The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-09-2011, 05:09 AM

Default Bridge Pins on a Larrivee

I have this Larrivee OM-19 that I absolutely love. I can't say enough good things about it. But yet, I do have two minor criticism of it.

The first, I remedied a couple years ago. The bone saddle that came installed in the guitar was a very sloppy fit. I can't understand why the folks at Larrivee would make such a nice guitar an then cut corners on the saddle. So I bought a new WAHI saddle from Bob Colosi a couple years ago and installed it and have been extremely please with the result.

My second criticism, is the bridge pins. All six do not match and they are also a sloppy fit. So now I am thinking it's time to remedy this problem as well. I would love a set of FWI pins, but that is way out of my budget. So it's either going to be a set of bone bridge pins or buffalo horn pins. I know that sonically, the bone pins are probably the better choice. However, I really prefer the sleek black look of my present ebony pins and the buffalo horn pins would have a similar black appearance. Actually, probably a better appearance. It would be a stark change to switch to white bone pins, or even to vintage died bone pins. From what I have seen, Larrivee equips all their guitars with ebony bridge pins and never uses bone, so I guess I have just come to expect the black pins as part of the Larrivee look. What do you all think? Bone bridge pins or buffalo horn bridge pins?

And I final general question. Overall, I have found this Larrivee to be a wonderful guitar and very well made. Is this unusaul in such an otherwise well made guitar to find such shoddy workmanship in the saddle and bridge pidge pins.

Larrivee OM-19
Sandy Creek Mountain Dulcimers
Flea Ukulele

"Love in a memory, sparkled like diamond. When the diamonds fall, they burn like tears" -- Nancy Griffith
Old 01-09-2011, 06:12 AM

did u ever consider brass pins? I put these http://www.pinzuk.com/ on my Martin HJ-38 after trying bone ones; brass is very cool looking and nice sounding
Old 01-09-2011, 06:50 AM

Yes, I have considered brass. I guess appearance wise, brass would be in a similar catagory with bone bridge pins. By that I mean that, I associate black ebony bridge pins with the Larrivee look, since that is all I have ever seen on Larrivee guitars. And buffalo horn pins would keep that same black pin look. Where as bone pins, or brass pins, would dramatically change the appearance. I am not decided whether I want to maintain the black pin look I am accustomed to Or make a departure and go with bone, or brass, pins.

Larrivee OM-19
Sandy Creek Mountain Dulcimers
Flea Ukulele

"Love in a memory, sparkled like diamond. When the diamonds fall, they burn like tears" -- Nancy Griffith
Old 01-09-2011, 07:19 AM

Black water buffelo horn, the ones lmii sell...i bought sets for all the my acoustics..all two that is..lol...and they are perfect...At least to me...

Ok, Im Back, starting this mornig...I had a job interview in California. THEY TOLD ME OVER THE PHONE THAT ID BE THERE TRAINING FOR SOME TIME..when i got there and was interviewing for the job..right away, They said i had too much experience, and i said, you can never have to much experience....

Then they used another "Big Boy statement" umm, your over qualified".........They go hand in hand. who the hell is running Califonia, ok im over it...lol..I told them" ill pick with the chickens",lol.. if it meant getting this job.............Its all good..life is good. and in content,,,,Solo

Mike Solo

Last edited by rlouie; 01-09-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: abbreviations for curse words isn't allowed either
Old 01-09-2011, 07:39 AM

I've found over the years I have tried almost everything material wise for bridge pins. From plastic to My current FWI's. The only difference in sound I could actually hear live and recorded was the brass. They lasted less than a day, I guess you could say the difference they made was not what "I" was looking for. Fastest $30.00 I had wasted in a long time for any of my guitars (tried them in all of them at the time.)

The water buffalo certainly looks nice, but for tone change don't look for a difference like strings or saddle/nut replacements make. Basically a bling upgrade. BTW, no offense towards those who like brass, or, those with shaper ears than mine for differences. There were minor sustain diff's with the natural materials but not so much I would choose them over the cosmetics.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 01-09-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
I've found over the years I have tried almost everything material wise for bridge pins. From plastic to My current FWI's. The only difference in sound I could actually hear live and recorded was the brass. They lasted less than a day, I guess you could say the difference they made was not what "I" was looking for. Fastest $30.00 I had wasted in a long time for any of my guitars (tried them in all of them at the time.)

The water buffalo certainly looks nice, but for tone change don't look for a difference like strings or saddle/nut replacements make. Basically a bling upgrade. BTW, no offense towards those who like brass, or, those with shaper ears than mine for differences. There were minor sustain diff's with the natural materials but not so much I would choose them over the cosmetics.
Agree....Put it this way....plastic(pins) is a poor conducter....wood (pins) change shape depending on the heat or cold and yes humidity...Horn, although you might not hear a big change...is a better conductor because its harder and it wont change during temp change..brass is good for classical guitars....just my 2 cents...not worth a lot..but its still two cents...

Mike Solo
Old 01-09-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five and Dime View Post

I have this Larrivee OM-19 that I absolutely love. I can't say enough good things about it. But yet, I do have two minor criticism of it.

The first, I remedied a couple years ago. The bone saddle that came installed in the guitar was a very sloppy fit. I can't understand why the folks at Larrivee would make such a nice guitar an then cut corners on the saddle. So I bought a new WAHI saddle from Bob Colosi a couple years ago and installed it and have been extremely please with the result.

My second criticism, is the bridge pins. All six do not match and they are also a sloppy fit. So now I am thinking it's time to remedy this problem as well. I would love a set of FWI pins, but that is way out of my budget. So it's either going to be a set of bone bridge pins or buffalo horn pins. I know that sonically, the bone pins are probably the better choice. However, I really prefer the sleek black look of my present ebony pins and the buffalo horn pins would have a similar black appearance. Actually, probably a better appearance. It would be a stark change to switch to white bone pins, or even to vintage died bone pins. From what I have seen, Larrivee equips all their guitars with ebony bridge pins and never uses bone, so I guess I have just come to expect the black pins as part of the Larrivee look. What do you all think? Bone bridge pins or buffalo horn bridge pins?

And I final general question. Overall, I have found this Larrivee to be a wonderful guitar and very well made. Is this unusaul in such an otherwise well made guitar to find such shoddy workmanship in the saddle and bridge pidge pins.
I like the tone and looks of bone pins.

I usually do not care for the color of pins whether black or white, but vintage died bone pins would be good.
2006 R. Taylor Style 1 Cutaway Old Growth Redwood/Madagascar (ES V1.3)
2005 Tippin Jumbo Adirondack/Quilted Cuban Santa Maria Mahogany
2003 Eichelbaum Slope Dreadnought
2001 Lowden O35 Sitka/Koa
BlueRidge BR163
pendulum preamp hz-10se
Trace Elliot TA100R Mahogany Box
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 01-09-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solotaylor View Post
Agree....Put it this way....plastic(pins) is a poor conducter....wood (pins) change shape depending on the heat or cold and yes humidity...Horn, although you might not hear a big change...is a better conductor because its harder and it wont change during temp change..brass is good for classical guitars....just my 2 cents...not worth a lot..but its still two cents...

AFAIK bridge pins can affect the sound only in one way: adding mass to the bridge.
They do not modify the sound by instrinsic "conductivity" as the energy generated by the vibrating string is primarily transferred to the saddle-bridge-top system. That's probably why only brass pins make some audible sound difference.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solotaylor View Post
The pins are not designed to be sound conductors, and as "Me&My Guitar just mentioned, the only way they have any effect on the tone is by adding mass to the bridge.

Bridge pins are not primary sound conductors like the bridge saddle, nor are they secondary sound conductors like the nut. At best, they're tertiary sound conductors, in the same realm as the frets and tuning gears.

whm
Old 01-09-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The pins are not designed to be sound conductors, and as "Me&My Guitar just mentioned, the only way they have any effect on the tone is by adding mass to the bridge.

Bridge pins are not primary sound conductors like the bridge saddle, nor are they secondary sound conductors like the nut. At best, they're tertiary sound conductors, in the same realm as the frets and tuning gears.

whm

Agreed..thats why i said you really wont hear a big diff, but, horn or bone will not be a factor in climate condish....I do agree with wade that, at best tertiary.(Third in order or level.) sound conductors...Solo

Mike Solo
Old 01-09-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

whm
Agree... when the string cross the Saddle the deal is over...Like using a Capo.....at that point does it matter if the nut is bone or newspaper? Although as my hearing and I age I'm saving lots and OCDing less, and hearing less n less.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:14 PM

From what I have heard, bridge pins may need to be custom fitted to your guitar in order to get the proper snugness and fit that makes for the most efficient transfer of sound. Check out some of the stuff at Stewmac - not that you would go out and do this for yourself but some food for thought:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,...1&xst=3&xsr=28

It just seems to me that it is not just the material used but how these pins fit in the bridge/bridgeplate of your guitar.

Alvarez Yairi DY-45
Alvarez Yairi DY-71 Koa Graphite
Takamine Santa Fe
Ovation Celebrity
Ibanez Anhorra Recital Classic
(and lots of gadgets, acessories, and electric and bass guitars but who cares about all that right?)
Old 01-09-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yairi Player View Post
...the proper snugness and fit that makes for the most efficient transfer of sound.....
Pins do not transfer sound, they just keep on site the strings.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Five and Dime,

No offense, but as Frank said, "Shut up and play yer guitar!"

Regards & Enjoy It!,

SpruceTop
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-09-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckong View Post
I like the tone and looks of bone pins.

I usually do not care for the color of pins whether black or white, but vintage died bone pins would be good.
These are dyed bone pins from Colossi on my Larrivee 00-03MT. The flash makes them look lighter in tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion