The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-06-2011, 01:11 PM

Default Need help with DigiTech RP 155

Bought it last week on the suggestion of someone here because I was looking to spice up our set a little bit (I'm part of a two-man acoustic band).

Anyway, we're running into an issue where the volume controls for the "bypass" selection and the distortion (which is what we really want to use it for) are so different, and there's been a lot (a lot) of feedback.

I get that this pedal for meant for an electric guitar, and acoustics can be a bit temperamental with this kind of equipment. But I'm wondering if anyone has one of these pedals, used it with an acoustic guitar and has mastered the volume.

I love the pedal itself and all it does, but I'm wondering if just a straight up Boss distortion pedal is the way to go. Appreciate the help.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:28 PM

I presently use a RP355 with a Taylor GA8 with 2007 9 volt electronics. I do not experience the feedback issue, however that may be due to the ES system. I did find a preset that was useful, however I had to tweak certain settings, effects within the preset including the level volume of the preset and store that setting. The RP155 will do anything the Boss pedal will do except maybe sound exactly the same. My listeners do not notice the difference, believe me. Just play around with it and with the increase in gain and volume feedback will be an issue. I have notch filters on a DI box I also use when I use my Carvin or Fender guitars and they work well also. I have in the past experienced feedback with the use of certain PA systems but the notch filters took care of it. The Carvin has one built in to its on-board preamp. I have never used the Carvin or Fender with the RP355 so do not know about feedback issues in that respect.

In your case it seems to me you just have to adjust the preset volume level to match or slightly exceed the bypass mode.
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 03-06-2011, 01:54 PM

I think you're right because we had it right when we practiced, had it right during sound check, then couldn't duplicate the sound when it came time to do that song later in the night. It was amazing frustrating, especially in front of a live audience.

I think the question that we ran into the most was: the volume on the pedal, the volume on the guitar and the volume on the mixer. What should be higher? What is bound to give you the most feedback?

We're also using a monitor, and I wasn't sure if that was causing the feedback. Should that be turned down during distortion songs? I'm such a newbie when it comes to this stuff.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:35 AM

One of the issues I believe you are running into is this:

1) Preamp in Guitar amplifies signal.

2) Preamp in RP155 amplifies signal again.

3) Preamp in Mixer amplifies signal yet again.

You do not want to overdrive the Mixer's input, so with that as a guide, I would keep the guitars volume control at 5 or 6, no more.

I would balance the preset volume to the bypass mode to your liking then set the master volume of the RP155 at around 60. Let the mixer do the work from there.
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification