The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-09-2011, 12:27 PM

Default Strings...some easier to play than others ?

This is mostly a case of liking what the other one has but here goes. Have always used Pyramid strings (med) on the D28M and D18GE. Wanted to try some others and started with 80/20 Nano lights. Sound was OK I thought but between the difference in sound and the "slippery" feeling I decided to switch back. Sound a side the nano's seem to play up and down the neck much better than the Pyramids. Is it my imagination ?????? What gauge and Brand are others using so I can experiment even more and drive myself crazy !!!!

Bob J
Old 01-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

many strings differ - some are much easier to play than others, and tone can vary greatly, too.

i find DR rares sound better than DR sunbeams, but the sunbeams are easier to play than the rares. i've always found d'addario pb's to be easy players, and thomastik's plectrums are just about the easiest playing strings around. my husband swears by black diamond pb's as being easy to play and sounding great.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:46 PM

if i didn't play elixir's, i would probably go back to john pearse P/B's. they play OK.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:54 PM

You guys have me wondering now how some string could be easier than others.

I'm not familiar with the differences between one brand to the other but if one is easier to play than the other, I can only assume some strings reach the same tone as others with less tension. Is that the case or is my thinking/guessing off?

Just wondering.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Humanist

You went from medium gauge to light gauge, and the playing was easier.

No surprise there...it's the difference in string tension. Less tension generally equals easier playing, regardless of the string-manufacturer.

You can experiment all you want...you should! Just be aware when you're comparing apples to apples, so to speak, and when you're not.

P.S. That "slippery feeling" with Elixir strings becomes addictive once you play on them for a while...addictive in a good way, that is.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 01-09-2011, 02:12 PM

The other difference between strings not mentioned is that between hex and round cores. In hex cores the core and winding are bonded more tightly making for a stiffer feeling string for any given gauge than round cores where the winding can slide over the core wire.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:18 PM

What round cores should I try ????

Bob J
Old 01-09-2011, 02:36 PM

Also ......On dreads what do most people prefer...lights or mediums.

Bob J
Old 01-09-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipgrncln View Post

Bob J
Mediums are maybe a bit more common, at least in terms of what manufacturers ship them with. They usually have a bit more volume, but also require more strength. Lights can sound great too.

I own a dread that I string with lights, and one with mediums, they both play and sound good, it's pretty subjective IMHO.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
What round cores should I try ????

Bob J
DR Sunbeam 13-56 (Be sure to crimp them and bring them to pitch before cutting the excess off or they'll unwind).

One of our sponsors "Maury's Music" has reviews posted by brand that are excelllent.

http://www.maurysmusic.com/dr_sunbea..._todd_s_review

http://www.maurysmusic.com/dr_sunbea..._tony_s_review
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 01-09-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:

Bob J
Mediums generally give you more oomph in everything but it depends on the stiffness of the top which makes it sound the liveliest...mediums could possibly pull the top too much so restricting the amount it can move upwards and downwards: if you like the sound it's the right gauge.

Round cores you could try that are well spoken of are Newtone Masterclass in bronze and PB flavours or DR Sunbeams.

http://www.newtonestrings.com/acoustic_page.htm

http://www.drstrings.com/catalogs/acoustic-strings
Old 01-09-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
This is mostly a case of liking what the other one has but here goes. Have always used Pyramid strings (med) on the D28M and D18GE. Wanted to try some others and started with 80/20 Nano lights. Sound was OK I thought but between the difference in sound and the "slippery" feeling I decided to switch back. Sound a side the nano's seem to play up and down the neck much better than the Pyramids. Is it my imagination ?????? What gauge and Brand are others using so I can experiment even more and drive myself crazy !!!!

Bob J
I've got Pyramid Western Folk in rotation where I use DR Sunbeam most often. Those and Newtones I like are round core strings. The value of Sunbeams can't be discounted but the Pyramid Western Folk do come off has a round core that's more like EJ sets from D'Addario.

I know the slick feeling you mention with the Elixirs. They can give a fun electric feel but I don't like the way any of the Elixirs rob potential tone.

IMO nothing beats fresh strings and DR Sunbeams price makes that easier than the Pyramid and Newtones.

You have to wind round core strings with care as has been said here.

Buy a bunch of strings that interest you when they're on sale and that way you can compare back to back and not dead to fresh strings.

EJs were my favored strings for decades prior to GAS and discovering DRs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion