The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2011, 07:08 AM

Default Removing a Schaller Oyster - PLEASE HELP!

Folks, an uncle just gave me his old Vester acoustic guitar, but it has a silver Schaller oyster stuck on the front with double sided tape I think. Now over the years it has become SUPER stuck on - no matter how hard I seem to push and pull I can't get it off - and it has become a disturbing obsession... I dislike visual electrics at the best of times Do you folks have any suggestions at all? I thought of pouring boiling water over it but won't that effect the top/colour. It is a black guitar by the way...

Thank you!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:32 AM

Default pictures?

Might be useful to have a picture of what you're dealing with. Boiling water is a definite "NO", and teh right answer is dependent on both the glue that was used, and the type of finish on the top.

One option, which is more or less risky, is to cut out a cawl, which perfectly fits the outline of the "oyster", in carboard, or leather, or something that can protect the top from heat. Then, I'd use heat on the oyster, from a hair dryer, heat lamp, whatever. If the top is totally protected everywhere except on the device you're trying to remove, eventually the adhesive will heat up and probably relese. I'd also keep my inside the guitar and make sure the top isn't getting too hot under the cawl. If you go slow, you can do it this way without any damage to the top.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:24 AM

Here it is - really does cling like an oyster!

Last edited by Aden; 04-29-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:30 PM

You could try using vinegar to loosen the glue if it is stuck on with double sided tape. Vinegar will soften many glues and generally doesn't hurt most finishes.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:24 PM

Naptha? Maybe try some kind of penetrating product like WD40, just test it on some inconspicuous spot first for finish reaction.

You could even try lemon oil/fingerboard treatment, it may seep down and loosen the old adhesive, and shouldn't be harsh on the finish.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion