The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Why hide guitar logo in photos

Why is it common to hide the logo on a guitar in a photo or, say, in a music video? I mean, they will crop the photo or if it's a video, as they pan the camera, they will cut to another camera when they pan up to just past the nut. I'm sure it's marketing but what, exactly, is the reason.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:33 PM

Likely because the artist isn't paid to play that guitar so they don't want to give them free advertising.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

It probably has something to do with not providing unauthorized product endorsement.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-10-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWoolson View Post
Likely because the artist isn't paid to play that guitar so they don't want to give them free advertising.
This is precisely the reason.
Fingerpickers: Pat Donohue, Bob Evans, Tommy Emmanuel, Stephen Bennett, Masa Sumide, Eric Lugosch, Martin Taylor, Joe Pass, Jacques Stotzem, Laurence Juber, Rolly Brown, Tuck Andress, Ted Greene, Woody Mann

Rockers: Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan, Richie Kotzen, Joey Tafolla, Blues Saraceno, Andy Timmons

www.myspace.com/serikulus
www.youtube.com/fingerpickerguy
Old 01-10-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWoolson View Post
Probably this. Then when someone becomes famous enough they probably strike a deal with the company. It's the same reason why you see a lot of Marshall amps with the "M" removed.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
Why is it common to hide the logo on a guitar in a photo or, say, in a music video? I mean, they will crop the photo or if it's a video, as they pan the camera, they will cut to another camera when they pan up to just past the nut. I'm sure it's marketing but what, exactly, is the reason.
I've noticed this too and I can see the reasoning. However, I don't think I totally understand it.

The kind of people who are willing to shell out enough cash to buy a guitar used by a professional are probably savvy enough to figure out what kind of guitar they are playing without needing to peek at the headstock.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 01-10-2011, 05:04 PM

Yup. You want your product identified, you have to pay. Another obvious example of this is how in many tv shows where a character is holding/using/wearing a camera, the word "NIKON" or "CANON" on the pentaprism is blacked out - with an actual black magic marker, in most cases (with a piece of black tape, one in a while).

If a character is drinking a can of soda, the name will be turned away from the camera, unless the soda company has paid.

Sometimes, the make and model emblems will even be removed from the back of a car.

Makes perfect sense to me. There's big money to be made in selling product placement rights. You don't want to start "giving away" product placements, and risk reducing their value.

As for Steely Glen's argument that "The kind of people who are willing to shell out enough cash to buy a guitar used by a professional are probably savvy enough to figure out what kind of guitar they are playing without needing to peek at the headstock," so what? You don't think that most experienced photographers can identify a Nikon F2 when they see one, even if the "NIKON" name is blacked out? Or that an automobile enthusiast doesn't know that he's looking at a Porsche, even when the manufacturer's name isn't visible? The point is, it's a lot more effective an advertisement for the product when the manufacturer's name is openly acknowledged.

I grant you that sometimes this can be taken to ridiculous extremes, but usually the practice isn't obtrusive enough to ruin what would otherwise have been an enjoyable tv show or movie. (One seldom hears, "Darn! I would have loved that episode of 'The Sopranos,' if only they'd showed the Coca-Cola logo on the can of soda Tony was drinking at the 23 minute mark.")
--
Michael
Old 01-10-2011, 05:14 PM
strummin' an x12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Michael321 View Post
Yup. You want your product identified, you have to pay. Another obvious example of this is how in many tv shows where a character is holding/using/wearing a camera, the word "NIKON" or "CANON" on the pentaprism is blacked out - with an actual black magic marker, in most cases (with a piece of black tape, one in a while).

If a character is drinking a can of soda, the name will be turned away from the camera, unless the soda company has paid.
With the corollary being, if you can read a logo clearly in a movie, however briefly and in whatever context, you can be very sure the parent company paid for the privilege.

~ S.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:56 PM

There is a all reason involving the copywrite on brand logos. There are a lot of little clauses and exceptions to rules so a lot of people cover them up just to be sure. For instance its a pretty side known fact that Gibson pays the Jonas brothers a good deal of money to play their guitars but pretty such any time their on tv the gibson logo is covered up.
Gretsch G5122
Old 01-10-2011, 06:03 PM

some times a show can be sponsored by a certain company and when an artist or guest uses something else they can be made to block out the name if it is not same as a major sponsor of the program.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:45 PM

Actually it's not all that common to block out logos but when it is done it has to do with sponsorship, or lack there of..
Old 01-10-2011, 07:03 PM

In a few cases, I suspect the guitar company simply doesn't want anyone to know that their guitars can be made to sound that bad...

cotten
Old 01-10-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
In a few cases, I suspect the guitar company simply doesn't want anyone to know that their guitars can be made to sound that bad...

cotten

this is great!
thanks!!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-10-2011, 09:04 PM

Thanks for not asking how I know...

cotten
Old 01-10-2011, 11:18 PM

Other times they don't cover the logos and it makes you wonder - example, Brad Paisley is a signature artist for Larrivée guitars, yet he played a Santa Cruz at the CMA Christmas special, and uses a custome made J-45 copy in the Welcome to the Future video - in both cases, the stockhead is clearly visible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion