The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-10-2011, 05:20 AM

Default My familly thinks I'm crazy.

I read on this forum someplace that you could put your guitar in the shower to humidify the guitar. My GS mini has fret sprout and I decided to try bringing my Mini in the shower with me to see if it works. Yes this does work. The fret sprout almost went away with one shower, I'd say two more showers and my fret sprout will be gone. The only problem is that I was seen leaveing the shower with my GS Mini in my hand. Family just don't understand.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:25 AM

I can understand taking it into the bathroom while you shower, but taking it into the shower with you - weird!

- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Old 01-10-2011, 05:29 AM

I set the guitar on a guitar stand on the floor outside of the shower.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:30 AM

My family thinks I'm taking my love of Taylor guitars just a bit tooooo far.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:38 AM

The fact that you had fret sprout shows you should try and take a bit more care in keeping your gsmini humidified. I keep a homemade humidifier in my mini case. But, the shower makes a good revival tool.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgillard View Post
The fact that you had fret sprout shows you should try and take a bit more care in keeping your gsmini humidified. I keep a homemade humidifier in my mini case. But, the shower makes a good revival tool.
Like this...Solo

Mike Solo
Old 01-10-2011, 06:19 AM

.................................................. ...........

Mike Solo

Last edited by Battleman; 01-11-2011 at 03:25 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:53 AM

I would prefer to hydrate a dry guitar at a slower rate. At a given temperature, a guitar will absorb moisture at a certain maximum rate and exposing the guitar to a level of humidity that exceeds what it needs to reach that rate introduces unnecessary risk. I believe it is preferable to expose guitars to gradual ambient changes rather than sudden ones.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I would prefer to hydrate a dry guitar at a slower rate. At a given temperature, a guitar will absorb moisture at a certain maximum rate and exposing the guitar to a level of humidity that exceeds what it needs to reach that rate introduces unnecessary risk. I believe it is preferable to expose guitars to gradual ambient changes rather than sudden ones.
Agreed, Dampits and case humidifiers like the one Solo has displayed over the course of a few days or a week is the best way to re-humidify an instrument.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgillard View Post
I trid the humidipaks by Planet wave but it did not work as I had hoped. I;m making humidifiers now out of spoanges and bar soap holders.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solotaylor View Post
Like this...Solo

FOR MY MINI........SOLO

This is what I am making now. I'm going to use this along with a dampit in each guitar case.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:16 AM

With all due respect to Solo, I don't think putting a wet sponge into a leaky soap container and plopping that into your case is a great idea. More than once I've heard stories of guys doing that, forgetting the soap container is in the case, picking up the case to go to a gig or just to move it, and discovering water all over their guitar.

The idea of having a home-made solution is great. I'd just make sure it's one that doesn't leak.

- '21 Goodall GC redwood/Macassar ebony
- '17 Taylor K14-BE
- '21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
- '18 Taylor 114ce
- '15 Martin uke
Old 01-10-2011, 09:31 AM

I have used two dampits in each guitar case in the winter with no problems with any of my guitars drying out. I just have the problem with the Mini. I believe it must be the case because I had a hard case for my Baby Taylor and never had a problem with humidity. The Baby Taylor and GS Mini are the only Taylors I have with no neck binding. All other Taylors(710,GA8,GC6,410) and my Takamine EF360SBG are okay. I also have a Breedlove OF Quartz Mandolin that I use a smaller dampit in with no problem.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisG View Post
With all due respect to Solo, I don't think putting a wet sponge into a leaky soap container and plopping that into your case is a great idea. More than once I've heard stories of guys doing that, forgetting the soap container is in the case, picking up the case to go to a gig or just to move it, and discovering water all over their guitar.

The idea of having a home-made solution is great. I'd just make sure it's one that doesn't leak.
The sponge should be wrung out as much as possible so that it is only damp. If you do that, there will be no leak issues. It works a lot like a damp it.
Little Martin (LXM)
Lots of Drums

Never develop a passion you can't afford. It'll eat your heart away like a bookworm. - Cornella Funke
Old 01-10-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisG View Post

Well, its not hard to do... Ring out all the water and leave only a moist sponge and use a container that, if left in a case and picked up, would have no effect...and would not open up....Dude, i have vintage 12 string,,my baby...and its all good....My friend has a Martin 000-28 from 1944 (if you want ill pm u the price of that guitar)...and he has done this,,,this way for years...no problems...one,...after wetting it down good.....spend some time ringing out,,so not one drop is left..problem solved.... two, make sure you have a plastic case that stays seaedl properly and third....Make pin hole size, just in the top......i do mine a little bigger... and guess what, i dont use electricty , i dont have to keep checking it...its all good..to each there own...cheers, Solo

Mike Solo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion