The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-10-2011, 09:26 AM

Default Best Stand Alone Bluegrass Guitar Model (Pick ONE)

What do you guys look for in a guitar model, if one were to choose specifically one guitar (I guess that's how I am). Forward shifted scalloped bracing vs standard bracing. D28 vs D18. I guess for you bluegrassers, if you had to choose one bluegrass guitar, what model would you pick? What features of the guitar make you think this?
Old 01-10-2011, 09:42 AM

My views on this might change in future, but I've already chosen my perfect bluegrass guitar: my Bourgeois custom slope D sunburst, adi over MadRose with mammoth ivory nut, saddle and pins, adi bracing, 25.5" scale, 1 23/32" nut width, 2 1/4" string spacing at saddle, and Waverley tuners.

If I had to pick a Martin product, I'd be partial to a new "stock" D-42 -- I gather that's the model range at which Martin starts to use reserve-quality woods, though I could be wrong about that. A friend has one, and it's pretty close to perfect for me, as full-size dreads go. Still, I prefer a slope. YMMV.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:47 AM

I think either of those models will work fine. The D18 GE is another option is you can handle the neck. I personally prefer the mahogany sound. Of course there are other options besides Martins.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apshaffer View Post
Of course there are other options besides Martins.
That's it....you are in time out mister !!!

Keith Lewis
Charlotte, NC
rkl245 on the UMGF
rkl on Mandolin Cafe

Martin D-18VS
Martin 000-28EC
Kentucky KM-505 Mandolin
Fender Leo Deluxe Banjo
Old 01-10-2011, 11:54 AM

D-18 Authentic
Old 01-10-2011, 01:32 PM

Personally, I'd choose the Martin D-18 Authentic because it exhibits the best qualities of the D-18 (clear cutting mids for lead) as well as some of the ringing overtones of the rosewood D-28's nicely suited for rhythm +++ PLUS +++ it has outstanding punch, projection, and volume with plenty of headroom -- and I love its bass.

That said, for bluegrass I'd be happy with several of the production Martin D-18's (the GE and Del McCoury in particular) or D-28's (the Tyminski or Clarence White would be nice).

That said, I've heard excellent runs and rhythm played on run-of-the-mill, plain old, no frills, garden variety D-18's and D-28's.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:35 PM

If cost were no object, a D-18 Authentic or D-18GE, if on a budget, Eastman E-10D.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
but I've already chosen my perfect bluegrass guitar: my Bourgeois custom slope D sunburst,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl245 View Post
That's it....you are in time out mister !!!
But he started it!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:28 PM

Well, I play a D-18 but lately I've really been thinking a lot about a Guild D-50 Bluegrass special. I got to play one about 8 months ago. Generally I'm a Mahogany fan but I do like a lot of rosewood guitars too and this was a really nice and snappy Adi topped tone monster.

The Guild D-40 Bluegrass Jubilee is really nice too and I definitely wouldn't turn my back on that one either but I think my D-18 has me covered for Hog for a while.

Some folks won't like the 1 11/16" nut but it's what I am used to already. I think Mahogany works great to cut through a jam but for a stand alone (I'm guessing you mean playing solo without other instruments) I really like the sound of the D-50...

-Jim
2009 Martin D-18
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-02
2014 Martin CEO-7
2015 Gibson J-45

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion