The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Default GS Mini vs. Martin 000X1/00X1

I'm looking for couch guitar that I can leave out and not really worry about. I'm intrigued by the GS Mini after hearing so much about it on the boards, however I'm not sure I want a "smaller" guitar.

In terms of size and feel, how does the GS mini stack up against the smaller bodied Martin X series guitars? They are both around the same price and if you look at the specs, there isn't a wide gap in size other than perhaps length. The new X-Series Martin has a pick up already installed if I choose to go that route.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the two side by side??

thanks in advance
Old 11-03-2010, 08:51 AM

I have played both and liked both.
I also found that I don't play my smaller guitar very often. It doesn't have the sound that my larger guitars have, which was the reason that I bought them in the first place.
I just use it when I'm away from home and don't want to take the bigger guitar.

So my point is this.
Be sure that you will like the smaller guitar enough to warrant buying one.
New guitar lust or GAS can be expensive.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:59 AM

make sure you play 1 first. im only 5'6" and had leg surgery last winter. cant play dreads anymore so looked for a couch guitar. was really intrigued by the mini. but after playing 1 at guitar center, way too small. very uncomfortable. sound was ok but was the size of a toy guitar in my opinion. found a breedlove american series conceret size that fits perfect and sounds amazing for just over the minis price. just too small.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

it takes a few times playing a smaller guitar to get comfortable, but my 6' 7" husband plays my cargo with no problem, and he liked my laguna little brat so much that i gave it to him.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:46 AM

I bought a 000X1 a couple of years ago to use in situations where I wouldn't take one of my better guitars. It's no D-35, but it still sounds Martin-ish and is durable. Very forgiving when it comes to temperature and humidity changes, stays in tune very well. No complaints.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:55 AM

I'd also try before you buy if you can.

Some folks adjust easily to the feel of mini size guitars and some people don;t, and some people adjust to the sound of mini guitars and some don't...

I haven't played the particular guitars you've mentioned, but I would expect there to be a major personality difference between them - I would expect the x series Martin's to sound Martinish, and the mini Taylor to sound Taylorish, and if true, these guitars would sound very different from each other, regardless of body size.

If you like Martin's, then get the Martin.
If you like Taylor's, then get a Taylor.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Guest 2143

Can't comment on the GS Mini as I have never played one, but I do have a 000X1 that I really like. I gig with it often.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion