The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2011, 03:11 PM

Default NGD - Martin D15

Went to Guitar Center this morning to look for that elusive guitar with the dark, woody tone I have been seeking. I had purchased an Epi Masterbilt D500M which was nice but ended up being returned because of problems with rehumidifying the top.

To this morning, I walked right into a pristine 2001 Martin D15 at a low price. Perfect action, no warping on the top or bridge lifting. I had played a few D15s that left me feeling "meh" but this one is just terrific. I am not sure, but I think the newer ones are made from Sapele and this one may be all mahogony. Reason I think so is that last week at Matt Umanov's shop in NYC, I played a D15-M that sounded so much like this one and I know that model is certified all mahogany.

After about 10 minutes of dialing in and playing, I knew this is my guitar.
45 minutes later it belonged to me.

Its a great feeling when that special guitar picks you out. Some days, life is truly wonderful!

www.soundcloud.com/johnhicks
www.americansongspace.com/johnhicks

Grazin' in the herd: Gibson J45, Martin SWOMGT, Fender Lite Ash Tele, Gretsch 5120
Old 04-09-2011, 03:45 PM

Congrats, I've had several 15's and loved them all. Sounds like you found a good one. I find, with my J-15, that the string choice is critical to get the crisp sound that I like. I use Alchemy PB's and they really do the job. Give 'em a try if you get a chance.

Sounds like you think it sounds better because it may be mahogany? I've never found anyone who could distinguish a mahogany 15 from a sapele 15 in a blind test (and my luthier friends seem to agree, at the 15 level, the two woods produce very much the same sound.)

I think you just plain got a good one, sapele or mahogany. Mine's great, too.

Clark
Old 04-09-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa3jpg View Post
I think you just plain got a good one, sapele or mahogany. Mine's great, too.

Clark
I agree. Hell, I don't care if its made of cardboard . . . if it sounds great, that's enough for me!

Grazin' in the herd: Gibson J45, Martin SWOMGT, Fender Lite Ash Tele, Gretsch 5120
Old 04-09-2011, 06:15 PM

Hey, you have a SWOMGT just like me. I love mine, you?
Old 04-09-2011, 06:26 PM

Congrats!
Old 04-09-2011, 06:33 PM

D15's are very nice...and if it's real hog even better. We have one and love it. Congrats!
Old 04-09-2011, 06:34 PM

Congratulations on picking up a series 15 Martin!! They have as loyal a following as I've ever seen. I agree with Clark too, whether your D-15 is mahogany or sapele is of no consequence when it comes to sound. Both are terrific. Enjoy!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 04-09-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Hey, you have a SWOMGT just like me. I love mine, you?
I do love my SWOMGT. I was looking for a better quality OM and one of the boarders here had one for sale with bone saddle, pins and a K&K Pure Western Mini . . . exactly the upgrades that I knew I might need to make. The guitar has been a total, overwhelming surprise. I have found that using D'Addario PB EJ19s (bluegrass set: .012 - .056) has been the trick with this guitar since the medium bottoms balance beautifully with the light tops.
This guitar is a good strummer and is terrific for fingerstyle.

My new D-15 is a nice companion to the SWOMGT -- different voice, different dynamic. The two guitars give me a nice "palette" for the range of stuff that I do (which ranges from Child Ballads to Robyn Hitchcock).

Looking around on the Martin Guitar Fourm, I notice that some guys have chosen to buff their cherry back/sides to a semi-gloss with some spectacular results -- see below.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Congrats... great choice! I love my 00-15M more than I ever expected... and they do seem to have quite a loyal following. It's my understanding that Martin used both sapele and mahogany in the past and that they were indeed indistinguishable, but today the 15Ms are all mahogany. Great guitar... great sound.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:23 PM

I love the Martin hog-tops. I think they introduced Sapele as an alternative in 2003, so you can be certain your 2001 model is all-mahogany (if that matters to you).

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion