The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-13-2010, 05:50 PM

Default Guild GAD-30

Relatively new to the forum so, hello to all.

I gotta say, I was at a local guitar shop the other day and picked up this instrument (spruce top, mahogany back/sides, rosewood fretboard/bridge, bone nut and saddle) and really loved it.

http://www.guildguitars.com/instrume...tno=3810200821

I wasn't necessarily in the market for a new guitar but did want an OM for fingerstyle as I've got plenty of dreads and I was really drawn to the attractive look of the guitar. I picked it up and it played wonderfully. Needless to say, I walked out of the store that day with the guitar. A week later, I'm still thrilled with it.

Plays wonderfully, and sounds great, especially for the price. It was really a bargain. Sure, it's not as nice as the higher end Guilds, Martins, Taylors, etc., but I think for the price it's a steal. I got a guitar I'm really happy with and spent about 1/3 of what I did on my last guitar.

Anyone played one of these before? Own one? What do you think?
Old 10-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

We've owned a couple of GADs here at our house. I think they are a terrific bargain.

Chris.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:58 PM

I picked up a used GAD 30R about a year ago and it's one of best buys I've made. Great build, wide fingerstyle fretboard and string spacing, and a good looker, too..

Gary
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS
Old 10-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

When I left Fender in Jan 2006, I was given a Guild GAD30R, signed on the back by a bunch of my Fender friends. I saved it carefully in its case until about 3 months ago when I pulled it out to play it. It sounded so good, I am using it exclusively for my 8daypsalmist busking project. I love that guitar!

The guitar has special sentimental meaning to me and even though constant playing is rubbing off the "sharpie well wishes" I know that my Fender Buds would want me to play it, not hang it on the wall for decoration.

I have it tuned to DADGAD, strung with D'Addario 13-56's, capo'd at the 2nd fret to play in the key of E. It sounds fantastic, nice and full, projects quite loud. It is a beautiful prototype vintage violin type sunburst. Looks like a really old guitar color. Not another one like it anywhere.

Enjoy your new guitar - I sure do enjoy mine!

Peace,
James
Old 10-13-2010, 07:33 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPicker View Post
...Plays wonderfully, and sounds great, especially for the price. It was really a bargain. Sure, it's not as nice as the higher end Guilds, Martins, Taylors, etc., but I think for the price it's a steal. I got a guitar I'm really happy with and spent about 1/3 of what I did on my last guitar...?
I have played a couple of these in stores and was impressed (also a couple GAD M-20's).
They must inspect them very well because I sure couldn't find anything wrong with the build quality or materials, and the concept and specs are good.

I like Guilds generally, from way back, and have a couple US dreads and a jazzer (Savoy).

The GAD series seem to be well luthiered guitars. Some have nice trim features that appeal to me (diamond shape position markers on ebony, on some versions, etc.).

Congrats.

And welcome!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

I've got the GAD-30RE and of all my guitars it seems to get the lion's share of playing time. I can't give you exact reasons but it seems to be my "guitar grab" when I walk by a triple stand in my den? Maybe for all the reasons mentioned above and then some. I just connect with it somehow? There are a lot of GAD fans here for sure. Good luck...hope you get it. I doubt you'll be disappointed...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I've got the GAD-30RE and of all my guitars it seems to get the lion's share of playing time. I can't give you exact reasons but it seems to be my "guitar grab" when I walk by a triple stand in my den? Maybe for all the reasons mentioned above and then some. I just connect with it somehow? There are a lot of GAD fans here for sure. Good luck...hope you get it. I doubt you'll be disappointed...
Oh I got it. That day. I've never bought a guitar on impulse like that before, but for whatever reason I pulled the trigger. Not a good habit to get into, but I don't regret it yet.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:29 PM

Smile

I have a Gad 25 all mahogany guitar....just love it and it is getting better with time....beautiful deep bottom and punchy mids...love it for finger picking....using pb lights on it. records wonderfully as well.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy.blair@sym View Post
I have a Gad 25 all mahogany guitar....just love it and it is getting better with time....beautiful deep bottom and punchy mids...love it for finger picking....using pb lights on it. records wonderfully as well.
+1 on the GAD-25.

Had a similar situation happen to me where I wasn't looking for a guitar but picked up the GAD-25 and was blown away by it's beauty, quality, tone and warmth. My only gripe is the finish is a little thick but it is a very nice all-Mahogany guitar for a very reasonable price.
Gibson Jackson Browne Model 1
Gibson J-45 Studio
Taylor 714CE
Takamine Glenn Frey Signature
Old 10-13-2010, 10:56 PM

I had a GAD-30R for a few years, bought it back when they first came out. At the time I was looking for something inexpensive to use as an office practice guitar. I a/b'd it against a Larrivee OM-O3R and picked the Guild as the better sounding and playing of the two. Loved the string spacing, neck, and great tone. Terrific guitar, mine was an iced-tea burst, which Guild doesn't do anymore. I sold it (and several others) when I had to raise funds for bills, wish I could have held onto it. I doubt you'll eve regret buying yours.

By the way, welcome to the forum GBPicker.

Dennis
Old 10-13-2010, 11:37 PM

I had a GAD 30E a couple years ago & really loved it, but finances dictated that i downsize my herd & that was one that went. i sure miss it.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

https://soundcloud.com/fat-daddy-206551814

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEo...JZsD2t0JaE03xg
Old 10-14-2010, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPicker View Post
Oh I got it. That day. I've never bought a guitar on impulse like that before, but for whatever reason I pulled the trigger. Not a good habit to get into, but I don't regret it yet.
I doubt you ever will regret it! It's a sweet little guitar with a lot to offer most any playing style. Mine is set up pretty low so it won't take much aggressive strumming or flat picking but I play mostly finger style and it suits just fine. Glad you made an impulse buy...enjoy!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:39 PM

I'm prefer 'hog backed guits, but the rosewood GAD is the only Rosewood guitar that I really liked the sound of.
Did I buy it?
maybe someday
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 10-14-2010, 01:03 PM

I have a GAD30R with aftermarket K & K electronics and I like it a lot!
It has become my office guitar, bumping my Taylor Big Baby out of that gig (It's now at home in its case).
It's not just a great value; it's a darn nice guitar, comfortable to play and great to hear.

Russ
Old 10-14-2010, 01:26 PM

You need to drop into the Let's Talk Guild Forum - they are CRAZY about Guilds - for good reason.

I owned several Guilds over the years - wonderful guitars all. Long and interesting history there which you should read up on. Made to be Played !!!
Collings OM2H Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion