PM

Dogberry,
I will likely buy the Larrivee and see what happens.
DJ
Old 07-10-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Dogberry,
I will likely buy the Larrivee and see what happens.
DJ
When you do buy it, create a new thread, add a review, and add some pics! We're all interested.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:55 PM

Default Couldn't do it

Sorry no review or shoot-out between the Seagull and the Larrivee. For some reason I couldn't commit to the Larrivee. The Seagull has since been sold. Big mistake! I just bought another to replace it as it was a fantastic guitar. The current one is not new and a little dinged up but I love it. Don't let me sell this one.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:12 PM

I think the OM-02 has a smaller nut width than the OM-03. I can't promise that but I think that was one of the reasons I did not buy one that popped up locally a while back.

Edit - Specs from elderly.com - 15-1/4" lower bout, 3-9/16" to 4-1/4" body depth, natural satin finish, spruce top, mahogany back and sides, 14 fret mahogany neck, 20 fret ebony fingerboard with micro-dot inlays, ebony bridge, ebony peghead overlay with ivoroid "Larrivee" logo, chrome tuners, clear pickguard, black-bound body and fretboard, 25-5/8" scale, 1-11/16" nut width, built in Canada, with black flat lid Martin HSC
Old 07-29-2012, 08:42 PM

Nice. Your thread answered a question I had. Having limited knowledge, I did not know the M6 came this way, mahogany solid back with lam sides. I saw one on C/L. I have seen some great deals lately on Portland C/L for various S6 models.

KEEP THIS ONE!!!!!

Jerry

Last edited by JCave; 07-30-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Well an older OM-02 is available
Thanks.
How old? The original ones had 1 11/16" necks like the original -03's. Larrivee didn't change to the current 1 3/4" neck until the mid to early 2000's.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 07-30-2012, 04:38 AM

I made that move from Seagull S-6 original to a Larrivee OM-03 (MT edition - all mahogany). All I can say is Wow! The mahogany sound and the sheer comfort of the smaller body were exactly what I wanted. My Seagull is now moved to my office for lunchtime practice, so she doesn't get too neglected, but the OM will likely be my partner for life!

"Remember when the music came from wooden boxes strung with silver wire"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion