The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Default David Taylor (DT Guitars) Parlor Guitar Review

After following Jonathan’s, aka jonathanvaljean, DT Guitar build thread in the custom shop I wanted to post some thoughts on my DT Parlor guitar.

David’s website is – www.dtguitars.com

A brief history – I met David a few years ago at Tony Vines home/shop. I’m the proud owner of a wonderful parlor, which calls his Colorado Model, guitar Tony made for me. While visiting once David came over and brought a couple of his wonderful guitars to show Tony and me. David was an apprentice of sorts under Tony, which you can probably see by their visual design sense. I was extremely impressed with the guitars that David was building and we became friends. Since then I did a couple mini concerts for David at both the 2008 and 2010 Newport Guitar Shows in FL. His guitars generated quite a buzz there (He sold every guitar he brought down to both shows…) as he sold one to Muriel Anderson, Peter Farber and since then Tommy Emmanuel.

Fast forward – I’m the proud owner of one of his parlor guitars. It's wasn't built for me, but rather a dealer that went out of business. The guitar has a Port Orford Cedar top and Bees Wing Mahogany back and sides. It also has a multiple piece neck of mahogany and maple, ebony fretboard and bridge, Honduran Rosewood faceplate and rosette, Amazon rosewood purfling, Gotoh 510 tuners and Giraffe bone nut and saddle. It also has a wonderful Celtic Trinity soundport that he cuts out by hand.

One of the immediate things you’ll notice about his guitars is the incredible attention to detail on his guitars. They’re absolutely flawless. He grew up building knives with his Dad and I think that experience has helped him with his finer points. His necks have a very thin profile that plays very fast and even. There’s not a dead spot anywhere. It’s simply a great playing guitar.

What really gets people’s attention about his guitars is the sound. They’re remarkable. While I’m not the best at describing tone, I think they’re extremely responsive, musical, inspiring. David has a way of pulling an amazing amount of volume, projection and tone out of his guitars. There’s a depth and warmth in the tone of his instruments that is very rare.

I highly recommend his guitars to anyone who’s interested. Plus, he’s easily one of the most humble people you’ll ever meet.

Here are a couple pictures of mine… (please excuse the quality of the photos)

Kindly,
Danny

P.S. His website is a little out of date so his prices are a little higher now and the phone number on his website is wrong. Jonathan posted the correct number in his build thread and I’m happy to PM it to anyone interested.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:19 AM
happiness

You got my attention with the word "parlor" in the title

Great review, Danny. That's a gorgeous looking little guitar, just my kind of instrument, I'd love to be able to pick it up and play it.

Fliss
Old 07-08-2011, 10:29 AM

Elegant guitar!
Old 07-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
You got my attention with the word "parlor" in the title

Great review, Danny. That's a gorgeous looking little guitar, just my kind of instrument, I'd love to be able to pick it up and play it.

Fliss

Thanks, Fliss! I'm with ya, parlors rock. If you're ever in Nashville, let me know and i'll let you play it

Quote:
Elegant guitar!
Thanks, Randomworks! I appreciate it.

Kindly,
Danny
Old 12-15-2015, 05:17 PM

Default DT versus Indigo

Does anyone know anything about Indigo Guitars from South Lake Tahoe?

Last edited by scmrtn; 12-16-2015 at 02:44 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion