The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-08-2011, 11:02 PM

Default Down From the Mountain

We just finished watching this. It's a live concert by many of the artists who provided the music for the Coen Brothers film: Oh Brother Where Art Thou. I'm sure you've all seen that and heard the music.

Features some stellar performances by Dr. Ralph Stanley, John Hartford, Alison Krauss & Union Station, Emmylou Harris, Gillian Welch, Chris Sharp, Chris Thomas King, The Cox Family, the Fairfield Four and many others. Highly recommended.

You'll also see enough vintage Martins and Gibsons in action to give you enough GAS to open up your own Mobil Station! LOL!

I see myself as being more of a bluesman than anything else, but these old time mountain tunes are the music I grew up with - my family's from rural West Virginia and my dad used to sing many of these songs to me when I was a little boy.

John Hartford is the master of ceremonies and it's especially touching knowing that he died a year after this concert after a long battle with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma...same cancer I was diagnosed with three years ago. John's performances are some of the shows highlights.

John is shown backstage before the show and he looks tired and beat during the interview. He mentions the cancer only once. But when he gets onstage he almost becomes a different man and lights up, plays and sings with real soul and feeling and even does a little dancing.

I think he's one of the greats. I was very fortunate to see him live about twenty years ago. He provided his own syncopated percussion while playing the fiddle and banjo by dancing on a special platform he used to bring with him for concerts. Really good stuff!

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 04-08-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:26 AM

one of my favorite DVD's. great instruments, great players and singers, good listen overall. gotta love gillian welch, alison krauss, and emmylou harris, among others.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:48 AM

John Hartford, hands down my all time favorite. This dvd sounds awesome and i'm going to have to check it out. Thanks for the tip, sir.

p.s. I envy you for seeing John live. There are certain artists i really wish i found out about earlier.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:05 AM

I'll buy it just for Gillian......

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-09-2011, 05:44 AM

Great DVD!
Rawlings,who accompanies Gillian is awesome on his old epiphone.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:02 AM

I haven't seen this DVD, but am intrigued.

Interesting to read the reviews about it at Amazon. Most loved it, but there is a strong subset of complaints about too much backstage footage (interrupting and detracting from the songs) and about the omission of Man of Constant Sorrow.

Did either of those things bother you?

I would like to give it a look and listen sometime.

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

Old 04-09-2011, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

I've had that DVD for years but haven't watched it in quite a while. I'll have to dig it out and give it another look.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post
I haven't seen this DVD, but am intrigued.

Interesting to read the reviews about it at Amazon. Most loved it, but there is a strong subset of complaints about too much backstage footage (interrupting and detracting from the songs) and about the omission of Man of Constant Sorrow.

Did either of those things bother you?

I would like to give it a look and listen sometime.

Only once. Towards the end of a great tune by Chris Thomas King they went backstage and and showed the Cox family getting ready to go on and not being able to find one member. That was funny - but I'd rather have heard the whole Chris Thomas King number because it was good!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand00028 View Post
Great DVD!
Rawlings,who accompanies Gillian is awesome on his old epiphone.
Is that what that was? David Rawlings and an old Epiphone. Couldn't figure it out what it was but it sure sounded good! Can you tell me more about that guitar? I want one! lol!
Old 04-10-2011, 04:27 PM

Great DVD. I like the "behind the scenes" backstage footage, it helps separate this disc from the typical "concert" DVD.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenbird View Post
Is that what that was? David Rawlings and an old Epiphone. Couldn't figure it out what it was but it sure sounded good! Can you tell me more about that guitar? I want one! lol!
I think that it was Chet Atkins that was once quoted say the following.
After a concert Chet was approached by a fan who said, that sure is a great sounding guitar that you have.
Chet set the guitar down, looked over at and then said, how does it sound now?

I give David a lot of the credit for how his old Epiphone sounds.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion