The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-10-2011, 05:09 PM

Default Stuck for Inspiration

I'm in one heck of a rut at the moment. It' seems that everything I start to learn to play really doesn't interest me, but I find myself playing it simply because I can't find anything else...

I really like fingerstyle guitar. I'm not the best player but I would consider myself at a "fairly" decent level. The sort of stuff I like to play is the gentle, flowing kind of music rather than the more aggressive and percussive stuff. The issue I am having is I can't seem to find anything that inspires me. As much as I know Youtube is a great resource, it's fairly hard to find anything specific as obviously I don't know the name of the musician or the tune I am after. I have spent hours trawling through stuff but it always seems to lead me to the same stuff over and over.

Does anyone have a few recommendations for something I can really get my teeth into?

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coke_zero View Post
I'm in one heck of a rut at the moment. It' seems that everything I start to learn to play really doesn't interest me, but I find myself playing it simply because I can't find anything else...

I really like fingerstyle guitar. I'm not the best player but I would consider myself as a fairly decent player but not a stand out sort of player. The sort of stuff I like to play is the gentle, flowing kind of music rather than the more aggressive and percussive stuff. The issue I am having is I can't seem to find anything that inspires me. As much as I know Youtube is a great resource, it's fairly hard to find anything specific as obviously I don't know the name of the musician or the tune I am after.

Does anyone have a few recommendations for something I can really get my teeth into?

Thanks.

Play some Cat stevens and some crosby,still,nash and young....that will get you out of a rut,,,good luck...we all sometimes get in a rut..sometimes its good to walk away for a day or two..but not longer than that, because it will become day 3 and then 2 months later...you know what i mean... listen to the show and tell on here...good music and great people to talk to..Solo

Mike Solo
Old 01-10-2011, 05:27 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm a fan of instrumentals but maybe I need a change of direction for a while or to learn a few other things ontop of instrumentals. I will lookup a few songs. Thanks again.

Input from others would also be great.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:03 PM

something like this maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLuFjK0BWs8
Old 01-10-2011, 06:31 PM

Use a pick. Fingerstyle is just a style. Its not the be all by any means.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:

I really like fingerstyle guitar. I'm not the best player but I would consider myself at a "fairly" decent level. The sort of stuff I like to play is the gentle, flowing kind of music rather than the more aggressive and percussive stuff. The issue I am having is I can't seem to find anything that inspires me. As much as I know Youtube is a great resource, it's fairly hard to find anything specific as obviously I don't know the name of the musician or the tune I am after. I have spent hours trawling through stuff but it always seems to lead me to the same stuff over and over.

Thanks.

Dude, its like your feeling sorry for your self..like...ya i just got a new BMW 700 series and well, after driving it around for a few months im in a rut ...whatever...dude there is youtube and if you cant find anyone player you like on you tube,,,ummmmmmmm..are you that good.?.and acomplished so much..Do you not like music, as you once did...maybe just, put the guitar in the case...leave it alone..go to a few live concert..also,...lots of recordings on this forum.

Be a little more specific in laymans terrms...and the cat stevens thing was a great suggestion...":MAD world,father and son, moonshadow and many more..good luck,,John
Old 01-11-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

Dude, its like your feeling sorry foryour self..like...ya i just got a new BMW 700 series and well, after driving it around for a few months im in a rut ...whatever...dude there is youtube and if you cant find anyone player you like on you tube,,,ummmmmmmm..are you that good.?.and acomplished so much..Do you not like music, as you once did????...maybe just, put the guitar in the case...leave it alone..go to a few live concerts..also,...lots of recordings on this forum. All good stuff..check out the show section.

Be a little more specific in laymans terrms...and the cat stevens thing was a great suggestion...":MAD world,father and son, moonshadow and many more..good luck,,John
Old 01-11-2011, 06:08 AM

In the same vein as the CSNY and Cat Stevens suggestion try learning some Eagles or James Taylor. Nice flowing melodies. If you go to James Taylors website he has free (if you sign up for his email updates) lessons on different techniques he has used throughout his music.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion