The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2011, 03:27 PM

Default Best strings for a Norman B20?

Hi all -

A couple of days ago i rescued a several-years old Norman B20 from someone who hadn't played it in years. There was measurable dust accumulation at the bridge and even at the high end of the fretboard by the soundhole, as well as strings that had actually begun to rust.

I've had it set up, cleaned and strung with D'Addario EJ16s (PB, .012-053). It's the basic dread-style B20, not High Gloss or CW or Folk.

It obviously sounds better than when i demoed it, but though i get a fairly booming bass and okay mids, the upper register and high E especially just seem pretty quiet with little ring or sustain. Did i maybe get a dead string or posssibly two?

I'm used to playing with the D'Add LXRs on my other, much cheaper guitar, and these PBs seem quite a bit stickier/tackier for movement than the LXRs. I guess i've just about made up my mind to try the LXRs next string-change, but wanted to ask your thoughts.

Thanks!
-js
Old 06-20-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJohn View Post
It obviously sounds better than when i demoed it, but though i get a fairly booming bass and okay mids, the upper register and high E especially just seem pretty quiet with little ring or sustain. Did i maybe get a dead string or posssibly two?
And you might just be face to face with the tonal limitations of that guitar.

I wouldn't just roll over and accept that thought as gospel, though, and I'm glad to see you're exploring your options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJohn View Post
I'm used to playing with the D'Add LXRs on my other, much cheaper guitar, and these PBs seem quite a bit stickier/tackier for movement than the LXRs. I guess i've just about made up my mind to try the LXRs next string-change, but wanted to ask your thoughts.
Try all sorts of strings. Given your description of the tone as it is with the phosphor bronze strings on the guitar, my own next step would be to try some 80/20 bronze strings to see whether that clarifies the bass response and brightens up the trebles.

I use and endorse John Pearse strings, which sound great and work very well for me, so that is what I personally would try. But there are all sorts of very good strings on the market.

You might also try experimenting with medium gauge strings. The treble response in dreadnought-sized guitars can get a bit overwhelmed, and it might need a bit more tension on the top to get the fullest tone.

Another, more costly (but probably more effective) option would be to have the stock bridge saddle replaced with one made from bone. That is often the most effective way to get a bit more treble response from a guitar, regardless of what string brand, gauge or alloy gets used.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-20-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I use and endorse John Pearse strings, which sound great and work very well for me, so that is what I personally would try. But there are all sorts of very good strings on the market.

Wade Hampton Miller
The JP New Mediums are proving themselves. They're neither mediums or lites. Both the sound and feel are good.

Jerry
Old 06-20-2011, 07:44 PM

I had a Seagull S-6 that came from the same family as the Norman. With a set of .012s it sounded OK, but with a set of phosphor bronze mediums (.013-.056) it really came to life.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:14 AM

Just a slight correction, as my recollection was a bit fuzzy last night. The D'Addario coated strings on my other guitar are called EXP, not LXR.

-js

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion