The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-09-2011, 08:49 PM

Default should strings be loosened for shipping

I just sold a high end electric guitar and have to ship it. Should I loosen the strings for shipping or keep it tuned? What is the safest thing?

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 01-09-2011, 09:03 PM

Slack the strings. I tune anything I ship down a major 3rd or 4th but others take all the tension off. Make certain the guitar's head is cushioned underneath & on top so it can't whip around in the case. In fact, make certain there is no movement of the guitar inside the case at all. Then cushion the case inside the shipping box so it can't move around either. This all may sound like overkill but better safe than sorry.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:07 PM

Thanks. That is very helpful.

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 01-09-2011, 09:32 PM

Rick hit the nail on the head. Slack the strings a bit, but don't take complete tension off them or the flopping strings can slap around and scratch things. I bring them down 2-3 full steps.
Then pack the heck out of the headstock, both front and back to prevent whiplash. It doesn't matter how good of a case you have, if the headstock isn't protected, a drop can snap it off like a matchstick.
This can happen more easily if there is a lot of tension on the strings.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:06 AM

From Larrivee's website:

Do NOT take tension off the strings when shipping your guitar. This is a dangerous practice as the machine heads and headstock are the heaviest parts of the guitar, and the string tension from proper tuning serves to counteract the stresses these parts place on the instrument. Some people on the internet will tell you that loosening the strings is a good idea - If it was such a good idea, then every manufacturer would do it. Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Larrivee, Collings, etc all ship our guitars new from the factory at full tension - What makes your guitar any different?
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-10-2011, 12:37 AM

I kind of split the difference....I loosen the strings one full step & pack the heck out of the case....especially around the headstock....any voids I fill with crumpled newspaper....I would go with Paul on this one....A reputation like his doesn't come easy....
The larger guitar companies have more leverage with the shippers as far as collecting on insurance claims....that's what common sense tells me....the shippers want their business, so they're more likely to go out of their way to keep them shipping with them....
my 2 cents, Boneyard
Martin SWDGT
Martin SWJGT
Martin MMV Dread
Martin 000-21
Old 01-10-2011, 02:59 AM

I receive guitars (shipped transatlantic) both ways. I have never had any damage.. fingers crossed. I am with Larrivee on the theory but do what you think is best.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:53 AM

Disclaimer, This is how I see it.

A guitar is built to withstand normal string tension so Larrivees view could be right.........but (there's always a but) the guitar could be exposed to extreme temperatures during shipping. Cold temperatures cause the steel strings to contract. This could raise the already normal tension much higher, resulting in damage. High temperatures can soften glues somewhat, causing joints to creep under normal tension. I de tune them one step. Good packing, and packaging is important reguardless of how you tune it.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:08 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

From Frets.com, run by Frank Ford, owner of Gryphon Stringed Instruments, luthier, repair expert.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musi.../packing1.html

He recommends loosening them a bit.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 01-10-2011, 05:25 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
From Larrivee's website:

Do NOT take tension off the strings when shipping your guitar. This is a dangerous practice as the machine heads and headstock are the heaviest parts of the guitar, and the string tension from proper tuning serves to counteract the stresses these parts place on the instrument. Some people on the internet will tell you that loosening the strings is a good idea - If it was such a good idea, then every manufacturer would do it. Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Larrivee, Collings, etc all ship our guitars new from the factory at full tension - What makes your guitar any different?
Ah, so that's why there are so many Larrivee's out there with the neck's cracked at the nut!!!

Seriously, with all the guitars I've shipped and received in the last ten years of "horse-trading" the only one I've had any real problem with (one other with finish checking) was a Larrivee I'd received that didn't have the headstock supported or detuned, and the neck was cracked at the nut slot.

There is absolutely no reason why you can't detune a full step or step and a half as a precaution for this. It takes enough tension off to reduce the likelihood of whiplash should the box get knocked flat on it's face during shipment (which happens a lot more than we think, I'm guessing!)

Last edited by fitness1; 01-10-2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
From Larrivee's website:

I've argued this point ad nauseum both on this forum as well with Larrivee directly. If their method is so perfect, why are they the only company that says that's the way to do it?
Yes, the other big companies also ship at tension but they don't spout on about it being the "right" way to do it. My guess is that the big guys do it simply because of the cost and time involved to do so. Let's say you ship out 500 guitars a day. And it takes 1 minute to detune the strings of each guitar. That's a lot of time and money. I'm sure they have someone that can project the odds and have determined that it's better to roll the dice on this one. As well as comment made before about them having more pull with the shippers and claims are likely paid very quickly and easily to a company that ships 500 guitars a day.
All of that said, my only comment to Larrivee directly is that the marketing guy that writes these things doesn't know much about the physics of a guitar.

Last edited by PWoolson; 01-10-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:09 AM

this space now intentionally blank.

Last edited by mc1; 01-10-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: delete my misreading/misunderstanding.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:12 AM

No discrepancy "Yes, the other big companies also ship at tension but they don't spout on about it"
Old 01-10-2011, 08:40 AM

i've been searching around and martin guitar's care and feeding document states:

Loosening the strings and using a soft cotton packing material to keep
the guitar tight in its case will decrease the possibility of
damage while a guitar is in the baggage compartment.

http://www.martinguitar.com/catalog/...re&Feeding.pdf

i couldn't find any information on the taylor site, except to ship ground.

colling's website has some shipping tips, but no mention of the string tension.
http://www.collingsguitars.com/repairs.html#shipping

Last edited by mc1; 01-10-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:43 AM

I loosen the strings and pack very well under the headstock and around any crevices in the body area (between the guitar and the case. Basically I remove any wiggle room around the guitar while in the case.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion