The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-09-2011, 08:02 AM

Default Guitar case restoration

Recently I inherited a great old Rickenbacher "Silver Hawaiian" lap guitar that dates from about 1937. The instrument itself is in pretty good shape, but the original case has definitely taken a lot of punishment.

I like the shape and the compact size of the case. Unfortunately, it's flaking and too fragile to carry around. Is there any such thing as a "guitar case restorer?" I'd be hoping for somebody who could strip the old case down to its bones (which are wood), tighten it up, put new covers on the inside and outside, and replace the hardware.

I realize this forum is for "acoustic" guitars, but surely people have solved this problem for all sorts of instruments. Also, I have noticed that this group is never at a loss for bright ideas...

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:06 AM

Some photos of the Silver Hawaiian!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:18 AM

Might cost less to have a completely new case built for it.

Give these people a call. They can make you a beautiful custom case that would last a life time....

http://www.cabbagecases.com/

BTW......I like your last name........same as mine!
Old 04-09-2011, 02:33 PM

Great tip -- thanks!

P.S. Maybe you're my long-lost rich uncle???
Old 04-09-2011, 04:56 PM

Daniel, since I don't belong to Facebook, I couldn't view your photos.

You can post them on this thread easily enough by copying the URL for each, then put them between these code brackets: [img]urlhere[/img]

As for getting the case restored, there are a few possibilities. I typically take any instrument case needing repair (or that I want modified) to my favorite local shoe and luggage repair shop. They can replace hardware, handles and hinges, and even modify the size of the case pocket and move the neck supports around. I've even had a banjo case modified to accept an octave mandolin, and in that instance they cut down the size of the neck cradle in order to make the instrument fit.

I'm not sure that completely replacing the exterior and interior fabric is something a luggage repair shop would take on, however. You can ask, of course.

Another possibility, and perhaps a likelier one, would be to talk to an upholstery shop about that part of the restoration.

What I've done myself is replace the interior fabric, sometimes adding additional foam padding while I'm at it. But I've never stripped an old case of its exterior fabric, so i can't help you there.

So my suggestion is that you talk to both a luggage repair shop and an upholstery shop, to get some price quotes for the work.

It may, in fact, be more cost-effective to get a modern case or gigbag for the instrument, so that's something you should look into, as well.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-09-2011, 05:39 PM

Well, I may be one of your long-lost uncles, but definitely not one of the rich ones.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Guitar Gourmet

That's a lovely Rick! I circled the Rick world a few times lately but never pulled the trigger. Rick cases show up on fleabay pretty regularly, btw. It might be better for you to go with the previous advice and get a new case built and save the original to protect the resale value.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-09-2011, 09:10 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the great advice. I've only been on this forum a few months, but I'm always impressed with the good-natured sharing of experience and information.

Wade, I'm still a little baffled about posting photos. I uploaded them to Facebook, thinking this would assign a URL and allow me to post them here. But when I used the [IMG]url[IMG/] codes, it simply inserted a live link to Facebook, which (as you say) is useless to people without a FB account. Is there a way to upload a photo to the forum directly from my hard drive?

Anyhow, thanks again. I live on a small island off Cape Cod, so my local options are limited. I may go the new-case route.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:32 PM

Daniel, not being a Facebook member I don't know what to tell you about their protocols. But what you can do that will work is go to a public photo-posting site, post your photos there, and then put the url between the [img]url here [/img] brackets.

By the way, writing that last bit as [IMG/] as you have will not work. The backslash has to come before the IMG, thusly: [/img]

Hope that makes sense.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion